speech.said was working then broke

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
sampanboat
One Eyed Hopeful

speech.said was working then broke

Post by sampanboat »

I'd be so grateful for any suggestions...

The following FreePIe code worked fine:
if speech.said("Gear up."):
keyboard.setPressed(Key.G)
speech.say("Gear up. Locked.")

Delighted with this, I then wondered if I could change the voice, so I ran Microsoft "Ease of use" Speech recognition ( I wish I had not :twisted: ) and after that, this Freepie code no longer works. ( speech.say still works fine. )
I have gone through all the MS Speech options, voice training, microphone set-up, Microsoft Speech set to on/off/listen and so. MS Speech seems to be working as expected.
I simply cannot get FreePie speech.said to work any more. Please, can you offer any suggestions ( even obvious ones - I'm new at this ).

Software Versions in use:
I have Freepie ver: 1.9.611.0
Windows 7 Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack1 )
Profile: Default Speech Profile Engine: Microsoft Speech Recognizer 8.0 for Windoes(English - UK)
sampanboat
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: speech.said was working then broke

Post by sampanboat »

I never got to the bottom of this. After losing patience I reverted to a Windows restore point from before I'd invoked Speech Recognition. Never going near THAT again! I have Freepie voice commands back so I'm content.
samtheeagle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samtheeagle »

I've been trying to switch from GlovePIE to FreePIE, but I've not had any luck at all getting the speech recognition to work :( I have already run the built in windows training, so perhaps this is the problem? I've done a quick google and found out the following:
a. Open Control Panel.
b. Click on Ease of Access.
c. Click on Speech Recognition and then follow these steps:
d. Click on Advanced speech options in the left column.
e. Under Recognition Profiles, click New.

This will create a new speech recognition profile. Once the profile is created the original profile can be deleted.
So I'll give that a try tonight to see if a fresh and untrained profile will make this start working like it's supposed to.

EDIT - I've just found this http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 40#p154761 which I'll try out as well.
samtheeagle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samtheeagle »

Right. I just had a quick play on my work machine over lunch and to get FreePIE to recognise speech the Language needs to be set to English (US).

I couldn't quite follow what the outcome of the thread I linked above was, it seemed to suggest that other options should be useable, but my quick test shows to get this working the speech recognition language must be set to English (US).

I'm not sure what effect this might have on the recognition quality, but at least it's working now :)

Return to “FreePIE”