VR Gloves (My Project)

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
Caliber Mengsk
One Eyed Hopeful

VR Gloves (My Project)

Post by Caliber Mengsk »

Hey guys, I know I don't really post here often, but I've hit a pretty decent milestone in my vr gloves and thought you all might like to see it. Here's a link to the latest video, showing full arm movement (though the hand doesn't rotate properly. It's not subtracting out the elbow or shoulder rotation, so it kind of spins around a lot.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzMh7GttqXY

Let me know what you think of it so far, and any suggestions/ideas you have. :D
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: VR Gloves (My Project)

Post by MSat »

Cool! It seems like it would be awesome to be able to see your fingers in a virtual world.
Apotheosis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Apotheosis »

That looks really great. You have made some impressive progress! I look forward to seeing this develop. Keep us posted!
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Cool! This looks like a fun project.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Awesome!
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Haloar »

If you're using the Sparkfun flex sensors, you should get just as good results and for lower cost by going the DIY route:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Ben ... /?ALLSTEPS

or

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... x-Sensors/
Caliber Mengsk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Caliber Mengsk »

The issue more comes into patents and copyrights when doing the diy stuff like that. While it may be cool to do and much cheaper, I'm fairly certain those designs have some form of copyright/patent on them. It may be close enough of a design that the creators of the ones on spark fun could go after me for making my own like that. All depends on how lenient the patent office was.

Either way, I don't intend to use flex sensors like that in the end anyway, it's just a quick thing to test out with. This is a basic proof of concept, not even the first prototype, I have ideas in my head that use more accurate methods and are less likely to break down by accidentally bending it to far.

Like said, this is a proof of concept at this stage. A thing to show off to get people interested, and possibly to show to get funding. (Trying for the arch grants at this time.) If that fails, I'll try kickstarter.

Flex sensors are great for the fast development, but I want to track each joint of the finger, and even the spread of each finger. So flex sensors (at least alone) won't do. At this point, I'm just going to work on the in game code. I just uploaded a video showing it able to knock over objects, even with just the fingers. Now I need to be able to pick up things and the like. After that's done, is when I would start working on the first full prototype.

Return to “Physical VR Tools”