turning heads in skyrim (head tracking question)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
TheChanger
One Eyed Hopeful

turning heads in skyrim (head tracking question)

Post by TheChanger »

Hi!

I am trying to set up my android DIY rift for skyrim.
So for now the 3d vision is working (with VP 2.1.4), and so does the head tracking (with FreePIE).
"So everything is working... What do you want from us?", you might ask.
I want more! :twisted:

what i am having now is that headtracking is rotating my character (moving the crosshair so to say).
i want to controll the "body" with my mouse and the "head" with headtracking. so if i run forward and look left or right, i dont change the direction my character is moving, i just look left or right and keep moving forward.

Is this possible? If it is: Can someone tell me how, or show me where i can read about this? (I looked for hours but didnt find anything, that helped me)

I am thinking of putting game FOV to 180° or so, but only show 90° on screen and moving the shown part around on the whole picture with head tracking (Like VR player does it).
Can someone help?
jimrandomh
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: turning heads in skyrim (head tracking question)

Post by jimrandomh »

It's possible in principle, but this is a fairly difficult programming project. It's definitely not a matter of taking existing components and configuring them. The right way to do this is to write a Skyrim mod using SKSE, which adds keybindings for turning left and right, and manages the camera orientation itself. There are already mods out there that will give a free-flying camera, and that will mess with the camera properties of first-person perspective. If you want to take this on, I'd start by looking into those.

(The FOV-180 plan will definitely not work.)
TheChanger
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: turning heads in skyrim (head tracking question)

Post by TheChanger »

I got it to work more or less the way i imagined...

i let VP render skyrim in 3d but with no headtracking (diy rift setup) fov around 170.
then i stream the game into VR Player for windows (freeware). this one has headtracking enabled.
and the VR player i diplay in my android device through a screen streaming app (there are several you can use)
the lag is noticable but not as bad as i thought it would be... the delay produced by the extra VR player step is minimal compared to the delay i have through streaming my screen to my androiud device, which i have to do anyway

i ran into two problems though...
first one is the wrong distortion. VR player requires the game to be rendered as is it was camed with a wide-angle lens. this could propably be solved by setting up the sidebysiderift.fx correctly. I have no experiance with that though...

the second problem is not so easily solved: If rendering skyrim (or any game) in sidebyside 3d, it leaves the game with between between 1/4 and 1/2 the normal resolution. if you now use this to display a fov of 170 or so and only view a fov of 90 of it, it again reduces the resolution by a about a factor of 4. this leaves a horribly bad resolution in the end...
running skyrim in 2k or more would help, but you would need a monster rig to get it to run smoothly... especialy with grafic mods

on the bright side: it works... just a matter of grphics and performance... ill play around with it a little and see how good i can make it, then maybe post some screenshots... or maybe it stays crappy and i wont :>
if someone knows how to setup the view so that the destortion looks like in a wide-angle lens (reaches all the way to the middle of the screen smoothly), i would welcome the help

Return to “Development / General Discussion”