Multiple Monitors

npole
One Eyed Hopeful

Multiple Monitors

Post by npole »

Hello, what's the best way to connect the Rift when you have more than a single monitor and with different resolutions? (ie: 1600p).
If I try to run a full screen app, it goes to my main monitor..
If I run it in a window, it's very hard to move it on the OR... and anyway, if it has the borders, the resolution won't match...
If I make the OR my main screen, all the windows icons get pushed there and it's a pain to adjust them back..

So how you're using your Rift when duplicate the screen is impossible? Any help?
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Multiple Monitors

Post by zacherynuk »

npole wrote:Hello, what's the best way to connect the Rift when you have more than a single monitor and with different resolutions? (ie: 1600p).
If I try to run a full screen app, it goes to my main monitor..
If I run it in a window, it's very hard to move it on the OR... and anyway, if it has the borders, the resolution won't match...
If I make the OR my main screen, all the windows icons get pushed there and it's a pain to adjust them back..

So how you're using your Rift when duplicate the screen is impossible? Any help?

It's annoying, but I have 3 X 1900x1200 monitors and I was hoping to run them at that resolution - with the primary monitor duplicated to the rift and having the rift just not displaying anything until I lowered the resolution to play a game. However, the damned drivers won't let me select a resolution over 1080p for the rift even though I tell them to.

So.. sadly, currently I either have my center monitor as 1080p, which sucks, or I change resolution and mirror the monitors when I need to.... Which also sucks.
npole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by npole »

Which driver? I can select 1920x1200 as max res on the rift (it will be downscaled of course).

Atm I've found the hotkey to switch fast from a multiple screen configuration to the OR "only" and it seems to not move much the icons when switching back.. so I press WIN-P right before launching a (full screen) rift app, then I come back when I finished.

I think the optimal solution would the app to support which output (monitor) you whish to use.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

I had so many issues with my setup I gave up using the Rift on my main gaming PC.
I use triple screens (projectors) for racing mainly so wanted to use Rift with that but I get hiccups every time I unplug a screen and then when I cloned it popped up on a USB monitor (I use 2 for other stuff) so I gave up.
With TriDef here I think I'll have to unplug the projectors form the GPU and just plug in a normal monitor and the Rift. It's very frustrating :(
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

Hello everyone,

I am running on triple 1920x1200.
I have a solution, but you may not like it ^_^

First if you are running Unity programs you can choose witch monitor to render on using commands on an app shortcut :

-adapter N (Windows only)
Allows the game to run full-screen on another display. The N maps to a Direct3D display adaptor. In most cases there is a one-to-one relationship between adapters and video cards. On cards that support multi-head (they can drive multiple monitors from a single card) each "head" may be its own adapter.

Secondly it's an expensive solution, that's the one I have been using for +3 month :
I bought a DVI spliter.

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-DVI-142 ... o+Splitter

I bought a simple cable that split in 2 at first but it didn't work, so the only solution was the little box.
It's 250 usd...

I've been a triplehead2Go for 15 years, and i didn't what to separate my displays.
This little box can be useful for other things in other situation too.

So I can run the app normally even windowed, it works flawlessly.

Don't give up your displays ^_^
There are cheaper DVI spliters around, this one is top of the line.
If you have any questions let me know
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

npole wrote:Which driver? I can select 1920x1200 as max res on the rift (it will be downscaled of course).

Atm I've found the hotkey to switch fast from a multiple screen configuration to the OR "only" and it seems to not move much the icons when switching back.. so I press WIN-P right before launching a (full screen) rift app, then I come back when I finished.

I think the optimal solution would the app to support which output (monitor) you whish to use.
Heyup, I have a GTX 690 with v320.49 ... only recently changed to 1200 screens from 1080
npole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by npole »

@Olivier: my problem is not about the ports, it is about the resolution.. if I use a DVI splitter, it's gonna duplicate what? I'm using a (they are really two!) 1600p monitor .. I cannot send this resolution to the rift. The other solution to specify an adapter in the unity apps is interesting, i'll let you know if it works, the problem remains with those no-unity apps.

@Zach: im not sure.. I can select up to 1200p here, and if I set my monitor to this resolution I can mirror it to the rift.. not an applicable solution in my case anyway.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

dont know about Nvidia as i havnt had a decent NVidia card in a while( have an old 8800GTS in my media centre ). I have 3 screen setup with 2x6970's, you can just bind different profile setups in CCC and use e.g. ALT + SHIFT + F1 for an eyefinity display, then ALT + SHIFT + F2 for a duplicated centre screen at rift resolution but with the rift as the primary screen.

I find it perfect, the rift isint on when my 3 screens are on and then using the rift i just have the centre screen in use and the rift. I just open whatever game/demo in explorer on the centre screen then switch to rift profile and lanch it.
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

@npole
Hello,
Well it, going to duplicate the monitor you set it up to.

You can send pretty much any resolution to the Rift box, it will downscale, so no problem on that.

If you send 1920x 1200 it will downscale it to the rift 1280x800, so any resolution will work.
if you switch to full screen on your main duplicated monitor, the rift will also receive the signal.
As another example, as I am running a big desktop of 5760x1200, when the app switch to full screen at 1920x1200 or rift resolution 1280x800, it shows perfectly on the rift, and I can see it on my monitor also. windowed mode works too.

It' a trouble free solution, the bonus for me is that I can view any content on the rift from my main display.
Switching "on" the rift show my desktop. (it's not 3D nor cropped for the rift, but if I drag rift content at the right spot, i can vew them)

Just set up the box with your main monitor cables and let it do it's thing : you'll have output to your rift.

To be more specific to your set up : you have 2 monitor at 1600x1200 right ?
How does windows see them ? as one 3200x1200 screen or as 2 monitor side by side ?

So right now for any app you are running, if you choose to run full screen at 1280x800, what happens ? its streches and deform across the 2 monitors ? or does it fullscreen on one of the 2 ?
Simple.

(I am running on a 690 GTX)
npole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by npole »

OlivierJT wrote:@npole
Hello,
Well it, going to duplicate the monitor you set it up to.
Only in certain cases (see the previous messages, or read the rest of this message)
You can send pretty much any resolution to the Rift box, it will downscale, so no problem on that.
Wrong, you cannot send any resolution, you can only send resolutions up to 1200p .. in fact i'm using 1600p, so I cannot duplicate the screen without downscaling my monitor (unacceptable for obvious reasons).
Simple.
Indeed.. it's simply for those ones with smaller monitors... not for me.. or I wouldn't have posted asking for help. :)
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

Hey Come on Npole, be nice please, I am trying to help here, don't take me for someone who doesn't read or is stupid...

I didn't know about the max res, but why would you run at 2560x1200 and send that to the rift ???

of course you have to switch down to a lower res when running the app... it's overkill not to, you'll never maintain 60 fps on the rift at 1600p !!
(unacceptable for obvious reasons).
Obvious to you !
When building your app and using your pc, sure it's obvious, but when running app for the rift it's pure non sense, so "not oubvious" to me on that case !

NPole, I am spending time trying to help and figure out a solution for you with what I know, so don't tell me to read back, thank you for the "i wouldn't have asked" Play nice please. ^_^

Just help me help you ( or not !)
Ok ?
npole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by npole »

OlivierJT wrote:Hey Come on Npole, be nice please, I am trying to help here, don't take me for someone who doesn't read or is stupid...
I wouldn't offend you.. I just asked to read the previous messages (so you would understand what's the issue here...). :)
I didn't know about the max res, but why would you run at 2560x1200 and send that to the rift ???
I don't want to send that res to the rift, I said that my monitor runs at that native resolution, so the "mirroring" method will NOT works "as is" in my case, so I were looking for other solutions, if they exists.
of course you have to switch down to a lower res when running the app... it's overkill not to, you'll never maintain 60 fps on the rift at 1600p !!
I do not "have to", the oculus rift is another "monitor", it can runs at its own resolution, i'm finding a way to avoid to switch the resolution, because it means: switch the resolution, then activate the desktop mirroring, and when finished you need to restore your original resolution and then your desktop icons are all over the place. This is ok for testing, but on long run it's annoying as hell, especially if you use the rift many times per day.
(and to specify my PC is perfectly capable of running any game at 60fps at 1600p, but this not relevant to the issue discussed in this thread)
(unacceptable for obvious reasons).
Obvious to you !
When building your app and using your pc, sure it's obvious, but when running app for the rift it's pure non sense, so "not oubvious" to me on that case !
I really don't understand what you wrote here... it's obvious that I cannot run my main monitor "forever" at 1200p, I can certainly change the resolution everytime I have to use the rift, but this is the exact reason of why I've opened this thread: to find a way to avoid it! :)

There might a language barrier here.. please read carefully the previous posts. ;)
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

Bonjour again ^_^
There might a language barrier here..
That's possible ^_^

Anyway, I understand your set up :
1 screen 1600p
1 screen 1600p
1 rift
Al independent right ?
As I was asking before :
So right now for any app you are running, if you choose to run full screen at 1280x800, what happens ? its streches and deform across the 2 monitors ? or does it fullscreen on one of the 2 ?

I think we don't understand each other is because when I speak, I speak as if you had that dvi splitter on.
I am trying to show you how it will solve your issues. ^_^

As of right now, when you launch an app, it switch to your main screen. (in 1600p)
So you main problem is how to get the app launch on you rift.
Right ?
(you could use the command line thing for some apps, and you'll run in trouble with some other, limiting your use of the rift)
I understand as I tried that before for my set up : setting the rift as a "main" is not an option.

Here is the solution I have for you :
Get the splitter.
Split between your main and the rift (see this as cloning)

BUT, yes i understood the rift will not get the clone as a resolution limitation ( WHEN USING the desktop and normal windows apps )

The thing is when you launch a Game on your main>>> launch it at a lower resolution "rift ready"
So your main will down res while you game, and it will show on the rift.
While playing you will have your main screen at 1280x800 and cloning that to the rift.

And when you are done playing : everything goes back to 1600p and the rift turns black.
Isn't that a good solution ?

-------------
Otherwise I don't see what else you could do.
There is no solution other than the splitter that I see.
( and I am a hardware tech geek... for 20 years...)

On a side note Zacherynuk the Dvi Splitter is the solution for you too : I have also 3 1920x1200 + a 4th @ 1280x1024
Today the 3 1920x1200 runs @ 5760x1200 all day long. The 4th is happy too ^_^
npole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by npole »

My monitors aren't connected to a splitter, but to the video card.
So I cannot enable the "mirroring" (in windows) without changing the resolution of my other monitors before.
So anytime I want to use the rift I have to: switch the resolution down and only then I can enable the mirroring, but then all the desktop will be moved.
Same story if I make the rift as my main monitor (all the icons will move).
I've found a partial solution that is to make the rift the main (and only) monitor by using the windows hotkey, this moves the icons, but when I switch back they are (almost) adjusted back... the downside is that you do not have the control on the main monitor (so it's a pain to find the options if they aren't rift-enabled) .. and you need to do this thing everytime you want to use the rift (annoying).

I guess that most of users aren't experiencing this because no many ppl are using a screen bigger than 1200p.
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

^_^
My monitors aren't connected to a splitter, but to the video card.
I know, I know, I understood what you said in your last post before you posted that, all is clear. ^_^

All I am saying is BUY a splitter, it will solve your situation !
Even with your big resolution problem.

To say it again with a resolution that big and a splitter you'll be only able to run the rift when you main monitor "the splitted one" will be downrezed when running your games. (which is fine, and normal to go from 1600p to 800p)
In desktop-mode-everyday-use the rift will be non functioning, which is fine too. (because of 1600p feeded to it)

Got it ?
(I give up after this one) haha ^o^
npole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by npole »

OlivierJT wrote:All I am saying is BUY a splitter
The Rift costs 300, spending 150 more on it doesn't look like a convenient solution to me. I'm trying to find a solution that can be adapted to my current configuration rather than purchasing some additional hardware (especially if that such hardware would be used for only this purpose).
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

Good luck then...
npole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by npole »

Thank you.
In the meantime I've found that you can "fake" the device resolution by adding a custom resolution in the NVidia control panel (Resolution > Customize...), so Windows recognizes the OR as a 2560x1600 capable device (whenever it's obviously not capable of downscale this resolution).
syphy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by syphy »

I just thought id post my solution for this problem in case it helps anybody.

I'm currently running a triple screen setup and splitting my centre monitor to my rift via a cheap dvi y splitter.

The only trick with this setup is removing pins 6 and 7 on one of your dvi cables thus disabling edid on one display,
Link to the pin assignments below.

http://stuartconnections.com/products/C ... vi_pin.gif

Also note that both displays need to be on for this to function properly.
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

??
@syphy
What kind of cable did you bought ?
This didn't work for me. (Triple 1920x1200) I had a pinkish buggy garbled signal.
http://www.amazon.fr/0-2m-c%C3%A2ble-DV ... i+splitter

I bought this a while ago and it didn't work. Are you Screen low resolution ??
(so i bought the DVI spliter box)
syphy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by syphy »

just this $5 cheapie
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370705344662 ... 1497.l2649

your splitter will work as long as you remove pins 6 and 7 from one of your dvi cables (rendering it useless for normal use)

im currently running 3x 1920x1080 (5760x1080) splitting the center display

this config only works if both the rift and monitor are both switched on
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

I have to try that ^_^
How did you find this ? That kind of trick always suprise me ^_^
npole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by npole »

It works only when using a resolution compatible with the Rift if im not wrong, so if you run th center monitor at 1600p the "y-cable" won't solve the issue, because (like me) you have to change the resolution first .. and this is what cause the "icons mess" that I would try to avoid.

Btw 90% of the games/demos out now, are using unity/UDK so they supports the "-adpter X" switch. Problems with the menu remains.. but it's better than nothing, while waiting for a "official" solution (I believe who offers a direct support, will permit also to let you run the game full-window on a specific monitor, rather than forcing you on the primary one).
syphy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by syphy »

npole wrote:It works only when using a resolution compatible with the Rift if im not wrong, so if you run th center monitor at 1600p the "y-cable" won't solve the issue, because (like me) you have to change the resolution first .. and this is what cause the "icons mess" that I would try to avoid.

Btw 90% of the games/demos out now, are using unity/UDK so they supports the "-adpter X" switch. Problems with the menu remains.. but it's better than nothing, while waiting for a "official" solution (I believe who offers a direct support, will permit also to let you run the game full-window on a specific monitor, rather than forcing you on the primary one).

ahh... gotcha

Return to “Oculus VR”