Red Dead Redemption 2 - 3D Vision working?

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 3D Vision working?

Post by makarastar »

Hi, all

Just bought the game (Ultimate Edition) - and I saw some threads here about RDR2 working in 3D, but as I use 3D Fix Manager / Helix - not sure what "Re-shade" is?

How do I play RDR2 in 3D Vision?

Many thanks :-)
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 3D Vision working?

Post by skyrimer »

There's no real fix, reshade is fake 3d, however I'd wait since Helifax has created a Vulkan wrapper and RDR2 uses Vulkan, so the possibility of a fix with real 3d is on the cards, no ETA though.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

Thanks a a ton - Helifax is awesome :-)
Rhialto
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rhialto »

The Online version is now cheap and since my 2 sons bought full RDR2 a few days ago I was wonderwing if I should buy. I told myself if 3D Vision works then sure yes but now I read it's not yet the case.

Because it's a Rockstar game I had hope it would be like GTA5.

P.S. I was expecting this thread to be under "Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting"
floph
Cross Eyed!

Post by floph »

I played RDR2 in 3D with Superdepth3D and it looks great. I highly recommend to give it a try.
makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

What's superdepth, an alternative to Helix / alternative to Nvidia 3d vision? How does one use it?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Rockstar Games will make Red Dead Redemption 2’s multiplayer component, Red Dead Online, available as a stand-alone game come Dec. 1, the company announced.
Red Dead Online will launch for $4.99 (a 75% discount available until Feb. 15)

Players will have the option to purchase Red Dead Redemption 2’s story mode separately, an upgrade that will also unlock “all existing gameplay upgrades and content” — including the Bounty Hunters expansion that is launching next week.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/24/2161 ... one-ps4-pc

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-d ... 0-6485043/
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

makarastar wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:46 pm What's superdepth, an alternative to Helix / alternative to Nvidia 3d vision? How does one use it?

It's like Nvidia's Compatibility mode or TriDefs Power3D.

Download it at
https://github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D

There's also a related thread with settings posted by Costiq and maddcatt

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23324&hilit=red+d ... &start=120
makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

Many thanks :-)
makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

I downloaded and installed "Reshade" - and chose "Depth3d" - and the RDR2 screen does go into "Double Vision" mode as Nvidia 3D Vision would - but the Nvidia 3D Vision IR Emitter / glasses don't come on

- is there a different way to activate them using Reshade?
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

makarastar wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:06 pm I downloaded and installed "Reshade" - and chose "Depth3d" - and the RDR2 screen does go into "Double Vision" mode as Nvidia 3D Vision would - but the Nvidia 3D Vision IR Emitter / glasses don't come on

- is there a different way to activate them using Reshade?
With a 3D Vision monitor, anaglyph is all you can do for ReShade + Vulkan at the moment, until/if Helifax makes ReShade shaders work with Vk3DVision, just like he did for OpenGL.
makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

@masterotaku - Thanks - your username looks very familiar, either from Helix, or Nvidia forums - unless I'm mistaken.

I tried switching to Anaglyph - but still the 3D Vision emitter won't come on.

In Reshade I've selected RDR2 / Vulkan / Depth3d - and when in the game, I've chosen the "3d" (or 3d.ini?) profile in the Reshade overlay.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong from the above?
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Or, Helifax is trying to do a proper fix for RDR2, so if you're patient maybe it'll be possible to play it with a geometry fix in a few months.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

@Lysander - thanks, I really hope so - certain games I can do without being in 3D - but open world games like this and GTA 4 + 5 sort of suck in 2D mode :-)

(speaking of which - awful that 3D of any sort deactivates multiplayer in "Watch Dogs 2" - how unfair!)
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

makarastar wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:37 am @Lysander - thanks, I really hope so - certain games I can do without being in 3D - but open world games like this and GTA 4 + 5 sort of suck in 2D mode :-)

(speaking of which - awful that 3D of any sort deactivates multiplayer in "Watch Dogs 2" - how unfair!)
yeah, most FPP and TPP games these days I don't really play if there's no 3D fix. When I run out of content I MIGHT play the last 3 AC games with CMU cause I really wanna play them but still hold some hopes for a 3D fix as they are so beautiful :D I'll play Diablo 4 in 2D cause that's my favourite series and I will play that game in multiplayer a lot. For now I have a huge backlog that'll keep me busy for months/years to come (just finished the amazing Titanfall 2).

Lets hope Helifax is successful with RDR2, that would be glorious, especially that we could utilise 30xx-series cards (maybe it wouldn't sway me to upgrade per se, but it'd be a treat for ppl who have those cards already and an open upgrade path).
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Just a head up because it's christmas in RDR2 Online so there is snow everywhere on the map, it's superb!
maddcatt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maddcatt »

floph wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:43 pm I played RDR2 in 3D with Superdepth3D and it looks great. I highly recommend to give it a try.
Although, my post is quite late, I have on an occasion or two used used Superdepth3D. It looks okay at best. None of the fake 3D rendering come even remotely close to the real thing.

I played RDR2 for a bit with reshade+superdepth3D but dropped it soon enough. If anyone still wants to play fake 3D, I'd recommend this nexusmod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/96

Another problem I faced initially was that I could not use the steam version for some reason with reshade. It has something to do with the launcher. So, I bought a direct copy. Maybe I am a noob or maybe I don't know any better.

That said, fake 3D is fake. Some day, I would like to play RDR2, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. in real 3D and I'll wait till a fix is out.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

For anyone looking to play this using Superdepth 3D that is unfamiliar with using it, try the settings mentioned in the other Red Dead 2 thread posted by maddcatt or costiq
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23324&start=120
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

A VR mod has emerged for this game - see https://gamerant.com/red-dead-redemption-2-vr-mod/. Luke Ross’ VR mod for Grand Theft Auto 5 is very good.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

whyme466 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:08 pm A VR mod has emerged for this game - see https://gamerant.com/red-dead-redemption-2-vr-mod/. Luke Ross’ VR mod for Grand Theft Auto 5 is very good.
You mean this.....
https://www.patreon.com/realvr

Sure.. maybe I should also ask 10$ per GAME fix from now on! Other fixers should be millionaires by now at this rate....
However it clearly shows... a few things.....
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Interesting. Luke Ross’ GTA5 mod has been available WITHOUT Patreon support.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

whyme466 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:45 pm Interesting. Luke Ross’ GTA5 mod has been available WITHOUT Patreon support.
Sure! GTA5 is an old game and not as "in demand" as RDR2.
I do think the game is spectacular and awesome... but I also think he is basically "exploiting this to his advantage" :)
While both me and you have been playing games since forever, the "new generation" hasn't and clearly they believe it's the most awesome thing since "sliced bread"... which it isn't...
Just look on Steam on the Mass Effect Legendary Edition and how many people don't know about the games... and that is what? 10-14 years ago...
I guess in a world dominated by Fortnite and the likes, the new generation doesn't actually know what PROPER video-games are :))
Still awesome, but in the same time, I feel like he is "crypto-mining" the people a bit ^_^ It's ONE MOD for ONE GAME and while I see all the effort he put into this, still...

And what is interesting is that the number keeps on growing... started from 40, 4 hours ago when I checked to 66, 2 hours ago and now 105 at 01:08 AM GMT+0 (So that is what?! almost 1000£ this month? :)) ) So much for "the modding community and passion for Stereo3D and VR"... It is a business now... Maybe I should do the same.... :(
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

Couldn't agree more with everything you said, Helifax.

I am mystified by those consumers - the Fortnite/Call of Duty/etc. players that play one game over and over again. Admittedly, I have never understood the long-term fascination with any multiplayer game, nor do I want to be involved exclusively in one world. I would be bored out of my mind. Maybe these singularly focused new-age "gamers" see dropping $10/month (or whatever the amount is) on the ONE game they play as a sound investment, but it seems ridiculous to me.

So, they plan on contributing $120+/year to hopefully have a stable, playable VR version of a game for which they paid $60, or less? Math just doesn't make sense to me, nor does that level of dedication to a single experience - no matter how great it might be.

That being said... your work has been invaluable to me, as has DHR's, Losti's, DJ-RK's, Masterotaku's, 4EverAwake's, et., al. You all put your time and effort into this passion project and should be compensated appropriately and in a way that you think is fair.

I have been all-in on S3D since the days of the SEGA Master System, and plan on riding the 3SD/VR train for as long/as far as it (and those that make it possible) will take me. We all see so much benefit from the work the small group of you do and, while I can't speak for others, I plan on continuing to contribute $$ to the cause, in whatever form it takes, to the best of my ability for as long as I have the ability. :)
lay72
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by lay72 »

thebigdogma wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:26 pm Couldn't agree more with everything you said, Helifax.

I am mystified by those consumers - the Fortnite/Call of Duty/etc. players that play one game over and over again. Admittedly, I have never understood the long-term fascination with any multiplayer game, nor do I want to be involved exclusively in one world. I would be bored out of my mind. Maybe these singularly focused new-age "gamers" see dropping $10/month (or whatever the amount is) on the ONE game they play as a sound investment, but it seems ridiculous to me.

So, they plan on contributing $120+/year to hopefully have a stable, playable VR version of a game for which they paid $60, or less? Math just doesn't make sense to me, nor does that level of dedication to a single experience - no matter how great it might be.

That being said... your work has been invaluable to me, as has DHR's, Losti's, DJ-RK's, Masterotaku's, 4EverAwake's, et., al. You all put your time and effort into this passion project and should be compensated appropriately and in a way that you think is fair.

I have been all-in on S3D since the days of the SEGA Master System, and plan on riding the 3SD/VR train for as long/as far as it (and those that make it possible) will take me. We all see so much benefit from the work the small group of you do and, while I can't speak for others, I plan on continuing to contribute $$ to the cause, in whatever form it takes, to the best of my ability for as long as I have the ability. :)
Unfortunately, you're right..new generation "gamers" they don't even remotely imagine what a real video game is and sorry to say that but, this is the future. I also like you, don't find much sense in multiplayer games, maybe a little bit in fighting and sport games and for a short time
but we are few .... like white flies now, Long live 3D, as long as it exists .... but I see it very hard, already now, for example, there are no more 3D displays to buy....so sad.. :cry:
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

well, lets keep some perspective guys. There's definitely something to be said regarding today's onslaught of "dumb" (but also addictive) games, but at the same time we're getting excellent titles that are masterpieces of gaming and highly popular, like Doom Eternal, Dark Souls, God of War, Divinity OS, recent Resident Evil games and many others - these are highly rated and financially successful, which means there's a large base of ppl who like them - and not just old-timers, like some of us. These days there are also many more gamers than before, and yeah, the simple online ones get the highest player base, but that doesn't mean they're the only viable and desired product these days. Look how much acclaim Jedi Fallen Order got, for simply sticking to a good single player experience. Or how desired Elden Ring is. Or heck, all PS5 exclusives being SP. All of this often enjoyed on large HDR OLEDS - a visual experience we did not get to enjoy before (yeah, it's not 3D but still - better than the 15" CRTs of old :)

I myself am guilty as charged in part, as up until about 2 years ago I was almost exclusively playing Diablo 3 multiplayer, I sank hundreds of hours into it and it was (is) a very fun game with tons to keep you engaged. Sometime during that, I had my Starcraft 2 spell, watching guides, running spreadsheets etc. Twenty years ago when I was still a teenager I often played Quake deathmatches, or Warcraft/Starcraft, which were sort of the "Valorants" of those days - albeit, of course, WC/SC being much deeper games than a straight-forward shooter. The appeal of multiplayer games is not to be overlooked.

Having said that, I am now exclusively S3D single-player, due to time constraints, lack of desire to learn and practice to compete and the pleasure of simply immersing myself in the beautiful S3D worlds, taking it all in on my own terms and at my own pace, and experiencing many different games, each one a new adventure to engage in. This is what draws me in today, what gives me the best experience.

Anyway, cheers guys, here's to many more great games and hopefully all of them in 3D c[] c[] c[]
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

Lysander wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:32 am well, lets keep some perspective guys. There's definitely something to be said regarding today's onslaught of "dumb" (but also addictive) games, but at the same time we're getting excellent titles that are masterpieces of gaming and highly popular, like Doom Eternal, Dark Souls, God of War, Divinity OS, recent Resident Evil games and many others - these are highly rated and financially successful, which means there's a large base of ppl who like them - and not just old-timers, like some of us. These days there are also many more gamers than before, and yeah, the simple online ones get the highest player base, but that doesn't mean they're the only viable and desired product these days. Look how much acclaim Jedi Fallen Order got, for simply sticking to a good single player experience. Or how desired Elden Ring is. Or heck, all PS5 exclusives being SP. All of this often enjoyed on large HDR OLEDS - a visual experience we did not get to enjoy before (yeah, it's not 3D but still - better than the 15" CRTs of old :)

I myself am guilty as charged in part, as up until about 2 years ago I was almost exclusively playing Diablo 3 multiplayer, I sank hundreds of hours into it and it was (is) a very fun game with tons to keep you engaged. Sometime during that, I had my Starcraft 2 spell, watching guides, running spreadsheets etc. Twenty years ago when I was still a teenager I often played Quake deathmatches, or Warcraft/Starcraft, which were sort of the "Valorants" of those days - albeit, of course, WC/SC being much deeper games than a straight-forward shooter. The appeal of multiplayer games is not to be overlooked.

Having said that, I am now exclusively S3D single-player, due to time constraints, lack of desire to learn and practice to compete and the pleasure of simply immersing myself in the beautiful S3D worlds, taking it all in on my own terms and at my own pace, and experiencing many different games, each one a new adventure to engage in. This is what draws me in today, what gives me the best experience.

Anyway, cheers guys, here's to many more great games and hopefully all of them in 3D c[] c[] c[]
Thanks Lysander... I'm not saying there is no place for those type of games, I understand that millions enjoy them... just saying I don't get being that involved in one game - and that they've never been for me. And, you are right, there are plenty of great story-driven single player games being developed and that will continue to be developed.

Back in the days of yore, as a baseball, football, basketball and golf player/fan, I played different franchises online and found the level of toxicity and frustration to be painful. I still play games like MLB: The Show, Madden, Super Mega Baseball and PGA 2K21 (thanks 4EverAwake for the fix - reading greens and seeing fairway contours has never been easier!)... but only in single player mode.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

with looters it's the hunt, and I've experienced this myself and get it. The never-ending chase for the upgrade and skill progression. If the gameplay is fun, you're trapped :)

BTW, if you're a sports-games fan, NBA2k1 is free on epic now.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

"Red Dead Redemption 2 is now playable in VR, thanks to the creator of the best GTA V VR mod"

https://www.pcgamer.com/red-dead-redemp ... -v-vr-mod/
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

I wonder... which API does he target... Vulkan or DX12...
I am sure most of you didn't pay attention but... HIS FAMOUS GTA5 mod from here: https://github.com/LukeRoss00/gta5-real-mod

Quotes:
Last but not least, my warmest thanks to the unbelievable community of Shaderhackers who for so many years have taken games programmed to be viewed on a normal monitor and "fixed" them so they could be enjoyed in perfect stereoscopic 3D using the (now sadly moribund) 3D Vision technology. Without their efforts, culminating in the all-powerful tool that is 3Dmigoto, a complex construction like the R.E.A.L. mod would have been just too much work to undertake for a single developer.
I wonder if it's the same thing this time around... or maybe he did actually do something in DX12 :D

Maybe... we should STOP releasing stuff for free for the WHOLE WIDE WEB... because at least GTAV VR MOD was free! (with lots of issues that I wouldn't even wanna play that game is VR - which I know can't be fixed by reverse engineering - some things need to be built for VR - aka no freaking head bob or artificial shaking), but the new RDR2 mod IS NOT FREE and I wonder how much he leveraged from our community yet again.... :shock: (And YES, I don't like him getting FAT on our "backs"... No offense to anyone or to him, but it would be interesting to know... :arrow: )

RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Thanks for the history lesson Helifax. You are correct: I, for one, did not know that his GTA5 mod was based on our community's work - I have never tried it myself.

I think there are quite a few people who use our tools for various things not related to 3D Vision - I get pm'd on discord from time to time inquiring about how to do X, and I point them towards you shaderhacker gods.

Is there not some licensing stipulation included with the tools which forbids them from being used in for-profit software etc?
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

RAGEdemon wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:39 pm Thanks for the history lesson Helifax. You are correct: I, for one, did not know that his GTA5 mod was based on our community's work - I have never tried it myself.

I think there are quite a few people who use our tools for various things not related to 3D Vision - I get pm'd on discord from time to time inquiring about how to do X, and I point them towards you shaderhacker gods.

Is there not some licensing stipulation included with the tools which forbids them from being used in for-profit software etc?
Sorry.. I didn't want it to sound as a "history lesson" :lol:
But I still believe that if FREE tools are used, the MOD/Software should be free... Unless, he only took inspiration from it and didn't actually use the code! Which is also fine :!:
I mean it is REALLY GREAT that we inspired other people to continue the work :!: :!: :!: And I think this is the MORE Long-term and VALUABLE thing :!: :!: :!:
But, I don't agree with people using OUR FREE TOOLS to MAKE A PROFIT out of it! (Donations are one thing as it is a voluntary thing! But no PER GAME FIX/MOD should be behind a PAYWALL!)
I have my Patreon Page for Vk3DVision, but I don't ONLY release it for those that are Patreons! The tool is free to grab on the website as are all the fixes!

I can totally understand and accept the fact that his tool should be paid (although even that is not something I really like) but per game fixes?! COME ON... This is just PROFITING from the sobs that want RDR2 in VR :!: :!: :!:

I don't know, but this really rubs me the wrong way :!: :!: :!:
If all of us, over the years, took $1 per fix per person.... just imagine where we would be now... :( (Would we even be here?!)

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

There's a mention of an injector, it seems it might be Vulkan
https://www.patreon.com/posts/video-tutorial-51525573

I've no idea if the following statement is fluff, or if he actually devoted a lot of time to this.
I know nothing about this stuff, but his GTA V mod seemed to basically just use OpenVR, 3DMigoto and someone elses hook
Luke Ross wrote: When I decided to give RDR2 a try, I knew I was going to make my hardest attempt of this kind. The game is much more advanced than GTA V from a technical point of view, and the graphics API it supports (Vulkan and DX12) is also more complex than DX11, on which GTA V was based. I had to create a whole new framework for VR injection: basically everything I built for GTA V mod was now useless and had to be written from scratch.

However, I decided to take the plunge and about six months ago I gave up taking on new contracts altogether with my main freelance developer activity. Since then I have been working on this project full time, and if you would like to support me, it is my wish to continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

My intention is to keep improving this new RDR2 mod, always listening carefully to what your users and fans suggest, ask and would like to see.
Sad thing is, a community stereoscopic fix for this game (non HMD) would not have received mention on any gaming website.

I do hope that he is able to deliver and maintain this, if he is taking money
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

3DNovice wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:52 pm There's a mention of an injector, it seems it might be Vulkan
https://www.patreon.com/posts/video-tutorial-51525573

I've no idea if the following statement is fluff, or if he actually devoted a lot of time to this.
I know nothing about this stuff, but his GTA V mod seemed to basically just use OpenVR, 3DMigoto and someone elses hook
Luke Ross wrote: When I decided to give RDR2 a try, I knew I was going to make my hardest attempt of this kind. The game is much more advanced than GTA V from a technical point of view, and the graphics API it supports (Vulkan and DX12) is also more complex than DX11, on which GTA V was based. I had to create a whole new framework for VR injection: basically everything I built for GTA V mod was now useless and had to be written from scratch.

However, I decided to take the plunge and about six months ago I gave up taking on new contracts altogether with my main freelance developer activity. Since then I have been working on this project full time, and if you would like to support me, it is my wish to continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

My intention is to keep improving this new RDR2 mod, always listening carefully to what your users and fans suggest, ask and would like to see.
Sad thing is, a community stereoscopic fix for this game (non HMD) would not have received mention on any gaming website.

I do hope that he is able to deliver and maintain this, if he is taking money
Vulkan.... interesting.... I wonder why.... pfffff :roll:

Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

RAGEdemon wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:39 pm Is there not some licensing stipulation included with the tools which forbids them from being used in for-profit software etc?
I don't think anything like this would fly, this is all open source territory and such is the "risk" taken when you release something for free. "Unfortunately" he found a way to profit from this. Clearly this stopped being a hobby project since be dropped "real" work, so the intention was to regain some of that lost capital.

It's like DJ insinuated in one of the infamous threads from a few months back, if you don't just do it out of pure joy and personal satisfaction, resentment andndesire to profit might creep in and either you'll quit or start charging. If this is intended as a source of income, clearly a paywall will be introduced. He found a good opportunity with hot tech + hot game and decided to capitalize on that.

The dissatisfaction that this is based on tools freely available, lack of recognition of this 3D community of fixers among media and detachment from the "for passion" spirit are understandable :(
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

My concern is this...
Luke Ross wrote: Due to the Great GPU Shortage that's still dragging along, however, I haven't been able to thoroughly test the mod on AMD GPUs. So, if you have an AMD video card and are considering becoming a Patron, please be aware of the risk that the mod might have problems on your system, or even be completely unusable. I will of course do everything possible to make R.E.A.L. VR work with all cards on the market, but it might take some time and I might need your help to debug any issues that should come up. Again: if you have an AMD card, only become a Patron if you're feeling adventurous, or if you want to support me no matter what :-)
Is he capable of introducing AMD Radeon compatibility or is he leveraging work from Helifax and waiting for Helifax to sort it out?

Since he specifically states "even be completely unusable" for AMD GPU owners, I think this is something that he is incapable of. Since AMD GPUs are known to work with VR using all APIs
Luke Ross wrote: So, if you have an AMD video card and are considering becoming a Patron, please be aware of the risk that the mod might have problems on your system, or even be completely unusable.
quoted from
https://www.patreon.com/posts/r-e-l-vr-mod-51291410
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Bethesda Doom games will be his next Patreon for VR mods :P
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Hmm... If anyone has the mod (Sorry but I am not willing to pay for it...) and can/wants to send it to me, I can dissect it a bit... I am genuinely interested what exactly he is doing there and if he is using anything from this community or not (and oh boy... I can reverse engineer the hell out of this)...

One thing that is CERTAIN, is that he is USING Vulkan and the Vulkan Loader (looks 100% identical with Reshade and Vk3DVision - that is based on Reshade... maybe he had the same idea 8-) )
1.jpg
But, I am curious as what is INSIDE the code-base...

I also FIND IT STRIKING.. that he is USING the same OpenVR API (not OPENXR which is the latest standard BTW) as Vk3DVision....
(For the record, I am using an OLDER version of OpenVR API from a few years ago, simply because I didn't bother to use the latest one...)
2.jpg
For the record.. the latest OpenVR API (from Feb 2021) looks like this....
3.jpg
Anywho... :)

Cheers:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

3DNovice wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:23 pm Bethesda Doom games will be his next Patreon for VR mods :P
Yeah... if he does that I will personally show him "Hell on Earth" :o :twisted: :lol:

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

If you search Luke Ross ReShade, he does have pull requests for ReShade.
But I'm clueless as to how that stuff works or how to see what his purpose and/or contributions were.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

3DNovice wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:50 pm If you search Luke Ross ReShade, he does have pull requests for ReShade.
But I'm clueless as to how that stuff works or how to see what his purpose and/or contributions were.
One thing that is certain is that... his VR mod sucks in performance.... LOW Quality to get something playable on RTX 3080... while here I am on an 2080Ti with 60FPS on in 3D on High/Ultra...
Also.. I wonder if he did ask for permission from Crosair to actually use Reshade in A COMMERCIAL PRODUCT?! (https://github.com/crosire/reshade/blob/main/LICENSE.md)
crosire/reshade is licensed under the

BSD 3-Clause "New" or "Revised" License
A permissive license similar to the BSD 2-Clause License, but with a 3rd clause that prohibits others from using the name of the project or its contributors to promote derived products without written consent.
Copyright 2014 Patrick Mours. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
I know, I did and have proof for it.. but then again, I am not even selling it...

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”