3D Shutter Glasses and 120Hz's or faster monitors...help!

P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

3D Shutter Glasses and 120Hz's or faster monitors...help!

Post by P.C.Zen »

I'm looking for a 1080p monitor that will support my Nvidia 3D Vision shutter glasses via my 3D Vision IR Emitter.

Do I have to look for a monitor that specifies 3D compatibility, or is that just for top-bottom/side-by-side 3D?

In other words: will the Nvidia 3D Vision shutter glasses & IR Emitter work with any monitor with a refresh rate of 120Hz or higher, or does the monitor have to have special tech for it to work?
nrv
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3D Shutter Glasses and 120Hz's or faster monitors...help

Post by nrv »

Hi,
I have the same question. I was sure it was possible to use my 3D Vision2 kit on any 120Hz monitor (even not 3D). But I can't make it work with my new "not 3D" 120Hz OLED TV.
Any chance to make it work ?
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

nrv wrote:Hi,
I have the same question. I was sure it was possible to use my 3D Vision2 kit on any 120Hz monitor (even not 3D). But I can't make it work with my new "not 3D" 120Hz OLED TV.
Any chance to make it work ?
Not sure but it doesn't look like it?

I asked the same question in another thread and the monitor has to be 3D vision ready.

I put together a list of 3D Vision ready monitors here: https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 81&t=23314

I don't really know much about 3D TV's or if any of them are actually 3D Vision compatible. Sorry I can't answer that for you.
MokkaSchnalle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MokkaSchnalle »

Hi,

I have the same problem at the moment.

I bought the NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit on ebay because I have an ASUS ROG PG279Q monitor and LG OLED C9 65" TV.
Both displays are not "3D Vision ready" but can be used with 1920x1080@120Hz via HDMI or DP.

The 3D works via "Generic CRT Mode" but is has horrible Ghosting/Crosstalk with objects in the background or foreground.
The larger the distance between the images for L/R, the worse the effect. I tested a 3D Bluray via Cyberlink and I tested Battlefield 4.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I thought that the new OLED TVs have a good response time. I can play games on 1080p 120Hz or 4K 60Hz HDR flawlessly with absolutely no input lag.
I also tried the "OLED Motion" setting which enabled black frame insertion and I tried the video mode "Game" which disabled the interpolation. Both did not change anything. The Crosstalk is even worse on Game mode.

I already tried multiple EDID INF files from 3D vision certified monitors. The refresh rate is always limited to 60Hz and the connection type is shown as DVI.
This prevents the 3D Vision setup from enabling the stereo mode (overlay with red font).
Creating a custom resolution with 120Hz did not work.

Thank you in advance!
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

Hello,
you're going into settings hell.

First part, you did right to try to avoid anything that imply picture treatment on the TV.

Second part, you need to find a way to synchronize your glasses with your display.
One theoretical way is to know your display input lag (with the TV mode you want to use) and to make and EDID override using a 3D vision display that have the exact same input lag when in 3D mode.
The other way is to have a separated:
emitter + glasses (DIY 3dvision emitter?)
or a synchronizer linked to the 3dvision emiter via a 3Dsync vesa cable (3Dfury HDMI dongle?).
This two apparatus must have a buit-in delay setting, allowing you to adapt the glases' sync signal so that it match the input lag on your display.

The last way is a complicated hard mod (engineering required) on your display outputting a VESA 3Ssync signal.

10 years ago, i managed to get not so bad ghosting on a 2d LCD screen by using interlaced video mode instead of progressive on an LCD screen.

Be aware that even if you succeed, you won't have the 3D features that have a real 3D screen:
You will still had ghosting on your 120Hz LCD screen because you cannot shut down the backlight (or shut the two glasses simultaneously) waiting that the pixels stabilize on the start of each frame.
You don't have the "lightboost" from 3Dvision 2.

The only brand new 3D displays currently available on the market are DLP projectors.

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”