Starwars style holographic 3DTV a reality by 2018

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Starwars style holographic 3DTV a reality by 2018

Post by cybereality »

"It's likely that within three years we will see a TV on the market which will use autostereo systems to create 3D images, so that viewers do not need to wear traditional 3D glasses. However, in ten years time it is highly probable that TV using holographic images which would appear to float as if in mid air will be available for consumers to purchase."
http://www.physorg.com/news147454178.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Starwars style holographic 3DTV a reality by 2018

Post by Okta »

Is this one of those threads where we can all make wild unfounded assumptions? Cool.

'By 2009, we will all be travelling to work in flying cars!'
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Okta wrote:Is this one of those threads where we can all make wild unfounded assumptions? Cool.

'By 2009, we will all be travelling to work in flying cars!'
Me too. I'll participate.

I was watching a tv program about the future and big engineering projects. They were talking about making a tunnel for a high speed train underwater at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean to connect Europe and America. To help the train travel faster and use less energy, they would make a vacuum in the tunnel. The travel time would be even shorter than flying by plane. That's a pretty cool project.

I don't see the point of holographic TV, if it existed. You can't film something to be shown on a holographic display with a camera. You would need to film from every angle possible. I think it would only work with renders and even then,not really because it would require too much processing to render, or maybe I don't understand how it should theoretically work.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Sulix
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sulix »

it "would" work, but probably not in realtime. You'd need a custom light distribution per pixels, which actually is exact the same thing which happens on object surfaces in global illumination rendering algorithms. Anyways, I don't expect holographic displays to bring that much innovation, it's just a better way to handle objects out of focus, objects in focus still would appear in just the same way as on usual stereoscopic screens. This would probably reduce cybersickness through eye convergence/aperture inconsistences.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Tril wrote:You can't film something to be shown on a holographic display with a camera. You would need to film from every angle possible. I think it would only work with renders and even then,not really because it would require too much processing to render, or maybe I don't understand how it should theoretically work.
It would need to be a special holographic camera that worked via lasers, then you could film it. Obviously not with a standard camera.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

The problem with holographic display is that you need actual physical 3D space to display it.
So no matter what you film, it can't be bigger than your display (or scaled down).

Holographic displays are really cool toys and everybody dreams about it since the first time we've seen princess leia projected by R2D2 in starwars, but it's applications are extremely limited, so i believe even if this technology was possible, it wouldn't replace a 3D tv bcause it's too different.
It's like comparing a painting to a statue.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”