Mass mailing spam

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Mass mailing spam

Post by Xerion »

Making an error, ok poop happens. making multiple errors spamming my e-mail, well ok... but then on the 3rd resend (I got the original + 3 resends) everyone's e-mail addy is actually put in the To: field. So thank you for giving my e-mail addy to everyone so I can be put on even more spamlists.
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hi Xerion,

Thank you for your message, and I completely appreciate where you are coming from. We have taken steps to prevent this from happening again and are very sorry for the inconvenience.

The email you are talking about with the CC was not sent to our entire list. It was a very small percentage of users who received it because we were able to stop it before it got very far. We were debating on whether or not to announce it because the number of recipients was indeed very small.

Again, we take matters like this very seriously, and will be more cautious in the future.

Thanks for your understanding,
Neil
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi xerion!

the multiple mailswere because we were not able to send them to more then a small number of recipients before teh serverstopped sending. and we were able to stop the last send even before it selfstopped.

sorry again
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

:evil:

What is the definition of 'very small'? I'm number 2126 in the list out of 2976 and I got it.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Stee1hed,

The CC list and the order of the mail-out was not identical. Only 200 emails were sent.

Regards,
Neil
PixelPartner
One Eyed Hopeful

Talking about mistakes ...

Post by PixelPartner »

It is not a mistake but for me looks intended, that we all can become members but no one can ever delete himself from the user lists.
There is no "delete my account" button or link and Neil does not comment on this ! :evil:

I also run a newsletter list ($15 stereoscopic viewing on any LCD/CRT with the ope**** Ope****e project :idea:) but would never intentionally suppress unsubscribing.

:arrow: http://www.Pi**************** (EDITED BY MODERATOR)
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Talking about mistakes ...

Post by Welder »

PixelPartner wrote:It is not a mistake but for me looks intended, that we all can become members but no one can ever delete himself from the user lists.
There is no "delete my account" button or link and Neil does not comment on this ! :evil:

I also run a newsletter list ($15 stereoscopic viewing on any LCD/CRT with the openKMQ OpenHardware project :idea:) but would never intentionally suppress unsubscribing.

:arrow:
Sorry, but you are incorrect :)
It seems insulting to try to accuse Neil of deceiving people, and using less than honest methods. Then link to your own page.
Please make sure you have looked at your own account settings before assuming there is no way to unsubscribe.

Proof: http://welderxf.com/imageup/images/big/ ... 961607.JPG

And you have not seen the email, so just so you know, the accidental email WAS accidental. it is most likely generated from the User Database, so if a variable, or "IF" statement is reversed, blam, you have an error. It's an easy mistake. Why would he purposely send an email to everyone by accident. Sharky and Neil work hard on this site, and I don't think they would risk their reputation, or the companies involved in his organization in their community for a free newsletter accidently emailed out.
Last edited by Welder on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PixelPartner
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PixelPartner »

As your own JPG proofs, there is no "delete my account" button.
The Checkboxes to be included in the newsletters do exist and this is a way to unsubscribe - I already used them and unchecked these checkboxes.

But there's no way to get off the database and the member list or the forum.
This way people are constantly added to the list, but the total number does not reflect "satisfied" users. Please proof me wrong ...

As for the eMail, I cannot comment on this. I should have started a new thread. Should I ?

I didn't want to insult Neil. It's just the FIRST memberlist I came across the last 20 years, only the admin can delete me from. We europeans seem to be more picky about our internet identity.

Post by Neil »

The email blast was a complete error. In fact, if you read our Forum Announcements section, we talk about this. We even mentioned this on our front news page. The good news is we have a new contributor (Syd Bolton, Curator of the Personal Computer Museum) who has written new email scripts which were recently tested that circumvented all the problems we had.

I'm sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with our service. Send me a PM or email customer service via "Contact Us" from the main menu, and if indeed you want to continue this course, we will have your account deleted shortly. In the meantime, out of respect to our fellow members, please refrain from advertising your company in our forum posts.

Thanks for your understanding,

Neil
Last edited by Neil on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
PixelPartner
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PixelPartner »

Dear Neil, I already sent you a PM, but you did not comment on this missing vital function.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I edited my message prior to your last post because I didn't realize the pre-posts that were going on, and I got a fuller story.

I did answer your email, but understand it is MTBS' decision on how to handle account cancellations on condition that they are completed upon member request and in an ethical manner. Also, I did respond to your original email and did not get a response at the time. I am traveling, so I am at a disadvantage because I can't access my complete email database.

This topic is over as far as I'm concerned, and further concerns can be discussed via PM.

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

I think you should only spam non-forum members- you can easily get email address lists for quite cheap from certain places- you just need to have a script that compares it to the forum emails list so that my some chance members don't get spammed. I think spamming is a new and yet unexplored method of indoctrinating the masses into the world of stereo3d.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

yuriythebest1 wrote:I think you should only spam non-forum members- you can easily get email address lists for quite cheap from certain places- you just need to have a script that compares it to the forum emails list so that my some chance members don't get spammed. I think spamming is a new and yet unexplored method of indoctrinating the masses into the world of stereo3d.
I hope your're joking. That would be a really bad idea.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Tril wrote:
yuriythebest1 wrote:I think you should only spam non-forum members- you can easily get email address lists for quite cheap from certain places- you just need to have a script that compares it to the forum emails list so that my some chance members don't get spammed. I think spamming is a new and yet unexplored method of indoctrinating the masses into the world of stereo3d.
how so?
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

yuriythebest1 wrote:
Tril wrote:
how so?
Sending emails to people that did not give authorization would be sending spam. Spamming has bad reputation so you don't want it to get associated with stereo 3D. Also, if you send lots of emails using that kind of list, you risk getting your email server banned and it's almost impossible to get it unbanned so after that, you can't get legitimate emails through.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Tril wrote:
yuriythebest1 wrote:
Tril wrote:I hope your're joking. That would be a really bad idea.
how so?
Sending emails to people that did not give authorization would be sending spam. Spamming has bad reputation so you don't want it to get associated with stereo 3D. Also, if you send lots of emails using that kind of list, you risk getting your email server banned and it's almost impossible to get it unbanned so after that, you can't get legitimate emails through.
you are right- proxies should be used that are not directly linked to MTBS- "informational sites" of sorts that contain all the basic info to get people started.
Neil

Post by Neil »

:D :D :D :D :D

I think Yuri is having a little fun.

I'm still traveling this week, but I'm working to get some news up tonight. TDVision Corp. had a recent breakthrough with their TDVCodec.

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Neil wrote: I think Yuri is having a little fun.
...right... fun

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”