Very Confused: NVidia 3D Vision & Projector

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
koz
One Eyed Hopeful

Very Confused: NVidia 3D Vision & Projector

Post by koz »

Hello all, I need help as I've exhausted my ability to search for answers the past few days... also I'm getting cross-eyed dealing with incorrect 3D settings!

First of all, this is what I currently have:

Optoma GT750E DLP 720p 3D-Ready Projector (Official Specs Page)
Optoma BG-ZD101, DLP Link Glasses
GeForce GTX680

Now, because I went the DLP-Link route (for PS3 Blu-ray as well), I opted out of the Nvidia IR Emitter. That left me with 3DTV Play software to fiddle with, which to my understanding would have allowed me to play games in 3D. Nvidia even has the GT750E listed as compatible. Nvidia 3D Vision (3DTV Play) recognizes my PJ, and allows me to make adjustments etc. Problem is, I can't see 3D! I've tried manually setting Auto 3D, SBS, Top/Bottom & Frame Sequential.. but nothing syncs up. I just get the split image in all games with no results.

I really don't know what to do, I can't find a definitive answer if this setup will even work or not.

What I've been able to glean from searching, is that Nvidia uses Frame Packing.. and that not all PJ's can decode it and use Frame Sequential or convert to Side-by-Side?

(I've actually purchased this projector a year ago for 2D gaming/movies on 106" screen which I'm more than satisfied with, 3D has been a recent experiment.)
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Very Confused: NVidia 3D Vision & Projector

Post by Fredz »

koz wrote:What I've been able to glean from searching, is that Nvidia uses Frame Packing.. and that not all PJ's can decode it and use Frame Sequential or convert to Side-by-Side?
Your projector is labeled as HDMI 1.4a compatible so it should support frame-packing. Maybe it's only a problem with the glasses mode, did you select the DLP-Link mode (and not the VESA 3D mode) ? Or maybe there is a problem with your cable, or a device between your PC and projector that doesn't transmit the 3D info correctly ?

You could also try to setup a 1280x1470@60Hz or a 1920x2205@24Hz mode and see if the glasses start blinking.

It could also be a problem with the surface you project on or with lighting perturbations for the DLP-Link signal (could happen in a sunlight lit room). When you launch 3DTV Play can you see the white flashes when you're not wearing the glasses ?
koz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by koz »

Well I can get the glasses to sync up to everything else on the same screen. It works flawlessly on the PS3, or even if I just open up a YouTube 3D video (using SBS e.g.) with the same computer. But for whatever reason, it doesn't want to sync at all with Nvidia 3D for games.

Maybe the drivers are not installed properly? I have 3DTV Play installed, but it loads the Nvidia 3D Stereoscopic settings... is there supposed to be a special menu for 3DTV Play?

This is what my "3DTV Play" menu looks like:

I can only select "3D TV Play" or "HDMI Checkerboard" or change the "Depth". I can also run the tests.. but the tests do not show 3D, I think they are only showing Anaglyph? Whatever it is showing, it never syncs.. even on the tests. But yes, they blink off and on whenever I try to sync them to the Nvidia 3D, but they never stick.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I guess it's a problem with the driver then, no idea how it can be corrected apart from trying to delete everything and reinstall. Cybereality had this same projector but I don't know if he tried 3DTV Play with it, maybe he'll come by to give some info.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I have that same projector, but I am using it with an AMD rig. However I am pretty sure it should work fine with Nvidia. Your settings look good, not sure why the glasses won't sync. I believe you should set the projector into DLP-Link mode, or Auto. When the projector gets an HDMI 1.4a 3D signal it should switch on the 3D sync automatically (you may still need to press the button on the glasses to turn them on).

If the PS3 works, then I assume your hardware setup is good. It must be something on the computer. Do you have multiple monitors? Maybe try unplugging some of them. Are you plugging into the HDMI port on the Nvidia card or are you using converters? Not sure what else it could be.
koz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by koz »

Well, I may have fixed it. Kind of embarrassed I didn't try to do this before asking for help..

But, I uninstalled and deleted all Nvidia Drivers. Restarted, reinstalled latest 314.14 beta drivers, restarted. Reinstalled 3DTV Play Activation, and then ran the test. So far, the tests are working.. I can see 3D.

I guess I just had a bad driver install... :roll:

Going to test some games now!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Nice, don't hesitate to post your feelings when gaming in 3D with this setup. :)
koz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by koz »

It is beyond amazing. :woot

For my first experience, I decided to go with Just Cause 2 (720p) with all settings maxed, and 3D Depth @ 100%.

That beginning scene when you're skydiving with all the flak bursting? Yea I replayed that 5 times in a row to take it all in.

:shock:

Why did I go this long without 3D?!? All I needed was a pair of these DLP Link glasses, and I've had this projector for a year! :o
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome news!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

It's always great times when someone loose the s-3d virginity. ;)
Welcome to a new addiction!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Great ! Don't hesitate to ask here if you encounter other problems in the future. :)
koz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by koz »

Thanks!

I'm definitely hooked now. I've already decided that I'm going to see what 3D x3 Monitor Surround looks like by the end of the year, it's a plan. :shutter
mic-denmark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mic-denmark »

Hi,

I have also purchased the NVIDIA 3D Vision Glasses Kit, an NVIDIA GTX 760 OC 2GB GDDR5 card (dual DVI output, HDMI output, displayport output), and have a DELL 1610HD 3D Ready DLP projector (VGA input, HDMI input, composite input).

I have seen the PC to DELL 1610HD setup work just fine with NVIDIA 3D Vision but I simply cannot get the projector to register @120 Hz?!

I will try to uninstall all NVIDIA drivers and start from a fresh as suggested above and let you know if that works out.

Also, I own a PS3 and aim to view 3D movies with that too. So please share information on how to setup the PS3 to display 3D through the projector / NVIDIA 3D Vision. Thanks! :-)

Best regards
Michael / Denmark
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

According to this site ( http://www.3dmovielist.com/projectors.html ) your projector does not support HDMI 1.4a or Nvidia 3D Vision. This was a big problem with many so-called "3D Projectors" before the HDMI 1.4a standard became more prevalent. Unfortunately there is probably not too much you can do.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”