Sony, Samsung both claim "world's first" 200Hz LCD

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Sony, Samsung both claim "world's first" 200Hz LCD

Post by yuriythebest »

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/02/sony ... hz-lcd-tv/

200hz = will be very, very, very hard to notice flicker :)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I don't reckon it would do well with SG :(
I mean it is shurely no real 200HZ, but just fake 200HZ to get a little smother image. Maybe it even calculates some middle images between the sent ones :D

Without 3D this can't impress me 8)
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Post by funkee »

Hey Yuri,

200Hz (or 100, or 120, for that matter) is not about flicker. It is about motion. LCD's have a 'natural' blurring because the light emission time is too long. If you do 60Hz on a normal LCD, the image is blurred more when picture content shows motion. More motion, more blurring. Two things you can do: introduce a scanning backlight (expensive and it yields flicker) or sample the image more often. The second option is nice, but requires you to show the newly motion-compensated picture content in between the old frames. 'Tricky' does not cover the effort needed. But, the results are very impressive. Going to 200Hz simply means that they got the trick and they use brute force to calculate/interpolate more frames.
The REAL question is whether they also made a fast LCD. 200Hz is possible with Samsung's blue phase technology but that is (as far as I know) not ready yet. My guess is that this is a slower one, yielding less impressive results. IF they have a really fast LCD, that might open up the door to time sequential 3D again (shutter glasses)
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

funkee wrote:Hey Yuri,

200Hz (or 100, or 120, for that matter) is not about flicker. It is about motion. LCD's have a 'natural' blurring because the light emission time is too long. If you do 60Hz on a normal LCD, the image is blurred more when picture content shows motion. More motion, more blurring. Two things you can do: introduce a scanning backlight (expensive and it yields flicker) or sample the image more often. The second option is nice, but requires you to show the newly motion-compensated picture content in between the old frames. 'Tricky' does not cover the effort needed. But, the results are very impressive. Going to 200Hz simply means that they got the trick and they use brute force to calculate/interpolate more frames.
The REAL question is whether they also made a fast LCD. 200Hz is possible with Samsung's blue phase technology but that is (as far as I know) not ready yet. My guess is that this is a slower one, yielding less impressive results. IF they have a really fast LCD, that might open up the door to time sequential 3D again (shutter glasses)
Nvidia already seems to have accomplished fast lcd with there new 22 inch/shutter glasses setup...
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Post by funkee »

[quote="Okta

Nvidia already seems to have accomplished fast lcd with there new 22 inch/shutter glasses setup...[/quote]

True, but as far as I know this is not IPS or MVA technology but TN or the like. With monitor panels life is different... The trick is to combine speed (like TN for monitors) with wide viewing angles / good gamma (IPS/MVA for TV).
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I agree w/ LukePC1. Its probably some bogus 200Hrz refresh (i.e. interpolation, in-betweening, etc.). I saw one of the 120 Hrz Samsungs in the store and I wasn't impressed at all. Hopefully these sets will pave the way for real high-refresh LCDs but I am afraid the false-marketing will destroy any potential the technology could have had for stereo3d.
LawnDart
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LawnDart »

My guess is that they double 100Hz and put a black frame every other frame. This is common for reducing motion blur. This won't work for stereo unfortunately. One eye would always be black.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”