monoscopic hmd advise

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
frogger
One Eyed Hopeful

monoscopic hmd advise

Post by frogger »

hi all , ive been reading through the forum and really enjoy seeing other peoples projects.

im interested in building myself a single display unit with a wide fov. I don't require 3d or head tracking as I will use a trackir to start with and I don't want to have to wait for my favourite sims to add support for 3d.

the sole purpose of my headset will be to fly in flight simulators either simple joyflights or online formation flying with my friends.

the idea is to use an lcd panel that is big enough to cover most of my view from up close so that when a Fresnel lens is place between it the users only see's the screen and boarder of the eye sections of a motorcycle helmet "which as a fighter pilot you would see anyway. I have tried the Fresnel lens infront of a 24 inch screen with great results and im thinking a screen around 10.1 or 12inch will give somewhat the same results. these screens would seem large for most headsets but riding motorcycles for years I have found that the pressure on your neck from wind and air pressure at 100 kph far exceeds the weight of a 10 inch lcd panel. the plan would be to mount the controller either onto or at the back of the helmet and use a small counter weight if needed. when I fly in the sims im very relaxed so there shouldn't be an issue with the weight.

my current issue is choosing a panel/controller. im looking for wide screen and hdmi preferably but hoping everyone can point me in the right direction.

what are your opinions of this for price/performance. can I get the same thing cheaper somewhere else?
http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/1810535 ... 1053540237

any advice is welcome

cheers
frogger.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”