MTBS' VR Settings Guide

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

MTBS' VR Settings Guide

Post by Neil »

Introduction

Now that the Oculus Rift kits are getting in game developers'...and let's face it...gamers' hands, there is a serious concern to be aware of. With a stereoscopic 3D display like a TV or monitor, it's very easy to see the left and right perspective at the same time and quickly make adjustments so your S-3D gaming experience is a comfortable one. Unfortunately, we don't yet have the ability to do the same thing with a Head Mounted Display like the Oculus Rift. We can see some interactions that are cloned on our computer display, but it doesn't really tell us anything useful.

This is a serious issue because if the settings are wrong, the gaming experience will not only be unfulfilling, it will be needlessly painful.

While many game developers are planning dedicated VR support, a lot of consumers are enjoying immersive games today with the open source Vireio Perception drivers.  Unlike a dedicated VR game, drivers can run by the seat of their pants, and gamers really need at least some understanding of how 3D works so they can comfortably play their games and get the best results.

Read full article...
Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: MTBS' VR Settings Guide

Post by Mel »

Are these settings saved somewhere, or do we need to do this every time we start up a game? If not saved, then the obvious question is 'can they be' (or at least shown on the display and manually addable to an ini file)?
Mel

Post by Mel »

Also, as has been noted by others elsewhere, the Vireio F key mappings aren't recognized in some games, notably Dear Esther and HL2, so I am unable to adjust the separation.
xanderdavis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xanderdavis »

I'm using an iMac w/ Win7 Bootcamp. I don't have a Number Pad on the Mac's wireless keyboard, so is there a way to still calibrate? Otherwise, Mac Bootcamp users can't do it. Instead of NumPad 1/2, etc..., how about something like Shift+ArrowLeft/Right, etc...?
Neil

Post by Neil »

The guide has been updated with new SHOCT features, and the new driver build has better keyboard options.

Regards,
Neil
howiem
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by howiem »

Request for the next update - can you include the keyboard shortcuts in this guide? Save having to keep alt-tabbing between the guide and the shortcuts.

Request for the next update after that - can you put a distilled version of these instuctions (and kbd shortcuts) on screen within the SHOCT setup process itself? Then we'd be able to do it all without taking the HMD off :)

Super work :)
WormSlayer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WormSlayer »

I've been trying to follow this guide to configure HL2 but I get as far as "Gradually reduce and increase the separation while alternating between your eyes to get the image to appear on both SHOCT lines." And cant figure out how to do that? I found another page where it says to use F2/F3 but those keys dont seem to do anything?
Neil

Post by Neil »

WormSlayer wrote:I've been trying to follow this guide to configure HL2 but I get as far as "Gradually reduce and increase the separation while alternating between your eyes to get the image to appear on both SHOCT lines." And cant figure out how to do that? I found another page where it says to use F2/F3 but those keys dont seem to do anything?

I don't have HL2. However, try this.

After the red SHOCT lines are set, take the HMD off your head. Now, carefully watching the computer screen, hold down the F3 key. Just hold it. It's very possible that the separation is happening extremely slowly. I know with Left4Dead, it's so slow, you can see each line of pixels move one by one!

Using an object in the far distance, use that as a reference point to get it on both SHOCT lines. It's not necessary to wear the HMD to see that things are lining up (thus the benefit of SHOCT!).

Regards,
Neil
Mel

Post by Mel »

Would it be possible to allow people who know their IPD to edit a config file and manually enter calibration data? Are there some formulas for calculating the various 3D settings based on a starting IPD value?

I find using the on-screen calibration a bit too loosie-goosie (for example, the first step says to get the vertical lines as close to your center of vision on each eye as possible...I could easily perceive that to be 20 different locations across 20 different calibration attempts).
Neil

Post by Neil »

Mel wrote:Would it be possible to allow people who know their IPD to edit a config file and manually enter calibration data? Are there some formulas for calculating the various 3D settings based on a starting IPD value?

I find using the on-screen calibration a bit too loosie-goosie (for example, the first step says to get the vertical lines as close to your center of vision on each eye as possible...I could easily perceive that to be 20 different locations across 20 different calibration attempts).

We are waiting for Baristan6 to get his Rift so we can beef up the accuracy and add features like this.

Regards,
Neil
Forge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Forge »

This is my experience using the SHOCT lines in Skyrim. I line the red lines up with the center of my eyes as instructed using O,P and K and L. I then change the separation using F2 and F3 until the both lines are over a far away object inside a building. The result is zero separation. Pressing F6 and swapping the eyes confirmed this because there was zero change. Instead I've had to make an guess by playing around with F2 and F3 until it looks about right. Trouble is I'd like to get it calibrated properly using the SHOCT lines. Can you determine what I might be doing wrong?

Cheers

Chris
Neil

Post by Neil »

That's doesn't sound right. Can you share screenshots?

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

reBoot185 wrote:i have not figured out how to get a dual screen to show up when using Vireio..
Please post in the Vireio Perception forums so our developers can help:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141

Regards,
Neil

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”