3D Printed DIY Rift (5.6" 1280x800, air mouse)

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Unsigned
One Eyed Hopeful

3D Printed DIY Rift (5.6" 1280x800, air mouse)

Post by Unsigned »

After browsing these forums for a little while, I decided to go for my own DIY rift.
I went for the following parts:

- 5.6" 1280x800 LCD-display with controller board.
- Air mouse instead.
- 3D printed enclosure.
- Plastic "Google cardboard" which was modified in order to fit the printed enclosure for the display controller board, mouse and button. The lenses are fully adjustable, which was a must.

- Total weight: approx 330 grams
- Total costs: approx 200,- (dollars)

The air mouse is quite accurate, but drifts a little bit over time (not directly noticable). It gets its power from the display controller board, instead of two AAA batteries. It was also cut down a bit to reduce its size. In order to reset the mouse, the button on the right side is pressed and tracking resets and resumes normally. The printed letters are a little obnoxious, but I had 0.2 meter black fillament left :)

Things to improve:
+The only major disadvantage is that the power and HDMI cable come out underneath and pull your head a little bit down. Maybe something to improve and send all the signals over a single cable.
+Add headtracking through an Arduino and gryo, for now I went for the quickest solution ;)
+ Refine the enclosure, in order to reduce the overall size and weight a bit more (when the 1st adjustment is made)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 3D Printed DIY Rift (5.6" 1280x800, air mouse)

Post by cybereality »

Good stuff.
D4N13L
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3D Printed DIY Rift (5.6" 1280x800, air mouse)

Post by D4N13L »

Very nice! There is always some things you want to change after the first iteration but this is good.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”