newbie question! yay

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
rjordan55
One Eyed Hopeful

newbie question! yay

Post by rjordan55 »

Okay. So about 6 months ago I got a Optoma hd25e projector and the emitter and 3 pair of glasses and have been enjoying 3d movies ever since. So awesome.

I just built a new pc and I am wondering what I will need to do some 3d gaming. I have a nvidia gtx 780 gpu. I dont know if I need to buy the nvidia 3d vision emitter and glasses, or just the 3d play software, or other software like tri def.

If I can make it work with just the software, is it as good of a "3d experience" as buying the whole 3d vision kit?

From what I have read I wont get 1080p at a good framerate with this setup, is that right?

Do I have to use windows 7? Just bought a new copy of 8.

Sorry, this is all new to me and the nvidia website was very cryptic about everything. Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: newbie question! yay

Post by cybereality »

You should be able to use Nvidia 3DTV Play with an HDMI connection (limited to 720P for gaming).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

There is a 14-day trial so you can make sure it works, though the full license is fairly cheap.

You can continue to use the glasses you have, you don't need to buy the Nvidia glasses or emitter.
rjordan55
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rjordan55 »

I am unable to get this working. When I install the 3d play 14 day trial it says there is no 3dtv detected. My 3d bluray player wont play 3d through my reciever so I have to connect it directly to my projector, so I did the same with my pc. But my projector wont even dtect a signal straight from my pc, but everything shows up fine when I run it through my reciever.

Very confused. I went into my nvidia control panel where all the 3d settings are located and ran the setup wizard. It only showed me options associated with 3d vision hardware. I tried each option but they all led to a greyed out button so I could not continue.

Any ideas?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That's really strange, I'm pretty sure it should work. You are using an HDMI cable straight to the HDMI port of the GPU, right? Can you try a different cable? I don't think Nvidia will be able to detect the projector through a receiver (unless it is one of those receivers that are 3D compatible, but even then it's not a sure-fire bet). Are you saying that even Windows itself doesn't show up? Cause that seems like a more fundamental issue, not 3D related.
rjordan55
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rjordan55 »

The reciever was advertised as being 3d. The cable seems fine because I use it for normal operations and it works great, unless there are 3d cables I dont know about(haha wouldnt doubt it). I dont understand, hdmi from gpu to projector gives no signal(black screen). But hdmi from gpu to reciever then hdmi from reciever to projector gives perfect signal, but says no 3dtv when I install 3d play.

I guess this is why they have a free trial on the software, cuz its a pain to get going.

And there is no 3d play software that I can find after installation. Nothing in my nvidia control panel refers to 3d play.

Not user friendly for sure. May be this is how they get you to buy 3d vision hardware
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Any high-speed HDMI cable made in the last 2 years should support 3D. However, if the cable you are using is particularly old, you may want to get a new one. They only cost like $6 on Amazon, so it's probably worth ruling that out. I don't understand why you would get a black screen when directly plugging in the computer. That should totally work. You can also try using an HDMI/DVI adapter to plug into your GPU. You still need to use an HDMI cable (to the projector) but it's possible there is something wrong with the HDMI port on your GPU. They usually come with the adapters, so just plug into a DVI port to test.
rjordan55
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rjordan55 »

I got it working finally. Turned out I had to switch hdmi cable to the 2nd hdmi port on the projector. I dont know why, but everything works now.

I got 3d play working as well. Mechwarrior online looks great but they still need to work some bugs out. I got watch dogs for free with my gpu so I'll give that a try.

Thanks soo much for your responses.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome! It works!!!

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”