HOW TO: Play any VR Game With Full Locomotion on VirtuixOmni

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
EVOL
One Eyed Hopeful

HOW TO: Play any VR Game With Full Locomotion on VirtuixOmni

Post by EVOL »

After lots of research, experimentation, and several sleepless nights I finally got this working! It's not for the faint of heart. You must install a ton of software and configure it all. However it does work great once completed. I put together an install document, it certainly could use some improvements. Maybe after I get some sleep I can improve it. I'm pretty sure it's all accurate but I could have missed something. I wrote this based on memory. https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... UWLofh/pub

This has been created and tested for Arizona Sunshine but will work with any game that includes Full Locomotion. You may have to make changes to the script file for some games. If you make any changes for a game or just some improvement to the script please post it here. The Script file should be self explanatory it is currently basic and easy to read.

This does require SteamVR but should work for Oculus through Revive however this has not been tested yet! I will try to get that tested in the next day or two.

Everyone do what you can to push developers to add Full Locomotion to their games, this is much more likely than requesting Omni SDK support and almost as good.
zelmon64
Cross Eyed!

Re: HOW TO: Play any VR Game With Full Locomotion on Virtuix

Post by zelmon64 »

Hi EVOL,

Congratulations on getting it to work!

This should enable you to run in any direction (the indentations are important this time):

Code: Select all

## Running
Run_Threshold_X = 100
Run_Threshold_Y = 100

def Run_Action(Running):
    hydra[0].joybutton = Running
    hydra[1].joybutton = Running

if (abs(joystick[i].x) > Run_Threshold_X or abs(joystick[i].y) > Run_Threshold_Y):
    Run_Action(True)
else:
    Run_Action(False)
What I quite like about your setup is that it should work with a wii balance board if all the "joystick"s are replaced with "wiimote.balanceBoard.centerOfGravity".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EVOL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EVOL »

Thanks again zelmon64! You're awesome I can't wait to try it out.
EVOL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EVOL »

That's very cool about the Wii balance board. I can see that working great in some games. I'll have to pull mine out of storage and give it a go eventually.
Last edited by EVOL on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabberwock
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jabberwock »

So far I am using the balance board only for board games (Kelly Slater and SNOW), where it is great, but I have tested it in other games and it seems to work quite well. Remember that in FreePIE you can also implement jumps and diagonals (so you can both strafe and turn).

Return to “FreePIE”