How to activate 3d vision in a Dp ips msi panel ?

Isaacvigo
Two Eyed Hopeful

How to activate 3d vision in a Dp ips msi panel ?

Post by Isaacvigo »

Hi.
I just ordered a new monitor: MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD. It is a 27 "" ips panel with 165hz and a 1 ms gtg.
It looks very good, but of course, I know it's going to be a pain to put it to work in 3D.
Supposedly I will receive it the day 5, and I would like to know if someone has managed to use a panel of these characteristics with 3d vision, and if anyone knows how I have to do to achieve it.

I just realized that I got the wrong nvidia thread to post, and that I should have posted on the other thread. the troubleshooting one. If a moderator can change it, thank you.
Anyway, if you know something about the subject in question, I would appreciate information
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Re: How to activate 3d vision in a Dp ips msi panel ?

Post by russellk »

Since the forum change, all the information is a bit fragmented. There are probably some rough guides here and on the old Nvidia forums, but in principle, I think there are two different approaches.
Sorry, this might not be 100% and it's hard to explain without pictures.

1. Switch the EDID/INF for a 3d vision compatible monitor. I believe that's what Robert tried here: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=25545
This will have the effect of tricking Windows and the Nvidia drivers into thinking that you are using that actual hardware. This means that when you go to the Nvidia control panel, it will actually show that EDID file as being the actual installed monitor as a native 3d vision supported display.
The Nvidia driver will then use certain values for timing of 3d glasses etc. that are encoded into 3d vision and matched to that hardware (monitor).

2. Edit the EDID using CRU (ToastX Custom Resolution Editor). If you've never tried this, you'll probably want to find some other topics on this forum or the old Nvidia forums, but basically you can trick the Nvidia drivers into using 'CRT Mode', which is basically just 120Hz Frame Sequential 3d. Or, you can change the name and this tricks the drivers too, but you'd need to get the names from the hardware compatibility spreadsheet that someone did.

If you read the topic I linked in point 1, you'll see that there are steps after this in order to try and optimise the display, i.e. minimise crosstalk and maximise brightness. This involves optimising the shutter glass timing and also trying monitor options, such as BFI/ULMB and MBR modes. Different manufacturers describe MBR in different ways, it could just be 'Response Time' which will generally overdrive the pixels in the panel to improve response times, but increases errors.

If you want to learn about panel technologies and response times, you need to go to Blurbusters and read there. Also, for reviews, Rtings and TFTCentral are my favourites. They actually measure and compare panels scientifically so cut through all the marketing BS.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
Isaacvigo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isaacvigo »

Hey, what a treat, I just found your answer and it seems like a very good starting point to start investigating.
Thank you very much, tomorrow I start to see how far I got, you have given me back the hope that I had lost
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

Isaacvigo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:04 pm Hey, what a treat, I just found your answer and it seems like a very good starting point to start investigating.
Thank you very much, tomorrow I start to see how far I got, you have given me back the hope that I had lost
No problem, I saw your questions in the other thread. There are friendly people here, it just takes time.
I think you were unlucky that noboby replied first time. Also over the years peoeple ask questions, get help then never report back. Unfortunately that's just the way it is on all forums but I think it's demotivates some people.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”