The future of Mobile VR: Watch your back, OculusVR

blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

The future of Mobile VR: Watch your back, OculusVR

Post by blazespinnaker »

http://www.durovis.com/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n1nr9C6JMk

Note: They're giving them away for FREE to Android developers here: http://www.durovis.com/opendive.html

(Smartphone not included)

The reality is that 10s of millions of people already have these VR capable devices in their pocket. With that kind of install base, this is the future (at least for mobile VR)
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: The future of Mobile VR: Watch your back, OculusVR

Post by colocolo »

this could be a real catalyzer for VR. It could be good for Oculus in the end.
and it could become dangerous if one day TDP of Desktops and Smartphones will align what will happen due to the ultra large scale integration of transistors.
So in 6-10 years....
But if Oculus will become very rich and more powerful they seriously could build their own smartphones or mobile transformable VR devices. IMO thats not out of the question. They are a startup enterprise ready to open a very new own market with billions of dollar of market potential.
Google, Amazon.......and Veróne Mankou a Congolese smartphone.
Xemakon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Xemakon »

I have said it before and I will say it again, but in my humble opinion this is just a rip off of the FOV2GO, which was created in part by Palmer at USC. Nothing new here.

http://projects.ict.usc.edu/mxr/diy/fov2go-viewer/
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Which in turn I guess is a rip off this patent which was filed in Sept 30 / 2008:

http://www.google.ca/patents/US20100079356

"In one embodiment, the displayed content may be split into multiple images frames. For example, the displayed content may be split into two image frames (e.g., a left and right image frame for the left and right eye of the user). With two image frames, the system can perform stereoscopic imaging."

Everyone is making incremental improvements here. Palmer is a super bright guy, but FOV2GO is a pretty obvious to anyone skilled in the art.

If oculusvr thinks it's going to coast on its hardware, they're going to burn through that investor cash very fast...
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

I don't know... I think that a device dedicated specifically for VR would be a much better experience in all aspects other than cost.

Sure, it's cool to take my pre-existing device and do some VR gaming on it, but smartphones aren't really designed to be used in that way. I'd rather use a device made explicitly for VR.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

by the way. I would find it kind of cool if Oculus VR would make a superminimalistic version of the Rift concerning housing. Much like a simple pair of glasses with a screen attached to the front of it.
So no plastic and you would have to use in the dark. :lol:
A superlight housing also would be really cool but the downside of it would be probably the fragility.
A fear of mine about the consumer version is that it could be uncomfortable and therefore cut the imersion. The more it disappears the higher the imersion.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Maybe, but we are talking about mobile VR here, something that ovr has made a priority.

when it comes to mobile vr, I think a lot of people will be happy with their smartphone.
Lurch666
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lurch666 »

I have backed this.It could be a good companion to the rift.Like a handheld is to a console-a cut down portable version that you can use to show potential.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

So with such a large variation in smartphone hardware (especially, but not limited to display size/resolution) you don't think the inconsistencies and mediocre to downright crappy experience would be a nightmare for the company? At this point, I think it would do more harm than good to the VR industry.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

but, there is one resource that remains untouched till today.
eyetracked Fovea rendering . 7x performance increase with the tendence to increase at higher resolutions. Path tracing on Kepler Mobile(aka Tegra5) or Maxwell Mobile(aka Tegra6), that would be strange...
And there are still foldable smartphones to come (7inch in 3,5inch format?). We can expect very weird designs....
Overall you only need very weird looking glasses with a naked frame and some folding black cardboard.
A paradise for chinese manufacturers. :o
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Return to “Oculus VR”