3D with VR HMD

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

3D with VR HMD

Post by HARE »

Hey,

I realized many years ago, that if I can think it up, its prolly already been discussed or tried, so I'm gonna ask.

Has anyone considered combineing 3D TV technology with near eye display tech?

Why are they separate?

Can any display do 3D or is it a firmware/software solution or hardware solution?

ty
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Re: 3D with VR HMD

Post by Dilip »

"Has anyone considered combining 3D TV technology with near eye display tech?"
Do you mean use of "filed sequential" or "interlaced/line interleaved" format (3D Tv Techology) for VR? i doubt any VR HMD displays ever use any of these TV technology.

VR hmds are working on "SIDE BY SIDE" format where two half part of same display or two different display show left and right distinctive view to each eye of user.

VR HMD need not to use TV technology as they can display both half at single screen as display is near to eye partition can be used to show each eye
its own distinctive image. Same is not possible in TV due to distance beetween viewer and TV screen.

Thus instead of using "SIDE BY SIDE" 3D TV use either "field Sequential" (page flip// Active 3D) or Line Interleaved (passive 3d)
VR HMDs use SIDE BY SIDE 3D format.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3D with VR HMD

Post by HARE »

My ignorance is deep.

I see what you are saying tho. The two are intrinsically different.
I have been inundated with info playing catch up. I guess I ask question due to nvidias 3D tech. They seemed to use a side by side format with shutter glasses. This made me wonder about mixing the 2 techs somehow.

I also wonder if a cabling system could provide the left/right, on/off oscillations, that is used in SxS frames to releave the video card of some work.....

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”