CyberVillains take at a HMZ Ski goggle frame mod

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
longchop
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: CyberVillains take at a HMZ Ski goggle frame mod

Post by longchop »

Im gona get one.of these as well.

http://www.camlab.co.uk/retort-stand-se ... 18937.aspx

Not.this.one as.bit expensive but along these lines. Would.be.good.for.when sitting watching a.movie or something. Take weight out of.the equasion.
longchop
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by longchop »

Another option ive seen is a metal gooseneck attached to the optics and the headband of the headphones taking the weight. I might give this a go as well. Dont think goosenecks are that expensive and should again solve weight problems as it wouldnt be touching anything apart from the headband part.
bbloff
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bbloff »

When I first started wearing the HMZ I'd have soreness on the bridge of my nose (tried to bring in the optics as close as possible). Then found I get better focus having it a bit higher, and not so close - consequently all weight is on the forehead patch, doesn't touch my nose. That can be just as bad though, after about 1-2 hours of gaming, I get a fairly sudden onset of a burning forehead (at least it's not gradual, lol). When I take the unit off, the region where it rests is completely numb, can't feel a thing. Can't be good, I'll be looking at ways to distribute this weight across the forehead, or as some have suggested something to maybe suspend the weight and redistribute it elsewhere (which probably isn't too difficult if you don't plan to move your head at all).
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Haven't touched my HMD for months now, have to get my thumbs out before it turns to a permanent paper weight
bidikman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bidikman »

CyberVillain wrote:Leaving the PCB unproteced might wasnt such a good idea, last night when I played Max Payne (That game is awsome in 3D!) it died on me, and now it wont start, the PCB is warm and it gives a way a very quite humming, not a good sign, probably someting thats been short circuited :/ One theory is that its the little switch that connects to the stock forehead pad that I had left hanging in its cable that it has moved into a bad place and short circuited the PCB. The box is still working (As far as I can tell) so i do not think its the DC-DC mod.

I'm leaving for Paris tomorrow so wont be able to test it out more for a week, but things looks really bad right now. Probably have to buy a new one, or if my consensuses allow it restore it to original and return it on the warranty.
Hello can you contact me about your mp hmz-t1 thank you
Bonjour peut tu me contacter en mp au sujet de ton hmz-t1 merci
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Finlay got a new HMZ, took Sony forever, but it fits well since the Rift is delayed, hope to mount it back on the ski goggle frame this weekend, this time with some kind of protection around the PCB to eliminate short circuiting the PCB
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

The T1 or the T2?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Proceed with caution...

Good luck.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Sorry forgot to check back in this thread, its a T1, and I havent even bothered to unbox it yet :P Maybe this weekend :D
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Hi CyberVillian,
Great thread. Been toying with the idea of modding my t1 for a while and going to take the plunge. It really is uncomfortable. How did you get on with your replacement?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Sorry missed this one, Im most active in the FreePIE part of the forum :D
Its all good, got a replacement from Sony. All I did with the new one was to shield the PCB, been working now for months.

Played several titles on it, Metro 2033 being the best one, man that game is good in Stereo 3D. The dark tunnels really look good with the blacks from OLED panels
I just wished it had head tracking.

My dream is the image quality and PPI of the HMZ and the FOV and headtrackig of the Rift
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

CyberVillain wrote:Sorry missed this one, Im most active in the FreePIE part of the forum :D
Its all good, got a replacement from Sony. All I did with the new one was to shield the PCB, been working now for months.

Played several titles on it, Metro 2033 being the best one, man that game is good in Stereo 3D. The dark tunnels really look good with the blacks from OLED panels
I just wished it had head tracking.

My dream is the image quality and PPI of the HMZ and the FOV and headtrackig of the Rift
Hopefully one day! Been using various means for head tracking. Funny thing now is that I involuntarily move my head while playing unsupported games to free look. A little bit more FOV would be great. I would definitely recommend getting a YEI for the headtracking. As you know we are almost there on freePIE support... but as a proof on concept the UDK integration demo is spectacular, really fast and accurate headtracking.

I imagine your design must help a lot with blocking out light sources, which can only add to the immersion.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Finally bit the bullet.. so far going ok.

Question on the PCB board connection:

I see from your connection the smaller black wire is connected to the socket near the power button. However when dissambelling mine was originally connected to the one nearest the menu. Does this make a difference?

Thanks

P.s. - Do you think there is any harm in taping the forehead switch down all the time so it is as if its always on?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Great tutorial and inspiration CyberVillain. Just finished mine and thrilled with the results. The PCB was a pain. I decided, since my warranty is gone to modify the holding plate underneath the optics to attach this to the glasses as well. This actually made it easier to me to attach using the braces on the side. It also meant the PCB board could remain in its original mounting. The weight difference was negligible.

I must say this makes the HMZ 100% more comfortable. Just played a bit of bioshock with freePIE for headtracking. So much better now.
Just gotta finish doing the light blocking
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Sorry for missing your posts in here again :/ Nice work!

Bout the gounding, it does not matter were you put the ground as long as you use do use it.

Yeah, its a huge difference, still there is nothing we can do about that low exit pupil :/

I wished Rift had the same image quality like the OLEDs in the sony, that would be so freaking awsome!
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

You are right on the Rift. Had mine for a few weeks now. Amazing but just wish for OLEDs like the Sony. The HD consumer version will be a high point for gaming when it comes out.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I'm surprised that not Sony, LG or Samsung have jumped on the train and offered Oculus a 4K OLED (1080p in 3D). With the success of the Rift you would think the display manufactures would queue up to get a deal with Oculus
movingdots
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by movingdots »

Hi,

First post here, i'm also planning on modding a HMZ-T1 into ski goggles.

But the pictures don't really make it clear how the optics are mounted onto the plastic of the ski-goggles?

Is it possible for anyone who completed this mod to make some more detailed pictures?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Linus

Return to “Do it Yourself!”