Requesting help with Wiimote controller script.

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
GamerAim
One Eyed Hopeful

Requesting help with Wiimote controller script.

Post by GamerAim »

Hello, I created a script to use my wii remote as a controller but am having some trouble. The script was based on example scripts I found on the FreePIE website, reverse-engineered to the best of my ability where needed. It mostly works, with M+ mouse movement working as expected (and tweaked a bit) and buttons pushing, but I need some help with the following:

1: Get nunchuck stick to work. I don't know of a way to map it to WASD, if that's even possible in FreePIE.
2: Get buttons to repeat while held. I found a hacky way to get the nunchuck buttons to repeat while held but it doesn't work with the wii remote buttons at all.
3: Get M+ to work correctly. If I use just the M+ mouse emulation script, it's fine, but in mine, it lags too much to be usable. I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if the script needs restructured to reduce lag or if there's nothing I can do about it.

I am at wits end with this and would appreciate any help anyone could offer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zelmon64
Cross Eyed!

Re: Requesting help with Wiimote controller script.

Post by zelmon64 »

GamerAim wrote:Hello, I created a script to use my wii remote as a controller but am having some trouble. The script was based on example scripts I found on the FreePIE website, reverse-engineered to the best of my ability where needed. It mostly works, with M+ mouse movement working as expected (and tweaked a bit) and buttons pushing, but I need some help with the following:

1: Get nunchuck stick to work. I don't know of a way to map it to WASD, if that's even possible in FreePIE.
2: Get buttons to repeat while held. I found a hacky way to get the nunchuck buttons to repeat while held but it doesn't work with the wii remote buttons at all.
3: Get M+ to work correctly. If I use just the M+ mouse emulation script, it's fine, but in mine, it lags too much to be usable. I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if the script needs restructured to reduce lag or if there's nothing I can do about it.

Have you looked at Tqwando's scipt here? It too uses M+ and a nunchuck. The best way to get a buutton to repeat while held is to use a while loop with that button as the condition.

I no longer like working with the wiimotes because they always seem such a pain to connect but if you need more detailed help I'll go over your script tomorrow.
GamerAim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GamerAim »

zelmon64 wrote:
GamerAim wrote:Hello, I created a script to use my wii remote as a controller but am having some trouble. The script was based on example scripts I found on the FreePIE website, reverse-engineered to the best of my ability where needed. It mostly works, with M+ mouse movement working as expected (and tweaked a bit) and buttons pushing, but I need some help with the following:

Have you looked at Tqwando's scipt here? It too uses M+ and a nunchuck. The best way to get a buutton to repeat while held is to use a while loop with that button as the condition.

I no longer like working with the wiimotes because they always seem such a pain to connect but if you need more detailed help I'll go over your script tomorrow.
Thank you. After looking at that script, I solved 1 and 2 but further testing indicates that FreePIE or the Wii remote or something isn't capable of handling mouse emulation in addition to other functions without lag. Even just doing air mouse + analog stick to WASD results in severe lag. I am curious if this fault is present in GlovePIE, but cannot test it because I am unable to find a clean copy of it anywhere anymore. Sadly, it seems that my dreams of using the wii remote as a PC controller have been crushed, since FreePIE is too slow, WiinUSoft lacks motion plus integration and GlovePIE cannot be found anywhere.
zelmon64
Cross Eyed!

Post by zelmon64 »

GamerAim wrote: Thank you. After looking at that script, I solved 1 and 2 but further testing indicates that FreePIE or the Wii remote or something isn't capable of handling mouse emulation in addition to other functions without lag. Even just doing air mouse + analog stick to WASD results in severe lag. I am curious if this fault is present in GlovePIE, but cannot test it because I am unable to find a clean copy of it anywhere anymore. Sadly, it seems that my dreams of using the wii remote as a PC controller have been crushed, since FreePIE is too slow, WiinUSoft lacks motion plus integration and GlovePIE cannot be found anywhere.
When I have had lag issues it was because of the bt adapter I was using (bt 2.0). I'd highly recommend getting a bt 4.0 adapter. I used to use the wiimote specifically for mouse emulation (played pictionary once) so I can confirm that it should be good enough with the right equipment.

Return to “FreePIE”