Hardware level EDID update tool

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
Nick3DvB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Hardware level EDID update tool

Post by Nick3DvB »

A few people have had problems recently getting Doom III BFG running in quad-buffer 3D when using EDID over-rides, mainly users of CRT’s and non-certified DLP displays. One solution to this problem is to update the hardware EDID in the display itself, if you are lucky this will be a 5 minute job (but sadly some displays will require a hardware mod to work). PowerStrip can be used to update the EDID but it costs $30 and I couldn’t get it to work, so I used an old-skool DOS tool called DDCW instead:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/download.php?id=3259

You just need to convert the base EDID block from your chosen inf file into the correct format, then boot to DOS and flash it to the display, and prey your display’s EDID chip is not write-protected, thankfully my Acer projector wasn’t. In fact you only really need to change the Vendor / Product ID and the Monitor name string (descriptor block 3 in Phoenix editor) to fool 3Dvision, some useful conversion tools and info here:

http://byuu.org/articles/computing/edid
http://nowhereman999.wordpress.com/category/appletv2/
http://www.avsforum.com/t/684575/offici ... t_15668517

Those with CRTs / non-standard 3Dvision surround setups and users of a certain Samsung screen might also find hardware level EDID updates useful.

Make sure you back-up your display’s real EDID data first, and don’t blame me if you fry your screen.

Good luck!

8-)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Hardware level EDID update tool

Post by cybereality »

Cool man! Dont think I need this myself, but I'm sure some people will benefit.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Thats some good info Nick3DvB! Stuff like this would be great to put into the wiki when it comes online...
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Thanks guys, I posted on the 3Dvision blog forum to, they have a good collection of EDID inf files going here:

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=2025
http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopi ... =27&t=2027

Also found a bootable ISO image here:
http://www.jeffgeiger.com/Stuff/DVI_Recover.zip

I was amazed it worked on my Acer pj, according to the service manual you need to use a special parallel port dongle and internal Acer utility to update the EDID, but DDCW worked first time, I didn't even have to put it in service mode! I'm not sure why Doom is so strict about EDID checks, maybe its a 3Dvision Pro thing? I've asked John about it in the Doom III BFG thread here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 631#p86589
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

The problem with most of those EDIDs that are at the 3D Vision Blog forum, is that they are missing the extension blocks. The extension block usually will contain the majority of audio specifications and HDMI 1.4 specs/flags.

Also some manufacturers will have a seperate EDID for each connection(VGA,HDMI,DVI).

I'm afraid to flash my eeprom since my PJ is still under warranty.

A programmable EDID emulator would be a better solution for people not wanting to take a chance.
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

DDCW will only write the first 128 bytes anyway, but it shouldn't delete the extensions from the EDID chip, it should leave them untouched, and you don't need them to trick 3Dvision, or even 3DTVplay AFAIK. But an emulator will be better for some, this won't help you get 3D through an old HDMI 1.3 amp etc. I wouldn't worry about the warranty thing too much, EDIDs get corrupted all the time so they should cover it, that's actually why DDCW exists, Dell put it out a few years ago when some Geforce cards had a habit of nuking their screens! :lol:
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

OK I need some help.. I have a Sharp XR10XL DLP PRojector and to get my Projector working in 3D I use a Matrox TH2Go Unit that tricks the nVidia driver to thinking I have a CRT Monitor and voila I get S3D Working NP's..

Now I am confused on what I need to do to get this working Doom BFG..I replaced my INF File with the 1261P.inf file which is a similar Res Projector.. Now Doom BFG Still does NOT work in 3D Do I need to do something else to get the Override working besides changing the file in Device Manager??

Hmmm, OK I think I fried my TH2Go and one projector when IT enabled 120hz.. Damn MY Bad..
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

OK I adverted a major malfunction.. I had to uninstall my video drovers and reinstall plus uninstall my matrox utility and reinstall all is back and working..

I am NOT able to do this hack as my Projector can NOT do 120hz and that caused all my troubles..I did find out how to change the EDID and it in NVCP Said I had a nVidia 3D Vision ready device.. but it did not make me able to wear the glasses correct without my inverter :(

But at least I learned something..

EDIT: I was wondering if there would be any point for me to use a Overide EDID.. I have the Non Certified Projectors working without an overide.. I have the inverter fix which makes me able to wear the glasses the correct way..

When I did put the EDID I did NOT need the Matrox Unit to trick the nVidia drivers to make them think I had a CRT Monitor.. since the Acer EDID was in place and it showed in NCP that I had a certified 3D Vision projector..

I tried it and had a meltdown of the system and it took the above tricks to reenable it ..

I just dont think I need to do the EDID Overide for any reason I see no further benefit.. and in the Future I am looking to upgrade to some Certified Projectos soon..
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well at least everything is still OK.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

cybereality wrote:Well at least everything is still OK.

yes by the grace of god..I was scared for a while there..

But would there be any benefit for me to use an EDID Override??
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

The_Nephilim wrote:
cybereality wrote:Well at least everything is still OK.

yes by the grace of god..I was scared for a while there..

But would there be any benefit for me to use an EDID Override??

Kinda slow on here and even most other Forums I visit. is every body board with the Forums LOL!!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

No, the forums are still happening. Its just that everyone is caught up the the Rift/VR hype-train and not too many people talking about 3D anymore.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

I thought the Rift was a 3D Device??

So is there going to be any benefit for me using the EDID Override??
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, the Rift is 3D but its getting attention due to other things, like the wide FOV and good head-tracker.

If your system is working, I would say don't mess with it. Or just wait and upgrade at some point.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

so I hear the Rift has been delayed, what is the reason for that??

Thnx I'll just leave it like it is and not mess with it anymore just glad I finally got it working 100% correct.. I do plan on getting new DLP Projectors but not for some months down the road.. Hey I was wondering have you heard any news about any new DLP Projectors coming down the pike??

The list nVidia has it seems they are mostly old DLP Projectors which has me wondering are they going to make any more 3D DLP Projctors nVidia certidfied??
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Sorry for not replying about this sooner, I've been away for a few months, glad to see you got everything working again in the end! I’m afraid you’ll never get Doom running in 3D at 85Hz unless John specifically patches it to remove the EDID check etc, he hasn’t replied about that yet. But if you have an old CRT knocking around can get it running on that by dropping the Doom 3 icon into your start-up folder and rebooting with a certified (or EDID flashed) XGA projector connected then switching cables to the CRT after the game is up and running, I had to do something similar with an old LCD controller board (that now thinks it’s a projector, lol). I’m still waiting for a "cheap" 1080p DLP projector to come along, when the 4K hype really kicks-off properly then the 1080p prices should start to drop, but don’t hold your breath.

@Cyber – congrats on getting hired btw! 8-)
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

well back again I tried saving my new Acers 1261P inf info but for some reason it saved my old matrox triplehead to go units inf info??

I am trying to get Windos to recognize this Projector and I thought if I saved the .inf file I would be able to get it recognized in device manager but when I loaded it up it said it was MTX which was my old MTH2Go Unit which I uninstalled and is not even hooked up to my PC now??

WTH is going on and why can I NOT save my Actual INF File from my acer 1261P PRojector??
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

ah well after some messing around I figured it out and was able to save an edid dile..

Return to “3D Projectors”