HL2 Wii Balance Board FreePIE?

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
jimrooney
One Eyed Hopeful

HL2 Wii Balance Board FreePIE?

Post by jimrooney »

Before I dive too much into this, I'm wondering if it's going to be possible?
I'd like to use the analogue output of a Wii Balance Board for locomotion control in HL2.

I've got it mapped (with much help from JabuWacky) in GlovePIE, but HL2 won't accept the input. He suggested that I ask here about doing essentially the same setup in FreePIE... maybe map in through Hydra or something?

Am I tilting at windmills or could it be possible?
I'm bran new to FreePIE, so I don't know what it can do and what it can't.

Thanks
Jim
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: HL2 Wii Balance Board FreePIE?

Post by WiredEarp »

Theres a free wii balance board driver application around. Do a search on this site and you should find it - sorry can't remember the authors name currently.
It allows you to control most games using the wiiboard AFAIR. It has source code, so you can modify it if you need to (I did for some wii board turning experiments).
jimrooney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jimrooney »

If you mean WiiBalanceWalker. I've got the keymapping part working, but can't get the analogue data side working... the "use joystick".
jimrooney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jimrooney »

I've got it!

I'm using PPJoy GlovePIE and Xoutput plus the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack to talk to the Wii Balance Board. It needs some tweaking, but it's functional (it's really jumpy/twitchy). Xoutput was the key. It's able to talk to HL2 where as x360ce can't.
jimrooney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jimrooney »

I've got it working with GlovePIE.
Along with PPJoy and Xoutput. Xoutput was the key to talk to HL2.
It still needs some tweaking as it's pretty twitchy/jumpy
zelmon64
Cross Eyed!

Post by zelmon64 »

jimrooney wrote:I've got it working with GlovePIE.
Along with PPJoy and Xoutput. Xoutput was the key to talk to HL2.
It still needs some tweaking as it's pretty twitchy/jumpy
Congratulations on getting it to work! Makes me tempted to get a balance board =P.

I'm curious to know where you manage to find a clean version of GlovePIE? I heard they were all infected.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Nice work.
I quite liked the wiiboard for movement, but it needed a training period, and I kept getting immersed and then forgetting I was on a step and trying to step physically.

Also, OOTB it uses diagonals for turning vs the side to side for strafing, but I found diagonals were just too unreliable a solution, so I think I ended up changing it to side/side to turn.
jimrooney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jimrooney »

Yeah, definitely stoked to get this working (in FreePIE as well). I'm super keen to see how well surfboard/skateboard mode will work out. Can't wait to carve turns ;)

I think the GlovePIE that I've got currently was posted by a user somewhere. It scans cleanly with Windows Defender and runs as a portable app (no install). Weren't the GlovePIE issues false positives anyway?

Anyway, I'm super keen to get going on FreePIE but I'm struggling to get the Leap Motion plugin to work at all (related but different project)... so that's kinda eating my attention at the moment.

Yeah, I found diagonals to not work out either.
The threshold between turning or strafing just didn't translate well. I'm sure it can be done, but everything seemed to do "either or". I think I'll be blending them by default for boarding mode. Hopefully it's going to make more sense.

I'm hoping as well that since you start "feeling" that you're on a skateboard that it'll translate well... cuz yeah, the instinct to step forward (and off the board) gets stronger as immersion sets in.
I wonder how it's going to go when you start getting to the vehicles? Hrm. Might need a "switch" for that. One thing at a time ;)
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I think making the game itself be about skateboarding would be a good way around the stepping off issues. Maybe someone needs to create a 'Skateboard Ninjas' FPS game or something like that.
That way, the balancing etc is enhancing the game play, not reducing it.

Hell, a 'Back to the Future' hoverboard game would be cool as well!

Return to “FreePIE”