Panasonic wants to standardize Blu-ray HD S-3D disc format

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Panasonic wants to standardize Blu-ray HD S-3D disc format

Post by Silversurfer »

Finally, now that the movie studios are showing willing one of the big manufacturing boys sticks it head above the parapet to ask the Blu-ray disc Association to get official in standardizing the format for 3-D image storage on Blu-ray discs.

Eight years into the 21st century may be marked at the beginning of the next format war but this time, as with all healthy competition, we may get the benefits of at least one S-3D high-definition standard at the end of it.

Also a couple of days ago HDMI, according to this article, proposed a better way to handle S-3D content.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/HO ... 30/160508/
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer

Re: Panasonic wants to standardize Blu-ray HD S-3D disc format

Post by Silversurfer »

Check out the image, top left, second person in wearing no S-3D glasses and looking thoroughly disgruntled. "Me thinks" that there was nothing on the screen in this fully lit theatre for this promotional image?
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by koshien »

Thanks for the info! Very very good!
Too bad they are talking about 2010... who knows if Sony, with ps3, and Samsung, with 3D TVs, want to accelerate the process...
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

That's a low punch for TDVision, who where looking to license their technology for S3D in Blu Ray format. I really wanted them to be picked for this transition into HD S3D.
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

koshien wrote:Thanks for the info! Very very good!
It's my pleasure... :)

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Check out the image, top left, second person in wearing no S-3D glasses and looking thoroughly disgruntled. "Me thinks" that there was nothing on the screen in this fully lit theatre for this promotional image?
Now that's a person who would rather be somewhere else! :P

Regards,
Neil
OllyLuck
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by OllyLuck »

Nice read there ,thank you for the topic, and yer that person looks well bored HA HA HA.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

This is a great example of Neils "chicken or the egg" comment in his lastest interview with Bob Dowling. I really hope this doesn't transform into a full out format war where the only loser is us, the consumer, in the form of time to market. This is really simple stuff and doesn't need to be so complex. Both views are currently on Blu-Ray DVD's today, just provide us the software to view it on multiple display formats (anaglyph, checkerboard) and let the rest of the industry do the rest. Firmware is a magical thing. Need to expand the functionality to include other formats? Update the firmware and move on. Don't slow adoption down by making this simple process so political. Go Panasonic and go TDVision! Just give us the option on how we want to view it as I personally couldn't care less what technology is driving it in the background...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by koshien »

pixel67 wrote:This is a great example of Neils "chicken or the egg" comment in his lastest interview with Bob Dowling. I really hope this doesn't transform into a full out format war where the only loser is us, the consumer, in the form of time to market. This is really simple stuff and doesn't need to be so complex. Both views are currently on Blu-Ray DVD's today, just provide us the software to view it on multiple display formats (anaglyph, checkerboard) and let the rest of the industry do the rest. Firmware is a magical thing. Need to expand the functionality to include other formats? Update the firmware and move on. Don't slow adoption down by making this simple process so political. Go Panasonic and go TDVision! Just give us the option on how we want to view it as I personally couldn't care less what technology is driving it in the background...
Wise words!
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Post by funkee »

pixel67 wrote:This is a great example of Neils "chicken or the egg" comment in his lastest interview with Bob Dowling. I really hope this doesn't transform into a full out format war where the only loser is us, the consumer, in the form of time to market. This is really simple stuff and doesn't need to be so complex. Both views are currently on Blu-Ray DVD's today, just provide us the software to view it on multiple display formats (anaglyph, checkerboard) and let the rest of the industry do the rest. Firmware is a magical thing. Need to expand the functionality to include other formats? Update the firmware and move on. Don't slow adoption down by making this simple process so political. Go Panasonic and go TDVision! Just give us the option on how we want to view it as I personally couldn't care less what technology is driving it in the background...
Not all BD players are that flexible at the moment. And maybe you wouldn't like to do stereo but a more elaborate format that includes more information to solve problems with subtitles (not for USA, I know, but Europe would be very happy with some provisions for that), scalability of depth and so on. Stereo would really not suffice in all cases. There are good reasons why people are talking about the standards for 3D. There's a lot at stake and a lot to discuss. And, as you point out, you don't want to make the end customer regret his 3D purchase because the industry changes its mind on the interface or codec after a while.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”