Half-Life 2 (official) Rift support

headd
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Half-Life 2 (official) Rift support

Post by headd »

theriftreport wrote:
Laserschwert wrote:
GeraldT wrote:”I had a really weird warping issue from FOV not being set up correctly – in the game options I turned down the FOV to 75 and it all looked much better.” from JKCH on /r/oculus

from the R2VR guide: http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/05/11/how- ... video-5730
Nope, that didn't fix it. No matter what FOV I set in the options, lines are still curved towards the edge of the screen. I'm using the A cups, btw.
Same problem here...stopping me playing HL2 which makes me a sad Rifter. Anyone found a fix yet...tried re-installing.
Same problem here still, weird warping at edges of fov. Tried changing fov, every vr setting, eye cups, all give pretty much the same result :(
zerax
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zerax »

Does anybody know if Half-Life 2: Lost Coast working with rift.
Game start up with side by side rift view in start up menu.
But when I starting a new game it crashes to desktop.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

headd wrote:
theriftreport wrote:
Laserschwert wrote: Nope, that didn't fix it. No matter what FOV I set in the options, lines are still curved towards the edge of the screen. I'm using the A cups, btw.
Same problem here...stopping me playing HL2 which makes me a sad Rifter. Anyone found a fix yet...tried re-installing.
Same problem here still, weird warping at edges of fov. Tried changing fov, every vr setting, eye cups, all give pretty much the same result :(

The understanding is that the warp is set up differently than it needs to be for the rift, in the way that most people use the rift.

IIRC, the warp is pulled from TF2, which uses a smaller window of smaller FOV. I THINK it is extrapolated or possibly simply stretched out, and not compensated for.

It may be that Valve is trying not to move into Oculus's area, but the facts are the warp is a standard warp for a well known lens shape and type so there could not possibly be any claims of intellectual property abuse, from my understanding of the situation.

it may also be that the warp is custom for TF2, for Valve's given own internal HMD experiments and when the FOV is smaller, as it is for TF2, this gives less problems. When we go to the greater FOV of HL2, and the parameters are not properly adjusted, this maybe what we get.

i have yet to analyze the command set that is available for HL2 in the console, it may be possible to fix things up a bit.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
b3dsage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by b3dsage »

Is there any way to properly configure HL2 without having to download TF2? It is a MASSIVE download which will either consume my entire internet connection for ~24 hours, or if I place a reasonable limit on it then it will take 4+ days. I'd really rather avoid all of that just for configuration?
mr.uu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mr.uu »

b3dsage wrote:Is there any way to properly configure HL2 without having to download TF2? It is a MASSIVE download which will either consume my entire internet connection for ~24 hours, or if I place a reasonable limit on it then it will take 4+ days. I'd really rather avoid all of that just for configuration?
Hopefully Valve will soon update their HL2 through steampipeBeta to read the values from the Oculus config utility...
Hello Valve? ;)
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Bought the HalfLife Complete package through Steam today...

What can i say, except that HL2 did blow me away! Amazing the atmosphere, reduced pixelation because of AA and good artwork. Everyone with a Rift HAVE TO try it. The 3D is breathtaking.

I did not copy the TF2 setting to HL2. So either they do already access the global Rift settings, or i was lucky enough that it worked so good with the default settings. But my IPD is bigger than average (69mm)...hmmm. Do i have to alter FOV in the console or does it automaticly select 110 in -vr mode?

Can not wait to try it with an HD Rift or with Hydra support for leaning. Will be super immersive!

Unfortunately HL2 Lost Coast did always exit on loading the first level when in -vr mode.

Overall an amazing experience!
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

zerax wrote:Does anybody know if Half-Life 2: Lost Coast working with rift.
Game start up with side by side rift view in start up menu.
But when I starting a new game it crashes to desktop.
Me having exactly the same problem...

Return to “Oculus VR”