best/cheapest way to get good S3D

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Sturatt
One Eyed Hopeful

best/cheapest way to get good S3D

Post by Sturatt »

I have been reading around for the past few days, and I am really interested in S3D. I have a pair of anaglyph glasses, but I would like to try something that doesn't affect the color. I don't have tons of money just sitting around, so I am looking for a relatively cheap method as well.

from looking around, it looks like these are my options:

1. Build a computer with an nvidia 7 series video card, buy an old CRT monitor, and buy a pair of shutter glasses. The one thing I don't like about this option is that if I am going to have to build a new computer, I don't like the idea of putting obsolete hardware in it right from the start (the video card).

2. Drop $600 on a 3d gaming monitor that might not even work with all games. This option seems a little expensive for something that isn't even guaranteed to work with all games.

Am I missing any options here?
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

what kind of computer setup do you have now? I am guessing from your post you have something like a geeforce 8 series card.
if given the two choices (I actually have both (except the 'old' computer has an nvidia 6600gts)) I'd go with the 600$ monitor (you meant iz3d right??).

Might not work with every game but your eyes will not hurt after half an hour or so of play like they do with shutterglasses, plus when in 2d it's a perfectly legit regular 22' monitor. The only downside is the ghosting but that diminishes as you get used with the monitor (reasons why that happens are still up for debate- probably due to the increased separation and the ability of the user to adjust settings better). I guess the general question is will you like your iz3d monitor? yessss... yess you will :)

EDIT: oh, and welcome to MTBS!!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

I've just finished this nice little chart to help you decide:

Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: best/cheapest way to get good S3D

Post by LukePC1 »

Sturatt wrote: 1. Build a computer with an nvidia 7 series video card, buy an old CRT monitor, and buy a pair of shutter glasses. The one thing I don't like about this option is that if I am going to have to build a new computer, I don't like the idea of putting obsolete hardware in it right from the start (the video card).

2. Drop $600 on a 3d gaming monitor that might not even work with all games. This option seems a little expensive for something that isn't even guaranteed to work with all games.
1) if you already have better stuff than gf7 it's not realy great to downgrade. The hardware becomes too old and I can nearly guarantee, that it won't work with (m)any new games.
However this solution could be even cheaper than yuri said, if you look for good items at ebay. Middle class crts go for 10€ sometimes and are ok at low resolution (1024).

2) you could try out the driver with your anaglyph glasses for free. The main advantage of upgrading is, that you should get color back and might have things a little clearer. I for example can't recognize objects in anaglyph very well and the ghosting is (subjective!) higher than on my CRT with shuters.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi Sturatt and welcome!

Yuri and Luke already told you the situation and you seems to know a bit about it too. A cent ot two from me: Choose rig depending on what games you play.

If you want to play a lot of older games (dx4-dx7) and opengl (doom2, quake4, prey etc) you should go for winxp, nvidia up to and including 7900 and older nvidia stereodrivers.

If you want to play newer games then simply choose the best rig you can afford and use iz3d-drivers (dx8, dx9,soon dx10, xp,vista and so on...).

If you like you can have one 7900 and a newer card in your comp at the same time (i have a 7900gt and 8800gtx in the same comp, one card is always deactivated but i can run games in stereo3d both enabled but with buggier results). If you want to go shutterglasses/crt (some dlp-projectors also works if you want to go big) then you're so far bound to use older nvidia drivers, winxp and up to 7900 card. This is surely not a bad experience though. A lot of older games will have new life when replaying in stereo3d. Iz3d recommends deinstallation of nvidiastereo when gaming with iz3d-driver but having both installed (one deactivated of course) works with all games i play for the moment so maybe it's only necessary for a few games.

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I am still in the same boat and have been waiting for the magic bullet for years but it just isnt coming. I have been considering getting a 7900gt but they are still $100 from ebay but i read that the iz3d driver works in interlaced mode for shutters. For me immersion is the most important factor so i would dont see much value in low field of vision options unless you can put a fresnel lense in front of them or ghosting (BIG no no). I am waiting on a reasonable res HMD with high FOV with good driver support at a resonable price (yeah i know keep dreaming).

The options im considering are-

1-Dual monitor (cheap crt's) with a front surface mirror is probably the best cheapest option i have seen. http://www.crystalcanyons.net/abouts/3d ... plete.shtm

2-Crt really cheap from ebay ($20 for large) with shutters ($50)

3-Dlp projector second hand for around $300 from ebay with shutters ($50)

4-Vr920- if only i could try one out and see if im happy with the fov $350

5-Maybe a TDvisor or headplay...
Sturatt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sturatt »

Thanks everyone for the great info!

I just came across this thread about new nvidia hardware/drivers (here) which looks really ineresting. Right now I actually am on a laptop, so I would be pretty much starting from scratch hardware wise, so I am thinking about just waiting to see how this nvidia stuff turns out before I actually invest in anything. That way I wont be kicking myself if nvidia comes out with some good stuff right after I buy something.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”