Everything You Need to Know about Nvidia’s 3D Goggle Gamble

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Marksanderson
One Eyed Hopeful

Everything You Need to Know about Nvidia’s 3D Goggle Gamble

Post by Marksanderson »

Well written coverage of Nvidia's stereo3D plans... nothing much new, however. (Except that Zalman is absent from the supported display list).

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... gle_gamble
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Everything You Need to Know about Nvidia’s 3D Goggle Gam

Post by Welder »

Marksanderson wrote:Well written coverage of Nvidia's stereo3D plans... nothing much new, however. (Except that Zalman is absent from the supported display list).

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... gle_gamble
They mention Zalman :)

They aren't on the supported list, because the list only contains 120HZ devices.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

well for all it's faults, I'm glad nvidia is at least doing something. I believe the entire love-hate relationship with nvidia can be surmised as:

Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Damo3000
Cross Eyed!

Post by Damo3000 »

Im getting concerned my projector is a goner. No support, plus for the hundreds of people with HMDs, dual projectors....

What is gonna happen, why cant they support the same setups they did before?
Windows 8
Nvidia 3D Vision
Oculus Rift Dev 1.0
GTX 470
Optoma HD33
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Damo3000 wrote:Im getting concerned my projector is a goner. No support, plus for the hundreds of people with HMDs, dual projectors....

because of complex financial/marketing issues we can't possibly hope to understand

Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Damo3000 wrote:Im getting concerned my projector is a goner. No support, plus for the hundreds of people with HMDs, dual projectors....

That one is easy, buy IZ3D's drivers! That is the great thing about competition is you have a choice!
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Damo3000
Cross Eyed!

Post by Damo3000 »

AS SOON AS SHUTTERS ARE SUPPORTED WITH MY PROJECTOR, MY CASH IS IN IZ3Ds HAND, AND IM BUYING A ATI CARD!

GOODBYE NVIDIA! (I may eat those words at a later date)
Windows 8
Nvidia 3D Vision
Oculus Rift Dev 1.0
GTX 470
Optoma HD33
GameCyteSean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GameCyteSean »

An excellent companion piece to the Maximum PC article, if I do say so myself:

http://www.gamecyte.com/is-your-gaming- ... oscopic-3d

Enjoy!

Sean

EDIT: Maximum PC, not ExtremeTech. My bad.
Last edited by GameCyteSean on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Lol still no XP support. Go *uck yourselves nvidia.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Graphics Card Video Bandwidth problem ?

Post by budda »

Hi, that is a great article, but it got me thinking ....

Firstly, why do Viewsonic go with 1680 x 1050 when 1920 x 1080 is not so far off.

Also, I understand video DACs used on geforce graphics cards have been limited to 400 Mhz for so long. This is good for 2D but not 3D combined with high resolution and high refresh rates.

It seems something different for added performance must come on the scene, most likely from the Nvidia side of things ?

Either of these possibilities-

[1] Dual link DVI video connection from the graphics card to the monitor (like current large screen LCD panels)

[2] Faster DACs so that only one video cable output needs to be connected to the monitor

[3] Video signal compression of the 3D data rather than transmitting 2x 2D data

or

[4] Reduce the resolution or refresh rate for existing Nvidia graphics cards using the newer displays, possibly to 85Hz or 100Hz refresh rate.

Thanks. :shock:
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

what about a higher vertical resolution? That screen is widescreen, so it has plenty of space in the vertical. Just double that resolution and make an external splitter only by NV :shock:

Maybe they just chose the same resolution as Zalman to have more in common :?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I knew Nvidia was cooking something up. Glad they finally came out and said what was going on. Stereo3D needed a refresh and they are doing the marketing right. They effectively killed S3D so they could re-launch it as something new. Not the worst plan really.

I just hope their SGs are sold and marketed right. If I was running things I would include 3d lenticular ads for the shutter-glasses and supported 3d displays with every video card. Those Viewsonic sets sound good, for both 2D and 3D which is a good mix. Nvidia should sell this hard, this is thier one chance to breath life back into this market.

I'm glad I stuck with NV the whole time, I knew they would come through. I'm happy to see 8800+ listed as a requirement for S3D. Also, Vista is a good OS, you gotta stay with the times. Anyway, I like Nvidia's plans and I like their promotion so far. More good news for stereo3d is just good in my book.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Its hard to see too many enthusiast or casual gamers settling for a 22inch lcd these days when 24+ has become the affordable standard.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Okta wrote:Its hard to see too many enthusiast or casual gamers settling for a 22inch lcd these days when 24+ has become the affordable standard.
I agree. I got a new monitor this year and I chose a 24" monitor. My next one is going to be bigger.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

quadrophoeniX
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Graphics Card Video Bandwidth problem ?

Post by quadrophoeniX »

budda wrote: [1] Dual link DVI video connection from the graphics card to the monitor (like current large screen LCD panels)

[2] Faster DACs so that only one video cable output needs to be connected to the monitor

[3] Video signal compression of the 3D data rather than transmitting 2x 2D data

:shock:
know, this comes a little late, but just for clarification: Dual Link just needs 1 cable, it's just that all 24+1 pins of the DVI-D are connected - 2 TMDS lines in one cable. With a maximum of 165 MPix/s on one TMDS line Dual Link DVI will become neccessary even with the 212 MPix/s we see at 1650x1080 @ 120 HZ. However with the 8000+ requirement this is no problem at all, since those grafic cards all do have Dual DVI outputs. And a monitor with generic 100+ Hz input will be designed with a Dual Link DVI anyway... Actually this is the only part that keeps one from hardware modding a 120Hz TV to accept 120 HZ input since these bloody 1.3 HDMI input circuitries do not support the bandwith needed nor are there 2 TMDS receivers...grrr.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Tril wrote:
Okta wrote:Its hard to see too many enthusiast or casual gamers settling for a 22inch lcd these days when 24+ has become the affordable standard.
I agree. I got a new monitor this year and I chose a 24" monitor. My next one is going to be bigger.
I don't consider it "settling", but then I am not an average gamer, and I had a 100" 16x9 projector as my main TV in my 13' by 11' bedroom for 6 months, so anything less is "settling" in my book.

Get the Mitsu big screen TV then, I think they are $1.5k, if you are going big go really big :), quit fussing around with piddly monitors. Don't tell me it is too expensive, these gamers are buying LCD and Plasma HDTVs left and right for $1,000. They can save that money and put it into a dual use monitor/TV. If their family wants a big screen get them a $600 LCD or a DLP projector, they probably won't care that it is 720p or 800x600 resolution.

Laser DLP has a larger range of colors than LCD I think, so a win-win (except for the 1920x1080 resolution obviously, but who cares at this size with laser 3D :) :) )

Hmm, looks like $1,500 to $1,300 is the price for a mitsu rear-project DLP at 60 inches.

http://www.furnishingsandfurniture.com/ ... rrency=USD

I don't know, I would go for really big instead of mucking about with desky monitors (Sharky knows what I mean, check out his photo album for his desk, I think it is a 56" Aquos, 1920 is more than enough resolution for a decent 2 foot or back viewing distance, if you can't see the pixels you don't need more resolution.)

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”