How Virtual Reality Will Change Gaming

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

How Virtual Reality Will Change Gaming

Post by metalqueen »

By Richard Wordsworth

When I was little, I never wanted a jetpack. I still don't. My Lego men had jetpacks, and even five-year-old me could see that if you bent their stubby little legs back, the twin jets of flame coming out the back of the engines would melt their plastic feet. Rubbish. When I was little, I wanted virtual reality, like in Tron. And now it's basically here. It even plays Hawken - which basically makes it a jetpack anyway.

Joyless cynics might argue it's not quite Tron yet. VR is still in its teething stage, still an experiment; a bunch of different companies and entrepreneurs flinging ideas and cash at the same problem from different directions, trying to get us closer to our holodeck future. But why now? Why, after years of resignation to arcades and horrors like the Virtual Boy are these start-ups able to challenge billion-dollar companies for control of gamers' living rooms?

Read the whole story here.

Read full article...
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
Easter6
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: How Virtual Reality Will Change Gaming

Post by Easter6 »

metalqueen wrote:
Joyless cynics might argue it's not quite Tron yet.

Damn good thing, too.. I don't think I would bother with the real world if I could live in the Tron world, lol

offtopic question now.. is your name any relation to Lee Aaron's album of the same name from 1984? (yes I realize this dates me a bit, lol)
DannyVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: How Virtual Reality Will Change Gaming

Post by DannyVR »

I've tried the Oculus Rift and I feel like what Neil Armstrong says before,
"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
This will be a revolution in first person shooter gaming dude....

Return to “MTBS Newswire”