i experienced the hmz-2 in a store ( my first ever vr )

Kirito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

i experienced the hmz-2 in a store ( my first ever vr )

Post by Kirito »

iknow the hmz-2 isnt exactly a vr headset but me and my friends where in the store mediamarkt looking at ps3 games and then i found a sign " you can try the hmz-2 out" i put off my glasses ( my eyesight is bad) and the game was batman

i was mindblown my friends said it was just ok and we all got a lil eyestrain

the shop manager heard us talking about the rift and he said he tried it at gamescom

i shouted to him anD?? how did it feel?

he said tthe 720 dev kit was fun but nothing special

and that is my story ( the resolution of the sony hmz-2 was good but the fov was low)
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Re: i experienced the hmz-2 in a store ( my first ever vr )

Post by RoTaToR »

hmz-2 + ps3 + batman? :?

Does the hmz-2 include headtracking? I think not. So if this expierence was mindblowing for you, then.... i´am glad to told you, you did not expierenced (real) VR... (be INSIDE the game)
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

yeah, although i havent tried VR either i can imagine that it is the 'decoupling from the real world via head tracking' what is so special about VR.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

If you already are amazed by the HMZ, then you are going to be shocked how good the Rift actually is.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The Sony is not really VR (low fov, no tracking) but the image does look nice. The resolution, of course, is good (especially for the FOV), the colors/contrast are great, and there is compatibility with standard 3D material (blu-ray, nvidia, etc.). So it's not like the Rift is better on all accounts. However, the Rift is very immersive and useful for VR, while this Sony headset is just a video viewer.
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

It's pretty easy to get headtracking working with a hmz (trackIR / YEI / etc / etc). The FOV is restrictive but the OLED screen is so so much better quality than the Rifts at the moment. There is still a lot of fun to be had with a HMZ. The setup does have other advantages such as the ability to view your desktop normally and adjustable IPD. To me the most annoying thing about the HMZ is the very small sweetspot.

I think until the consumer Rift is out its really a matter of preference. Currently I personally prefer Bioshock in a HMZ (with YEI / 3D Vision) than in the Rift (Tridef) but there is definitely a case for either. For me it came down to the ability to read the HUD / Maps etc. I expect the HMZ's advantages to slowly drfit away with better middleware and of course the consumer Rift.

Return to “Oculus VR”