Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

lohan
Cross Eyed!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Post by lohan »

Sorry guys if I am missing something here but I can't find any existing topic for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019).

I am hearing and reading stunning feedback for both the game's campaign and for the incredible graphics it offers. This one looks like the next step in terms of photo-realism.

Now I would like to know if there is any chance for a 3D Vision fix or are we limited to 2D for this title?
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Post by DJ-RK »

Historically CoD games don't really seem to pick up much interest from Shaderhackers, though I'm semi-interested in picking this one up when I can afford to (which is not anytime soon being out of work, and saving what little spending $ I currently have for RDR2). You may have noticed I put out a CoD: BO1 fix recently, which obviously is no coincidence with the timing ;). I picked up CoD: WWII in the recent Humble Bundle as well and have had a preliminary look at that to see how feasible fixing their more recent engines are, and that one looks a bit tough, but in the realm of possibility. Not sure how this new MW will compare though, if it's a modified engine or new one entirely. Do we know if it even uses DX11 at all, or DX12 exclusive? I more than half expected the latter, with it's heavy focus on ray-tracing, but I suppose DX11 is still in the realm of possibility.
Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Shift-E »

Yeah I believe it is DX12 only, something I really hope doesn’t start happening more often with AAA games
Joker18
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Joker18 »

The Beta was DX12 only. This is the reason why I didn't buy the game.
I believe they didn't add DX11 in the meantime.
3D Gamer using Avegant Glyph & LG 65E6V
No hidden talents.
lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

Just asked a friend who owns the game and he confirmed it's DX12 only!

So that definitely means no 3D Vision, right!?
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

lohan wrote:Just asked a friend who owns the game and he confirmed it's DX12 only!

Not at all! This is a huge misconception.

People have confirmed that DX12 works without problems.

The misconception is rooted in the fact that originally, DX12 games were only released on the windows store with its draconian DRM that didn't allow injection or hooking.

If the game isn't Windows Store DRM, then it ought to work, but will require work to be implemented. I'm unsure of 3DMigoto works with DX12 etc as of yet.

Short answer - more dfficult but not impossible, from my [humble] understanding.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

Thanks for the clarification, Ragedemon!
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

I feel this is relevant to this conversation. I just asked on Discord about the future of 3DMigoto, and any plans for a DX12 capable version, and this is the answer I got from DarkStarSword:
DarkStarSword wrote:"DX12 will require some significant changes in 3DMigoto, though I'm actually hopeful that the 11on12 layer will allow us to port the command list and other features (e.g. I've already ported the overlay using it) with significantly less effort than would be required otherwise
For Windows store apps, check if the app shows up under Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps
Microsoft finally added an official way to mod UWP apps, though I believe they may have to opt in, so I'm not sure how universal that is, and I assume we will still need some changes in 3DMigoto to support keyboard + mouse (Xbox controller already works, as does 3DMigoto running from another directory)
Also the fact that we now have a DX9 port of 3DMigoto thanks to davegl1234 will hopefully make things a little easier to do the DX12 port.... however I still have to get around to properly merging that into master, so consider it still early days"
So, certainly no guarantee that it will come to fruition, but at least it's promising to know capable minds are thinking towards this and that we may one day be able to get this and a few other key titles fixed in 3D. Also DX9 3DMigoto!!!! Woohoo!
lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

This is indeed great news DJ-RK! Thanks for the heads-up!
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

DJ-RK wrote:I feel this is relevant to this conversation. I just asked on Discord about the future of 3DMigoto, and any plans for a DX12 capable version, and this is the answer I got from DarkStarSword:
DarkStarSword wrote:"DX12 will require some significant changes in 3DMigoto, though I'm actually hopeful that the 11on12 layer will allow us to port the command list and other features (e.g. I've already ported the overlay using it) with significantly less effort than would be required otherwise
For Windows store apps, check if the app shows up under Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps
Microsoft finally added an official way to mod UWP apps, though I believe they may have to opt in, so I'm not sure how universal that is, and I assume we will still need some changes in 3DMigoto to support keyboard + mouse (Xbox controller already works, as does 3DMigoto running from another directory)
Also the fact that we now have a DX9 port of 3DMigoto thanks to davegl1234 will hopefully make things a little easier to do the DX12 port.... however I still have to get around to properly merging that into master, so consider it still early days"
So, certainly no guarantee that it will come to fruition, but at least it's promising to know capable minds are thinking towards this and that we may one day be able to get this and a few other key titles fixed in 3D. Also DX9 3DMigoto!!!! Woohoo!
Ok, this is major news. I have been wondering if this was possible without a new 3D driver, and good to hear it can work on existing drivers. Obviously updating 3DMigoto to work with DX12 is a huge undertaking, but I can't help feel this is a major key to keeping 3D vision alive. With the new consoles having dedicated hardware for raytracing, the majority of multiplatform games will include raytracing on pc and thus DX12 on pc. It is only a matter of time before they stop including DX11 options much like COD did.

Another big thing, ray tracing can look pretty awesome and would be amazing in 3D. Anyone who has played Control (great fix by Losti), take the time after you beat it to try the ray tracing features out in 2D DX12. It is very impressive and immersive, way better than other games implementation. Obviously we would all take 3D over ray tracing any day of the week, but in a perfect world they are not mutually exclusive and we could have both. 3D, ray tracing, and HDR all together might just be gaming nirvana :shock:

This deserves a thread of its own, but understand might not be best since its only very early on - but it could generate some donations for development of a new DX12 3DMigoto. very exciting news indeed!
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

Has anyone tried to use Helifax Compatibility Mode Unleashed with Modern Warfare? I heard it can work with DX12.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Compatibility mode only works on DX11, unfortunately.
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

@ DJ-RK, just to make it clear, I know this is a long shot ;)

But, with a working? 3DMigoto DX9, will you perhaps consider revisiting GTA4 ?
It would be a blast from the past :)

Edit: Sorry I know this is off topic...
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Blacksmith60 wrote:@ DJ-RK, just to make it clear, I know this is a long shot ;)

But, with a working? 3DMigoto DX9, will you perhaps consider revisiting GTA4 ?
It would be a blast from the past :)

Edit: Sorry I know this is off topic...
I actually did just try revisiting GTA4 less than a month ago. Right after I did my CoD:Black Ops fix, I decided to see if dgVoodoo + 3DMigoto would work on GTA4 as well, and the good news is it does. Bad news is that I don't know if it's possible to fix shadows, regardless of which wrapper we use. The problem is that after dumping all of the game's shaders and looking through them it appears the game only makes use of a couple stereo transform matrices, and unfortunately not all the ones that would be needed to perform the requires transformations in the shader to be able to fix shadows.

I absolutely would love to play GTA4 again in 3D, it was one of my all-time favourite gaming experiences in my life. Every time I start it up again trying to fix it, and start watching the introductory cutscenes I just get this comforting feeling come over me, but alas, without the proper tools to do the job (which, again, is due to the game engine, not the API or wrappers involved) I can't really do too much.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

DJ-RK wrote: I absolutely would love to play GTA4 again in 3D, it was one of my all-time favourite gaming experiences in my life. Every time I start it up again trying to fix it, and start watching the introductory cutscenes I just get this comforting feeling come over me, but alas, without the proper tools to do the job (which, again, is due to the game engine, not the API or wrappers involved) I can't really do too much.
Same for me, thanks for trying, I hope you'll figure out some day ;)
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

DJ-RK wrote: I absolutely would love to play GTA4 again in 3D, it was one of my all-time favourite gaming experiences in my life. Every time I start it up again trying to fix it, and start watching the introductory cutscenes I just get this comforting feeling come over me, but alas, without the proper tools to do the job (which, again, is due to the game engine, not the API or wrappers involved) I can't really do too much.
We have a mutual feeling here guys ;)

Thanks for trying again, allow me to keep up the hope that some day.....
It's just not worth it in 2D, but in 3D heavely modded, yeah yeah, happy days :woot
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

Wow this is great news, it's still a long shot but it's amazing to hear that DDS is giving a look to Dx12 in 3d.

So I'm unashamedly posting here a link to DDS patreon, let's see if we can help him a bit to make dx12 in 3d a reality (just think Red Dead Redemption 2 in 3d :o) :
https://www.patreon.com/DarkStarSword/posts
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
youcanyouwill
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by youcanyouwill »

I played that game last week and find it very enjoyable but most outstanding game in warfare history is warfare 1917 unblocked.
8-)
floph
Cross Eyed!

Post by floph »

lohan wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:01 am Just asked a friend who owns the game and he confirmed it's DX12 only!

There are some people who confirm that DirectX 11 works as well
They force the Game to Start with DirectX 11:
https://quoramarketing.com/fix-dev-erro ... n-warfare/

Does this mean that CM Unleashed will work if the game runs on DirectX 11 ?
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Yeah, it might make it a possibility (but some games still manage to block CMU even if they are DX11). It also means it might even be possible to make a proper 3D fix for this game after all... in which case this game would officially be back on my radar!

Anyone here own the game? If so, could you please try to run it with the -d3d11 launch option (like mentioned in the link above), and confirm using an OSD like Afterburner that it is, in fact, running as DX11? Alternatively to using an OSD to confirm it's DX11, you could also just try to install 3DMigoto and see if that works.
floph
Cross Eyed!

Post by floph »

DJ-RK wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:22 pm Yeah, it might make it a possibility (but some games still manage to block CMU even if they are DX11). It also means it might even be possible to make a proper 3D fix for this game after all... in which case this game would officially be back on my radar!

Anyone here own the game? If so, could you please try to run it with the -d3d11 launch option (like mentioned in the link above), and confirm using an OSD like Afterburner that it is, in fact, running as DX11? Alternatively to using an OSD to confirm it's DX11, you could also just try to install 3DMigoto and see if that works.
Since no-one has the game, I decided to buy it and see if it works.

I started the game with the 425.31 nVidia driver, but I got the Dev Error 5759.
After that I updated to the last nVidia driver (451.67) and tried to start the game with the -d3d11 launch option, and the game launched successfully.
I started the 3DMigoto loader, and I got the following log in the 3DMigoto loader folder:

Code: Select all

D3D11 DLL starting init - v 1.3.16 - Sun Jul 12 04:16:47 2020

Game path: R:\Games\Blizzard\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\ModernWarfare.exe
3DMigoto path: C:\Users\flo\Downloads\3Dmigoto-1.3.16\loader\x64\d3d11.dll

Supports IUnknown: 000001AEEE833710
  Win 8.1 interfaces not checked (3DMigoto built with old SDK)
  Win 10 & DX12 interfaces not checked (3DMigoto built with old SDK)
  Win 10 RS3 interfaces not checked (3DMigoto built with old SDK)
FATAL: Unsupported DirectX Version!
The full log is in the attached d3d11_log.txt file.

I don't know if I used 3DMigoto correctly, it's the first time I used it, but 3DMigoto crashed when i started COD Modern Warfare. I tried it also with Hellblade and it didn't crash.
I couldn't tell if COD Modern Warfare really used DirectX 11 with the -d3d11 launch option.

Is there another way to find out if it uses DirectX 11 or 12 ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

That's a telltale sign it's DX12, and PCGamingWiki says it is too.
Win 10 v1909 / 1x Nvidia 980Ti GPU (v452.22, 1080p)
Vaeltaja
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vaeltaja »

In past few years I've tried to launch maybe 10 different games with Steam's launch parameters to get them run using different DX and I've never succeeded. Even games that should have supported earlier versions of DX always started only with latest version they supported. I tried -d3d9, -dx9, -dxlevel 90 or even -force d3d9 etc. commands but none of them worked (dx9 is just an example). It might be game specific so I can't say it won't work at all, I just never had any luck.
Vaeltaja
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vaeltaja »

paulbanks wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:32 pm That's really weird. But I've seen something similar from other people. I think it's a common problem.
There's some other launch parameters that haven't worked either but I don't remember what they were. Some parameters, like "-window-mode exclusive", work like charm. I've never really bothered to find out what might cause this, if there even is an explanation.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

floph wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:59 pm Is there another way to find out if it uses DirectX 11 or 12 ?
I've always used MSI Afterburner to check the Direct X version. So you could use it to verify that the launch command is
working for dx11.

BTW, for those that do not know, MSI Afterburner has had a UI overhaul.

Here's a video showing the new features, you can also see where it shows that the game being used in the
demonstration, is running on dx9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pHuv8Ndc2Y

Note: Afterburner will not list the version of OpenGL being used, it just shows OpenGL. On older games using dx8 or lower
nothing will show up.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Captain007
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Captain007 »

So I had this game in backlog for a while and waiting hopefully for a fix. As here and in Nvidia forum I got conflicting reports of this being DX12 only or DX11; some had error launching it, some said it works but everything broken. I decided to install and check it out for myself.

I have good news. I can confirm it is DX11. Both regular and compatibility modes work. Even better, game looks excellent in regular 3D Vision out of the box, with minor fixes needed here and there, but definitely playable and looking beautiful at it's current unfixed state. Shadows for majority are at correct depth. Some issues I noticed are lights sources at wrong depth, minor shadows and reflections.

I tried applying Infinite Warfare fix but no change. I also tried Black ops 2 and Advanced Warfare fixes but no change. I lowered graphics and turned most effects off, but no major difference. I would say if we can get the light sources fixed, the rest are more than acceptable. This is the best COD campaign in the franchise history so I think it deserves a proper 3D Vision treatment.

I have Windows 10 1809 with driver 425 (last official driver), RTX 2080 ti, and Asus PG27VQ display.

Hope some day we see a fix for it :)
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Captain007 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:38 pmI have good news. I can confirm it is DX11.
I've gone through this exact situation with The Division 2 before where I verified Dx12 and had people still think it was Dx11. Would you care to elaborate how you confirmed this? Because...
Both regular and compatibility modes work....
is not any real indication of that. Have you verified with any application such as Afterburner/Rivatuner to confirm the API in use is DX11? If not, then please do so first and report back. (and if possible provide a screenshot for us to verify)
My Killer 3D Gaming System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes
Captain007
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Captain007 »

Thanks DJ-RK; of course it's always a good idea to confirm if it's actually DX11. While I don't have either Afterburner or Rivatuner on my system, I did however run 3DMigoto in hunting mode for Modern Warfare Remastered folder. I could confirm that 3DMigoto loaded fine and I was able to cycle through shaders and mark shaders. I could even remove some annoying lighting effects that I found in the opening scene (shooting range) that I tested. But I'm not an advanced user in shader hunting so I left it at that. PCGamingWiki also reports DX11 https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Call_ ... Remastered

I assume if the game was DX12 3DMigoto wouldn't work or let me mark shaders. Steam version is DX11 at least that I can tell. There might be DX12 versions on other platforms. Again, as I'm not advanced user, nor have Afterburner but I'd be surprised to know if 3DMigoto works like that on DX12 games.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Captain007 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:39 pm Thanks DJ-RK; of course it's always a good idea to confirm if it's actually DX11. While I don't have either Afterburner or Rivatuner on my system, I did however run 3DMigoto in hunting mode for Modern Warfare Remastered folder.
I assume if the game was DX12 3DMigoto wouldn't work or let me mark shaders.
This is correct. 3DMigoto loading and seeing it's overlay and/or being able to dump shaders is indeed a proper indication that a title is Dx11, so thanks for taking the time to confirm that.

I admittedly was eyeing this game in Blizzard's black friday sale (which is why I questioned you in the first place. It wasn't that I was skeptical of you per se, I just didn't want to get my hopes up without good reason), but even at 50% off wasn't enough to entice me to buy thinking it was a definitive Dx12 title. At least now I know if I ever see it at another attractive price it'll be worth picking up (although I doubt that'll be for a while, both on Blizzard's part for rarely doing sales and on my part for not having any time to work on fixes for the rest of the year). Thanks again for confirming that.
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes
Captain007
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Captain007 »

Thanks DJ-RK, yah it would be awesome to have a fix in future when you get the chance.
Also worth mentioning, I noticed a few posts above by floph from Jul 11, 2020. I think he has the Blizzard version of the game, and that is DX12. He said he was able to force DX11 via launch option and load the game with 3DMigoto, but it ended up crashing. He also reported that the game was crashing with last official driver version 425.31 even in DX12. He had to update drivers to 451.67 to even run the game. I have the Steam version of the game, last official driver 425.31, Windows 10 1809, and the game runs with no issues, and 3DMigoto runs totally fine. No crashes or anything, no launch options to force DX11 or anything.

I suspect that Steam version is the most stable version, running natively in DX11 and would give us the best chance and platform to fix this game. For example the RTX ray tracing options are not even there in the game display options, but I have read about optimizing the game on other platforms where ray tracing is an option in menu.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Oh, looks like there's been a misunderstanding... sorry to say, but we're not talking about the same game here. You are referring to the older remaster of COD4, which originally came as a pack-in bonus with either CoD Advanced or Infinite Warfare. The game which this topic is about is an actual remake of COD:MW entirely, which is only available on Blizzard. I admittedly had forgotten the version you are playing even existed, but you mentioning you were playing it on Steam was what tipped me off that we weren't talking about the same game and jogged my memory.
Performance results here

Captain007
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Captain007 »

Ahh LOL you are right. And honestly I didn't even know that Call of Duty Modern Warfare Blizzard even existed Lol. I was looking for any threads discussing remastered COD4 Modern Warfare to avoid duplicate threads and this thread came up Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019). I'm not very up to date on Call of Duty series these days since they left Steam so I assumed its the remaster. As you mentioned earlier COD games are not really the best pick for 3D gamers or shaderhackers. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll start a new thread for remaster in the Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”