What happend to VORPX

Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Re: What happend to VORPX

Post by Dilip »

xhonzi wrote:It's pretty much a limitation of 2D+Depth, or 'reprojection' method. Basically changing parallax for one or both eyes will leave holes in the original image. In otherwords, one eye would be able to see some stuff that the other eye can't- so if you take a 2D image, the other eye should be able to see things that 2D camera couldn't. These holes are often filled in by smearing the adjacent image to cover the hole. The smeared pixels you see are what is giving the blurred effect around foreground objects.

The greater the depth, the bigger the holes, the more smeared pixels, the more noticeable the effect.
Thanks for enlighting! it explains a lot. :)
cybereality wrote:Usually 2D+depth methods suffer from problems like that, basically what it amounts to is trying to "fill in" pixels that don't exist due to occlusions. There is really no amount of algorithm that is going to produce something from nothing. It's a limitation of the method.
Now i understand why there is border only around main player character and not all the objects. it means this strange border appears only at point where scene divides in to +Z and -Z and only around those objects which are brought to foreground to create 3D effect.like your player model in +Z and rest of the scene -Z.

if it works that way then only workaround is keeping depth minimum and +Z minimum but i noticed border increases when you increase depth but not much when you add pop out to your player character, why so?

Does this mean +Z is embossing and -Z introduces tearing (so software has to put artificial pixles for nothing)? why reverse embossing can't be applied for -Z so that tearing don't happen?
MaterialDefender wrote:What really helps when doing this on a HMD is something that can't really attributed to clever programming. I's simply the fact, that you don't have the most offending parts directly in the centre of your view. Weapons etc. are mostly shifted to either side of image so it's easy to look past the worst glitches most of the time.
Don't you think if i play tomb raider 2013 in RIFT with VorpX Laracroft will come in centre? if she come in centre (being MPC) she will certainly have that strange border (i had pointed out in my last posted screen shots) if i increase the depth and if your drivers handle the thing same way. (A question out of curiosity, don't feel offended i am not challenging you ;) its good to clarify as we don't see and hear each other and words don't carry feelings properly all the time!)
MaterialDefender wrote:Some Z-Buffer Image processing, which vorpX does a lot, also allows for fine-tuning the effect to get a very pleasant 3D effect in the mid to far range. Especially nice in wide, open spaces. Small rooms don't work that great. There even is a user configurable setting that allows to 'shift' the effect along the z-axis for those who like to fiddle with settings.
Again this means you can avoid this anomaly only by keeping depth minimum.

i think in rift depth will be all to gather different scenario as on monitor we see things on our desk and wall behind monitor and all things on our computer desk to compare with screen for depth perception. so on monitor sense of depth is relational aspect.

May be in rift when your total eyesight is blocked and all you see is screen only absolute depth perception will matter as you can't compare surrounding like monitor border or your desk or a wall behind it.

Any way it will be nice to see reviews by those who backed VorpeX after evaluating by all aspects.
Last edited by Dilip on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaterialDefender
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by MaterialDefender »

CylonSurfer wrote:Anyone else getting wierd warping issues while looking up or down in games? Seems to happen in both geo and Z_buffer modes, the problem worsens the higher the FOV you use. It was particularly noticable in Skyrim but other games I have tested seem to have the same effect.
Go the display page in the menu and check whether you find an Aspect Ratio Correction Mode that you like better. The default 'Smart' AR-Correction (on purpose) applies an non-linear stretching algorithm vertically.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

MaterialDefender wrote: Go the display page in the menu and check whether you find an Aspect Ratio Correction Mode that you like better. The default 'Smart' AR-Correction (on purpose) applies an non-linear stretching algorithm vertically.
I'll give that a try - thanks.
k2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by k2k »

just played some dayz in rift with vorp x everything work fine but had launch through steam not dayz commander ,found that I didn't get any motion sickness in 3rd person view
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

The z-buffer mode(s) are real top notch and surprisingly he built in a way to use a software mouse instead of hardware which works well. Unfortunately I havent found any games that render geometry mode well. TBH, z-buffer is really not my thing and cons out weigh pros for me. Has anyone found any games that render well/minimal issues in geometry mode? Doesnt seem to be a list or anything.
MaterialDefender
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by MaterialDefender »

@eqzitara1 : Judging from your awesome work on the helix mods, you might very well be the guy with the highest possible standards regarding glitch free Stereo 3D on the internet, far above what even nVidia considers good enough. We have a shader replacement system in place that theoretically allows to address single shader issues, but as you most likely know very well, these things take time.

As things mature more and more small glitches will be addressed, at least for popular games. Personally I think most games are pretty playable in G3D even now, but not every single one might meet your super high standards yet. Please rememer that this is vorpX beta. :)
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Yeah lol... I am picky. Its certainly going to be my downfall as games get more advanced and only get by on OCD as is lol. [That and NVAPI/Helix's code].
You are probably right though geometry modes do seem to work well in comparison to 3d vision out of box on games I tested.

Nah, its not a problem since its beta and I only tried like 3 games. TBH I may of been overly harsh on geometry modes since, I thought it was basically just going to be "depth buffer only focus". I basically just jumped to that conclusion based on seeing the strides you made in depth buffer mode [ui/mouse/options]. Its good to hear that geometry mode is still being looked into. By the way was amazed at the software mouse, didnt think that was possible. In all honesty I think the Vorpx is the best designed to handling the Rift.

No pressure especially since I am sure you got bigger concerns but should consider making shader/profile methods "public/open."
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

CylonSurfer wrote:
MaterialDefender wrote: Go the display page in the menu and check whether you find an Aspect Ratio Correction Mode that you like better. The default 'Smart' AR-Correction (on purpose) applies an non-linear stretching algorithm vertically.
I'll give that a try - thanks.
Didn't work, I'm still getting weird warping / stretching issues no matter which AR Correction mode I use, its pretty much made everything I've tried unplayable and sickness inducing after just a few minutes of game play.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

What is a 'software mouse'?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

WiredEarp wrote:What is a 'software mouse'?
It means the driver draws the mouse cursor on the screen (in 3D, at screen depth). If you don't do this then you have the problem that the default OS mouse cursor is only in one eye and not actually in the position is appears (this is a problem with all 3D drivers that support SBS modes, though it depends on the game).
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Well not only that but it allows mouse to work with depth buffer[z-buffer]. Hardware mouse will always be at screen depth even when using z-buffer/depth buffer modes. It doesnt really matter in geometry mode cause it will be screen depth unless someone physically changes the code of the game as far as I know. Z-buffer 3D rendering + software mouse can make a lot of games that normally don't translate well into 3D very well.

Like in games such as Dragon Age 1/2 you can see the issue of using a hardware mouse + geometry mode[normal 3D]. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuSfEU1MwDM you can see how its difficult to use a screen depth mouse.
I dont have a tridef video of DA 1/2 but even in Z-buffer modes the mouse would just be at screen depth even though all hud objects like health bars/name tags would be at correct depth.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Interesting, thanks for the info CR & eqzitara1. So does it disable the normal hardware mouse and substitute the software mouse?

Could be cool then for quite a few games that I found unplayable with the mouse at screen depth.

Return to “General Discussion”