Delightfully ridiculous positioning solution for VRidge

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
Jabberwock
Cross Eyed!

Delightfully ridiculous positioning solution for VRidge

Post by Jabberwock »

Unfortunately, I have realized that VRidge + my phone do not allow me to play some VR games, as I cannot even slightly move around. I have added freetrack positioning to my Hydra sticks, but it killed all the immersion completely...

I have read up on other alternatives, some definitely look promising, but it might take a while... so I have come up with another solution. Note that it is intended specifically for the very desperate or for the very stingy!

As some of you might know, I have obtained for a ridiculously low price a controller named GameTrak (https://www.terapeak.com/worth/gametrak ... 860045210/), which is a construction based on a clothing line dispenser (and it shows!). The thing is that the controller supports 3D positioning and has surprisingly large area of response (but you do not want to break that line). I have opted for a somewhat less technically advanced solution, namely I have stuffed one of the glove-things into my pants at the waist. Then three lines of code in FreePIE and we're done...

Of course, it does not work even remotely well, but it works! I can play games I could not play before. The controller is hilariously imprecise and the response is different for different areas, so there is no way to sync it with the hand controllers, so soon they are quite far from my 'body'. But that can be corrected by 'adjusting' the Hydra controllers, so it is not much of a problem...

Return to “FreePIE”