Viiwok Deva HMD - Adapter hybrid for 7" tablets

Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Viiwok Deva HMD - Adapter hybrid for 7" tablets

Post by Attreyu »

On Indiegogo in December.

Looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRGmJQUwmo8

It uses its own discrete gyro-sensors for headtracking, so it's not strictly an adapter only. It has 2", aspheric lenses. I might add direct HDMI-USB input further down the line, in order to connect it directly to the PC using a HDMI cable, but I'm still testing this feature, because I'd preffer the wifi only approach. The latency from the sensors is quite low (it's recognised as a wireless mouse), and the one for the display is about 50-70 ms in optimum conditions (solid Nvidia GPU - 650/750 or better, 802.11ac).

Target price - around 60€ for the early backers.
Last edited by Attreyu on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krenzo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Viiwok Deva HMD - Adapter hybrid for 7" tablets

Post by Krenzo »

Attreyu wrote:The latency from the sensors is nil
Where have I heard that before?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Such an absolute statement cannot be true. The DAC in the sensor has a settling time, which adds latency. The communications channel adds latency. The host PC interrupts and/or message queue adds latency. The program run loop adds latency.

... and that is assuming you have magical noise-free sensors that do not need any filtering. Filtering typically adds latency, significantly so, in fact...

FYI, the definition of "nil" is ZERO. Claiming NO latency (not even measured in nanoseconds) is not the same as saying "insignificant latency" (which would also be untrue with modern affordable technology).

Where do you get your nil-latency "gyro sensors"? I want some! Do they have built-in accelerometer and mag sensors to help prevent drift? Or is this still in the unresearched planning stage?
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

Krenzo wrote:
Where have I heard that before?
Haha :lol:

Well, if you're measuring the latency of a mouse, as geekmaster has put it, you're bound to find it exists at some level.

Ergo, if a mouse latency spoils your gaming experience, this would too.

In this case though, the real, perceived latency comes from the video stream being transmitted through wifi.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

geekmaster wrote:
Such an absolute statement cannot be true. The DAC in the sensor has a settling time, which adds latency. The communications channel adds latency. The host PC interrupts and/or message queue adds latency. The program run loop adds latency.

... and that is assuming you have magical noise-free sensors that do not need any filtering. Filtering typically adds latency, significantly so, in fact...

FYI, the definition of "nil" is ZERO. Claiming NO latency (not even measured in nanoseconds) is not the same as saying "insignificant latency" (which would also be untrue with modern affordable technology).

Where do you get your nil-latency "gyro sensors"? I want some! Do they have built-in accelerometer and mag sensors to help prevent drift? Or is this still in the unresearched planning stage?
I'm not going into this again, dissecting everything to bits, the seriousness and the almost clinical attention to details while talking about a game controller is not that important for me but obviously it is to you :lol: I know what "nil" means but if you preffer "insignificant latency", well so be it. Same goes with "gyro sensors" instead of gyrometer.

It's an adapter for 7" tablets which can also be used for gaming if you can deal with the latency and not using it for hours on end. Or for watching a movie in SBS. It might work with 6.9" tablets as well but don't take my word for it, I must do some thorough testing.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

I've seen HDMI outputs on tablets, but never HDMI inputs..
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

MSat wrote:I've seen HDMI outputs on tablets, but never HDMI inputs..
And you'd be correct. The only tablets with some sort of video input are some weird chinese models with a CVBS jack.

This is a somewhat peculiar adapter. It relies on the user's tablet. When I mentioned HDMI-USB input, I meant exactly that, which is an adapter which accepts HDMI input on one end and has a USB-male on the other which could be connected to the microUSB of the tablet. It's a converter of sorts.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Attreyu wrote:Well, if you're measuring the latency of a mouse, as geekmaster has put it, you're bound to find it exists at some level.

Ergo, if a mouse latency spoils your gaming experience, this would too.
Most modern mice have a sample rate of 500-1000hz, Android tablets top out at 100hz. Combine that with the much lower latency threshold you get when wearing a screen on your head, and I assure you that people who are fine with a mouse will notice the 5-10 times higher latency of a system like this. Also, I should note that 7" is too wide for most people to watch SBS video on, even ignoring the skewed aspect ratio.

What tablets support this HDMI to USB converter you describe?
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

PalmerTech wrote:Most modern mice have a sample rate of 500-1000hz, Android tablets top out at 100hz.
The sensors are not the tablet's. They are discrete. I'm not using the tablet's integrated sensors, as per discussion on the other topic, you have convinced me that if using the integrated sensors it would add to the already present latency from the video-feed. So it's like two lanes, but on parallel, one-way streets. One is the video feed coming from the PC, the other is the headtracking signal from the adapter to the PC, bypassing the tablet entirely.
PalmerTech wrote:Also, I should note that 7" is too wide for most people to watch SBS video on, even ignoring the skewed aspect ratio.
I have watched a couple of movies in SBS on my tablet, it's fine. In fact, I think even wider screens should be better, in order to compensate for the aspect-ratio (in landscape mode).
PalmerTech wrote:What tablets support this HDMI to USB converter you describe?
Any tablet with a microUSB port - basically all tablets. It uses the same principle used in the EasyCap dongle, so it's recognised as a webcam (Android supports it natively, as plug'n'play). It has its latency though for now, obviously, so at this point I consider the splashtop route more effective, in terms of latency/comfort.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Thanks for the clarification.
Attreyu wrote:I have watched a couple of movies in SBS on my tablet, it's fine. In fact, I think even wider screens should be better, in order to compensate for the aspect-ratio (in landscape mode).
You must have a very wide IPD, the average person would have to greatly diverge their eyes to see a SBS image on a 7" tablet, that is why the Rift dev kit has partial overlap. Making the screen wider would not help compensate for the aspect ratio, everything will still be twice as tall as it should be.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

PalmerTech wrote:Thanks for the clarification.
Attreyu wrote:I have watched a couple of movies in SBS on my tablet, it's fine. In fact, I think even wider screens should be better, in order to compensate for the aspect-ratio (in landscape mode).
You must have a very wide IPD, the average person would have to greatly diverge their eyes to see a SBS image on a 7" tablet, that is why the Rift dev kit has partial overlap. Making the screen wider would not help compensate for the aspect ratio, everything will still be twice as tall as it should be.
I have a 7.2-7.3 IPD. I used Tridef for the conversion.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

PalmerTech wrote: You must have a very wide IPD, the average person would have to greatly diverge their eyes to see a SBS image on a 7" tablet,
I think 'have to' is wrong thing to say here. Other factors could be adjusted instead, such as resolution, distance, and eyecups.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

blazespinnaker wrote:
PalmerTech wrote: You must have a very wide IPD, the average person would have to greatly diverge their eyes to see a SBS image on a 7" tablet,
I think 'have to' is wrong thing to say here. Other factors could be adjusted instead, such as resolution, distance, and eyecups.
With the system he has been showing/describing, "have to" is correct. Adjusting the distance cannot solve the divergence problem, and manufacturing eyecups/lenses to do so is very hard/expensive. You could cut the resolution way down and only use part of the panel for proper aspect ratio SBS video, but his videos and posts suggest that he does not plan on doing that.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

PalmerTech wrote:
blazespinnaker wrote:
With the system he has been showing/describing, "have to" is correct. Adjusting the distance cannot solve the divergence problem, and manufacturing eyecups/lenses to do so is very hard/expensive. You could cut the resolution way down and only use part of the panel for proper aspect ratio SBS video, but his videos and posts suggest that he does not plan on doing that.
I think you are right. Some time ago I was using one of the first prototypes, a very rudimentary cartoon box with only the lenses glued in. I used my IPD to mount them and was playing around with a Unity demo, just to see how the sensors work, what's the best focal distance, etcetera.
For me it was perfect, I could see perfectly the sole converged image, in detail, without the edges of the display, or my nose.
Still, I showed the thing to my wife, her brother and a friend. All, without exception claimed they can't sense depth, that there are 2 images instead of one and that they had to cross eye-focus on the horizon in order to comprehend anything.
And then I showed it to another friend who normally wears glasses (weak myopia - nearsighted). She took down the glasses and she could see it as well as I did. And her IPD is "normal", around 6.8.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Well, he can though, that's the point.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

The prototype is almost finished.

Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Nice Attreyu, looks good!! Buena suerte en Indigogo!!! :D
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

Hannibalj2 wrote:Nice Attreyu, looks good!! Buena suerte en Indigogo!!! :D
Gracias tio ! :)

Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPc4Yk6G8oo
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

The IndieGoGo campaign is now live.

http://igg.me/at/ViiwokDeva/x/2756152
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

With a first buyer ! Yes, I know the presentation video sucks big time... :(
Lurch666
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lurch666 »

It's flexible funding.Don't like funding these as I still pay even if they don't reach their goal.
Will I still get one if full funding isn't met and I pledge enough?
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

Yes. I promise you that you will receive it.

I chose flexible funding in order to cover the molding expenses and some other needs, but I've found some investors outside the crowdfunding campaign which help me offset some of the bills.

In April the deliveries will begin as stated and there will be also an online store for those who want to purchase the adaptor.

Right now I have updated the campaign to specifically adress this issue.

Also, it will support smartphones too, out of the box, besides tablets.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

The tablet version, before entering mass production next month.

Return to “Oculus VR”