Can't Turn On Proper 3DVision?

nexusmaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Can't Turn On Proper 3DVision?

Post by nexusmaker »

Possibly a simple question, but after a bit of scanning I can't see any obvious thread for it. I just bought a new Samsung 4K QLED TV (QN75Q80TAFXZA). Refresh rate is 120hz. I was excited to use this with 3DVision, as it seems to meet all the required specs.

Connects to the PC fine, I set the resolution to 1920x1080 120hz. Works fine like that. The NVIDIA control panel also allows me to "Set Up Stereoscopic 3D," which I have checked. But the only mode it runs in is 3D Vision Discover (which works, but I want the active shutter version, not this). The setting is greyed out, with no clear way to change it.

What am I missing? I never had this problem on an older 3D monitor, but it's been a while since I tried to do this.

Apologies in advance for what might be a simple/stupid question.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Can't Turn On Proper 3DVision?

Post by Pauldusler »

You need to plug in the 3D Vision emitter. After doing so "Generic CRT" can be selected in Nvidia Control Panel. The 3D Vision emitter serves here as a license dongle ^^

Curious for your results. Does your TV support Black frame insertion or something like this? Might reduce ghosting.
nexusmaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nexusmaker »

Thanks for the reply Pauldusler, but I'm sorry to say I don't think that's it. I've had it plugged in the whole time.

I fooled around a bit more after posting this. As a troubleshooting move, I tried force installing one of the Acer .inf files in another thread here over the "Generic PnP Monitor" driver my computer is currently using for the TV. This enabled the option I was missing in the control panel, but my one attempt to launch 3D didn't exactly work. (It was very clear that my TV and that .inf file did not get along well. The system got very laggy and a bit unstable. After installing it, I could no longer set the resolution to 120hz, which is what I think was blocking the 3D from kicking in. I did get the text overlay indicating the system was trying, but it claimed the resolution was wrong or something.)

Maybe a different .inf file would work? I had to stop working on this shortly after that one attempt.
nexusmaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nexusmaker »

Sorry, I might have accidentally ignored your next hint. "After doing so "Generic CRT" can be selected in Nvidia Control Panel." I don't seem to have this option, even with the emitter installed. The control panel seems to be locked in on calling the TV "SAMSUNG." I see no way to change this. Am I missing something obvious? Should I be looking for this in Device Manager instead of the NVIDIA Control Panel?
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Please try to change product ID with Custom Resolution Utility and reset the EDID to factory default first. Not sure but maybe Samsung TVs could be locked out from Generic CRT with the wrong product ID. I had a similar case in the past. Please see screenshot attached.

My LG TV has product id: GSMC0A0
It is detected as Generic CRT.

You can also try the product id of my Optoma UHD 40 projector: OTM0076
This one gets detected as Generic CRT as well.

After changing the product ID you have to restart either the display driver or Windows. Also Nvidia control Panel has to be freshly opened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nexusmaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nexusmaker »

Thanks for this, and sorry for the delay in replying! (On a related note, happy holidays!)

Sure enough, this did indeed enable all the settings I need to turn on the feature!

Unfortunately, 3D performance is extremely poor. I guess you could call it ghosting, but I think my glasses and the TV are operating at the same frequency but wildly out of sync. Closing each eye individually during the test sequence makes it clear that each is seeing something different, but it's more of a difference in the weight in L/R images than a true blocking of either.
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

Hi nexusmaker
You might want to edit your title and include your TV specs. This way others might notice it and share a solution. Also make it easier for others who search it with google.

I also have an unsupported Samsung 3d display. Used the Acer edid for a very long time until D-Man helped me out with a far better .inf. The Acer edit was a terrible workaround and it also caused severe lag on my setup.

It seems I cant share it on this forum? so PM me with an email address and I could share you the files. There are 2. The one was the original .inf of the first supported 3d monitor of nVidia. The Samsung 2233RZ. And the other file is this .inf edited to unlock 1080p. Please upload the files and share the links here when you get them.

You are familiar with driver signature enforcement? This has to be disabled in windows otherwise it wont work.

I've picked up one problem here lately and that is that this .inf is not compatible with some bypasses in 3d Fix manager on the last functional driver 452.06. I use 451.48 to bypass the warning message. Simply cant get rid of the warning in 452.06. Even with the ancient PE Explorer bypass.

Try your emitter in a usb2 port first if you havent already.
Also try SAM04EA with CRU and see if there are any differences.
Don't forget to restart your system if you don't have software to restart your drivers.

There is another person here who I know mentioned he had a Samsung 3d TV.
Zig11727
Not sure if he is still active here. He might know something important too.
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

Pauldusler wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:14 am Please try to change product ID with Custom Resolution Utility and reset the EDID to factory default first. Not sure but maybe Samsung TVs could be locked out from Generic CRT with the wrong product ID. I had a similar case in the past. Please see screenshot attached.

My LG TV has product id: GSMC0A0
It is detected as Generic CRT.

You can also try the product id of my Optoma UHD 40 projector: OTM0076
This one gets detected as Generic CRT as well.

After changing the product ID you have to restart either the display driver or Windows. Also Nvidia control Panel has to be freshly opened.
It works because it is a TV.
For those who read this thread and have a projector, be aware that 3D vision basic crt mode require that edid screen widh must be fill up with 166cm or less (166 widh*93 height for 16/9 aspect ratio, HxA6 Hx5D, height does not seem to have an impact on crt activation mode, but it's probably better to use a value that match real screen's aspect ratio) while usually projectors probably have this value set to undefined. I suggest to use the closest value to your real screen size.
Unfortunately, CRU does not allow to change that (or I did not find where). So I suggest instead to use monitor asset manager (moninfo) by entech Taiwan in order to extract and modify the EDID and also to use advantiv Eedit gold by Analog devices in order to see the edid structure and to find what to modify (don't use it to directly modify and save EDIDs because it have some bug with extension bloc's head and have some write protected zones).

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”