Microsoft aims Windows 7 for 2009 holiday season

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Microsoft aims Windows 7 for 2009 holiday season

Post by Okta »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10084486-56.html
LOS ANGELES--In a technical session on Thursday afternoon, Microsoft provided the clearest public indication that it is planning on getting Windows 7 completed in time to run on PCs that ship for next year's holiday buying season.
So what does this mean for the likes of Nvidia S3D users who have placed all there apples in the Vista basket, will Nvidia abandon there Vista user base much the same as they did very quickly with XP?
Well from a little googling it seems Windows 7 will be Vista driver compatible so its possible Vista could get a life extension through 7. But who knows with Nvidia's ruthless marketing model what they are willing to disable in there drivers once there is a new kid on the block.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

i think the jumt from Vista to 7 ist such greate as from 98 to ME...

But the step after windows 7 schoud be intresting, then thy may give "Windows" a kick and are getting a new kernel...
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I have the expression vista is the new ME? :lol:
Shouldn't they get a fully working and optimized system (speed performance etc etc...) before working out a totally new one? Computerhardwares gets faster and faster but new op-systems don't seem to be either faster, more optimized or bug free. Maybe it's just me but i think the time elapsed between vista and windows7 could be slightly higher. Think we're looking forward to another rushed system that takes 2 minutes to calculate what 2 and 2 is....
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Windows 7 uses the same driver model as Vista so ideally the Nvidia stereo3d drivers will work for Windows 7 as well.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Likay wrote:Shouldn't they get a fully working and optimized system (speed performance etc etc...) before working out a totally new one? Computerhardwares gets faster and faster but new op-systems don't seem to be either faster, more optimized or bug free.
Have you ever seen such a Windows? They're using nearly the same Kernel since 15 years, Ok they made Patches for it. They added divese Features but in it's core it is nearly the same than 15 Years ago...
When You are optimizing something for 15 years and it isn't good now, then ther is no chance to get it (realy) better.

May an total new Kernel with total new idears in the basics is the only way to make "Windows" faster, better and more stable. And I think Microsoft have enough skilles and creative people to get such a new kernel. Also Billy is now out of the way and the programmers shouldn't be enforced to use "Billy's Garage Code" anymore.

When something like that is coming, We're looking into a bright futur an not into an new revision of DOS
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

cirk2 wrote:
Likay wrote:Shouldn't they get a fully working and optimized system (speed performance etc etc...) before working out a totally new one? Computerhardwares gets faster and faster but new op-systems don't seem to be either faster, more optimized or bug free.
Have you ever seen such a Windows? They're using nearly the same Kernel since 15 years, Ok they made Patches for it. They added divese Features but in it's core it is nearly the same than 15 Years ago...
When You are optimizing something for 15 years and it isn't good now, then ther is no chance to get it (realy) better.

May an total new Kernel with total new idears in the basics is the only way to make "Windows" faster, better and more stable. And I think Microsoft have enough skilles and creative people to get such a new kernel. Also Billy is now out of the way and the programmers shouldn't be enforced to use "Billy's Garage Code" anymore.

When something like that is coming, We're looking into a bright futur an not into an new revision of DOS
I wouldn't blame Bill for that ;) He himself stated that he didn't like Vista. There was a lot of politics involved in that...
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Hmm ok didn't know that ;)
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

This is funny, but there are good points, once an OS breaks program compatibility (or driver compatibility for that matter) it should really be offering something new, like S3D desktop (all the windows crap doesn't look nearly as good as compiz on linux, and it isn't even S3D!)

Or at minimum S3D DirectX support. But no, they force an upgrade just to stop people from pirating their software (hint, if you have been selling it for 15 years, maybe the price should come down a little?)
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
StereoGaming4Me
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by StereoGaming4Me »

I'm surprised anyone really remembers Win ME.. it seemed like it popped up for a year in the consumer market then completely disappeared.. and this OS was for gaming(apparently DOS gaming.) While I've only used Vista a few times, 1 of 7 or 8 flavors of it.. I read a ton of complaints about older hardware and software not being compatible so I stuck with XP. XP seems to be the best OS for S3D solutions. Vista? Well I guess I've seen it as a gimmicky "test" OS to throw out to the market since Windows 7 is right around the corner and I've also read XP programs should work fine on it as possibly older hardware.

When I see it with my own eyes, I'll believe.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

I remember ME very well! It was my first OS I ever had on a PC sadly... If I had a Nickel for each blue screen I got...
For gaming? Hah, well if so, that's all it could do well :) (It did play Diablo very well :) ) But anytime I tried anything else.. boom, crash.

I think it was more of a bridge from 98 to XP, and since ME died so very quickly, they released XP pretty fast afterwords. That is why I think people compare Vista to ME... Both were completely different than the one before... failed horribly, and was replaced quickly. Let's just hope that Windows 7 is the new XP using this theory. :)

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”