Quad buffered stereo and 1440p passive monitor

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
GPLavoie
One Eyed Hopeful

Quad buffered stereo and 1440p passive monitor

Post by GPLavoie »

Is there a 1440p passive 3d monitor available anywhere? I spend 8-10 hours per day delineating forested stand boundaries in ArcGIS. I appreciate the 3D Vision software as making it possible to have gotten rid of my old crt monitor, but I'm still stuck with active shutter glasses. They tend to make my brain start hurting every day around 4pm, after long sessions.
I know that there are a few solutions not using a single LCD, but is there one available with (hopefully) a 1440p IPS LCD screen? Is this something that is just a few years away, or is the market for them just not there?

This would change my and many co-workers lives for the better. :polarized
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Quad buffered stereo and 1440p passive monitor

Post by cybereality »

Unfortunately, I have not heard of any passive monitors higher than 1080P. In fact, there hasn't been much action with passive monitors in awhile. There are passive 4K TVs, but they usually come in around 55"+ and are probably not good for working.

I don't see any technical reason that some company could not make a 1440P IPS passive monitor. I guess it's just more of a marketing thing. 3D just isn't the huge selling point it was a few years ago, even if there still is a niche market available. The few 3D products that do seem to sell are the Nvidia compatible monitors, I think mainly because there are more popular features for the high-end gaming segment (high refresh, g-sync, etc.) and the 3D is basically a free add-on.

Can I ask what monitor you use now? See if it's 3D Vision 2 (LightBoost) compatible, as that may make a difference for you.
GPLavoie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GPLavoie »

I currently use the Asus 27" 144 Hz panel. I was tempted by the Newer ROG panel with the better resolution, but really, the next step up for me is a passive 1440p panel. I'm not sure if quad buffered stereo would work using a tv, I guess for passive it would. Good idea, but 55" is too big. If there was a 32" passive tv with high resolution, I would consider it. Perhaps I should lobby a manufacturer mentioning the high uptake in the mapping sector... Lol, high uptake would only really be in the thousands of units for NAmerica. Although, it would be an alternative to Nvidia 3D Vision software? Thanks for the quick response.
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cadcoke5 »

I was hoping to find any 2560 x 1440 resolution screen that can also do stereo, passive or active. I do CAD work, and so really want the higher resolution. And while I don't normally work while using a stereo display, I would like to do some work that way.

Do you know of any 2560 x 1440, perhaps 32", that would do any sort of stereo display?

-Joe
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@cadcoke5: I'm using the Asus Rog Swift now (PG278Q) and it's 27" @ 1440P. Really a great size and resolution. 3D pops pretty well but has some noticeable ghosting (especially on high contrast items).

Overall I'm happy with it, and the 3D Vision 2 glasses look way better than the first ones in terms of brightness of the image. Good luck finding the monitor in stock though. I paid a little extra to the scalpers, but it was worth it.

Return to “3D Monitors”