2K games always crashing with Graphics Device removed/D3D Device being lost

lohan
Cross Eyed!

2K games always crashing with Graphics Device removed/D3D Device being lost

Post by lohan »

This is an issue I am facing especially with all those 2K wrestling games. I was still able to play them without any issue in 3D Vision (no fix needed, they work pretty well out of the box) a couple of weeks back, but now all 2K games I try to launch are giving me a launch crash.

After trying a myriad of things without any success I found out that 3D Vision is the problem. So, with 3D Vision disabled in Nvidia Control Panel, the games launch without any problem. With 3D Vision enabled it's an almost guaranteed launch crash (Graphics device removed/D3D device being lost). Tried it with different drivers to no avail. Currently I am using 452.06 but I guess that doesn't matter as older drivers also give me this issue now. It's weird as I never had such problems in the past with these wrestling games and aside from those 2K Games, all other games perform flawlessly.

Any idea what could be done?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Re: 2K games always crashing with Graphics Device removed/D3D Device being lost

Post by 3DNovice »

You might also mention which Windows version that you are using.

GL
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

I do have often this launch crash problem since a few weeks or months with UE4 Games. Solution I found is to put at 100% the windows scaling option in windows display settings for your your 3D screen (as I'm using 150% scaling for day use on my 4k TV)
lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

Sorry, I totally forgot to add my specs:

Win 10 Version 20H2 (If I remember it right, I did the update one or two weeks ago and the issue also was present with the version before)
RTX 2080Ti
i7 6800K
32GB Ram
LG 65" 4K OLED (EF9500/EF950V) (the issue also occurs when I try to launch the game on my 2D-only monitor as long as 3D Vision is enabled in Nvidia Control Panel)

@Chtiblue
WWE 2K Battlegrounds also gives me the Unreal Engine crash (D3D Device being lost). The other Wrestling games run on a custom engine and they produce a very similar launch error (Graphics_Device_Removed). I also do my 3D gaming on an EDID-hacked 4K TV but scaling isn't the solution for me as I already have it deactivated. The issue is also present on my 23" 2D monitor, if 3D is enabled in Nvidia Control Panel.

And it gets even more weird: Currently, even with 3D enabled in NVCP, the 2K wrestling games (exception WWE Battlegrounds) launch without any issue. The only problem: they now just launch in plain Fullscreen 2D!
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

I have crashing with Bioshock Infinite in random areas. Even with all gfx options set to low, if the 3D fixes are in the game folder I will keep crashing at the same spot every time or if I use the escape key. I just uninstall the 3D fix now to temporarily get past the points where it's a guaranteed crash then reinstall and re-enable the 3D fix until the game gets fussy. No other game I have does this. The game is super pretty in 3D though.
lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

You should try the following possible fixes for crashes in Bioshock Infinite (copied from the commentaries on helixmod). For me, the crashes stopped in Bioshock Infinite after these steps:

"If you remove the shader 38791777.txt from the ShaderOverride\VertexShaders folder, the game no longer crashes."

"For me it was a problem with the 2C67DC93 vertex shader file, removed it, pause menu works, few effects broken but not unplayable."

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”