WiiMote -> Hydra -> ViveWand (in Rift)?

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
jimrooney
One Eyed Hopeful

WiiMote -> Hydra -> ViveWand (in Rift)?

Post by jimrooney »

I'm new to FreePIE, so any pointers/help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I've got an Oculus Rift with a Leap Motion controller.
The Leap allows me to play Vive titles in SteamVR. It's great, but the button gestures kinda suck. Hopefully that'll improve, but for now my idea is to use the WiiMote buttons as the Vive Wand buttons and continue to use the LeapMotion controller for tracking.

I've got my WiiMote connected and working through the Toshiba bluetooth stack and WiinRemote.
WiinRemote can map the buttons to key presses, so I could possibly substitute it for FreePIE by somehow mapping the Hydra buttons to key presses? FreePIE seems like a more complete solution however.

I've got the Leap Motion controller working with SteamVR.
If I can get the WiiMote buttons to act as the ViveWand buttons, I think things would start getting very usable (it's so close already).

Any ideas on how to proceed?
Thanks
Jim
routabaga11
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: WiiMote -> Hydra -> ViveWand (in Rift)?

Post by routabaga11 »

Im looking for this myself. If i find something I will post it here.

Tim
zelmon64
Cross Eyed!

Post by zelmon64 »

jimrooney wrote:I'm new to FreePIE, so any pointers/help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I've got an Oculus Rift with a Leap Motion controller.
The Leap allows me to play Vive titles in SteamVR. It's great, but the button gestures kinda suck. Hopefully that'll improve, but for now my idea is to use the WiiMote buttons as the Vive Wand buttons and continue to use the LeapMotion controller for tracking.

I've got my WiiMote connected and working through the Toshiba bluetooth stack and WiinRemote.
WiinRemote can map the buttons to key presses, so I could possibly substitute it for FreePIE by somehow mapping the Hydra buttons to key presses? FreePIE seems like a more complete solution however.

I've got the Leap Motion controller working with SteamVR.
If I can get the WiiMote buttons to act as the ViveWand buttons, I think things would start getting very usable (it's so close already).

Any ideas on how to proceed?
Thanks
Jim
It appears you should be able to use XOutputPlugin to emulate an xbox controller using a wiimote while pointing at something in the menu (I'm not sure about in-game) with the code:

Code: Select all

xoutput[0].A = wiimote[0].buttons.button_down(WiimoteButtons.A)
I tested this with the code:

Code: Select all

xoutput[i].A = keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.A)
The problem with using the Hydra driver is that it will register the button presses for two other emulated Vive controllers instead of the ones controlled with you Leap Motion.
routabaga11
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by routabaga11 »

Uh Oh it looks like that Github link went down. You wouldn't have that file on hand would you?

Edit: Nevermind its my horrible internet connection.

Thanks!
routabaga11
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by routabaga11 »

Ok thats not quite what im going for. I can use Xpadder (or many other options) to convert the wiimote into keyboard presses. The leap motion driver as far as i know will work along side the Vive controller giving both hand tracking and allowing the vive buttons to input. Since steam VR sees the hydra as a vive controller i was hoping there is a way to map the buttons only and use the Leap motion for orientation.
jimrooney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jimrooney »

Hrm. Yeah. I've been working with the Leap Motion and PS Move lately and one does seem to be the "active" controller, while the other is inactive... so the merging would seem to be necessary before hitting SteamVR.
(The inactive controller's buttons are essentially meaningless)

That makes things a tad harder as I'd need to map the Leap's 3d position and orientation to the Hydra and then the WiiMote buttons to the Hydra and then feed all that into SteamVR as one controller.

A bit of a stretch for someone just learning FreePIE ;)
trekfan42
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by trekfan42 »

was any progress ever made on this? im trying to do the exact same thing as OP. im using a leap for tracking, and i have a wiimote and nunchuck i want to use just for buttons.
tplink312
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tplink312 »

I want to do what you ware trying to do but I want to use Kinect V1 (xbox 360 kinect) for the tracking the motion and like you wiimotes just for the buttons.
I wiil be so glad for any help with this idea.
Fernando7778
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fernando7778 »

I was thinking what if you get two wii remotes and plug two nun chucks in. Bluetooth connect to pc and track the nunchucks with leap motion. Nunchucks have similar buttons to vive wands

Return to “FreePIE”