Oculus rift 1080p mod?

dumbdude007
One Eyed Hopeful

Oculus rift 1080p mod?

Post by dumbdude007 »

Would it be possible if you found a 7 inch 1080p panel that you could connect to the computer to replace the screen in the rift with it? My idea was you would keep the original OR screen connected to the computer then duplicate the screen to the new display and have that mounted inside where the current display is. That way if you had any problems playing OR games because the game such as TF2 cannot detect the oculus rift, you would still be able to play it because of this bypass.

Any advice on weather or not this would be possible would be appreciated.
dumbdude007
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus rift 1080p mod?

Post by dumbdude007 »

what i mean is taking a 7 inch monitor and putting it in the rift as a duplicated display instead of trying to wire it up to all the rift stuff because that is where they are having problems in similar threads like these or at least from what i understand.

Maybe getting something like this, take it apart and jimmy rig it into the rift and hook it up directly to the computer as another monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/BW-Inch-On-Camera ... B0098OEHYE
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

That's what people are trying to do in this thread ("Nexus 7 2nd Gen 1920x1200. Possible drop-in replacement?!")

Be careful with that screen that you linked. That screen's resolution is actually 800x480. Any field monitor you see on ebay or amazon which claims to be 1080p is most likely not. The "1080p" refers to the upscaling that it can do.
fruscella
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fruscella »

Did it work? I want to do the same thing
ExZero16
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ExZero16 »

Yea, I got tripped up by the 1080p field monitor thing too. The screen isn't 1080p but it accepts a 1080p input signal, the screen resolution is way less.

The issue with upgrading the screen in the rift is finding a screen that we can connect to hdmi. All small 1080p or better screens that we can find use a MIPI input, so we need a hdmi to MIPI converter board and that's not an easy thing. If you can somewhere to buy a MIPI to hdmi controller board for a decient price then there are tons of screens we can use.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

fruscella wrote:Did it work? I want to do the same thing
Try reading through the above thread.
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details

Return to “Oculus VR”