Viewsonic 120hz 22inch stereo display

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Viewsonic 120hz 22inch stereo display

Post by chrisdfw »

Here is a link to the news release about the 3d capable LCD shown at NVision:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/v ... &dist=hppr

It sounds like it takes 2 DVI inputs. I guess this means the new Nvidia drivers will output 3d using 2 outputs and not be Zalman only. I just hope they allow 2 outputs to work for anyone and not restrict it to Viewsonic and other monitor manufacturers that pay Nvidia. Still no sign of shutter glasses support with the Nvidia drivers I guess.

and here is the text:

SAN JOSE, Calif., Aug 25, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Display Leader's Innovation Enables Blur-Free Video and Revolutionary 3D Realism
ViewSonic(R) Corp., a worldwide leader in display technologies, has once again demonstrated display leadership with the unveiling of its first 120Hz desktop LCD technology at NVIDIA's NVISION 08 event in San Jose, Calif. ( http://www.nvision2008.com). The 22-inch 120Hz prototype delivers rich, colorful, blur-free video performance on traditional gaming, entertainment and graphic applications, while also delivering eye-popping stereoscopic 3D when used with NVIDIA's GeForce Stereoscopic 3D gaming technology.

The 22-inch 120Hz display coupled with 3ms gray-to-gray response time provides much better Motion Picture Response Time (MPRT) than the typical "fast-response" displays on the market today, virtually removing the appearance of motion artifacts and ghosting. This makes it the LCD of choice for extreme gaming, entertainment, computer animation, precision graphic work and traditional computer applications. Features, such as integrated 2Wx2 stereo speakers and Dual Link DVI digital input, combine to expand entertainment options and make the monitor the must-have display for 3D gaming.

The display offers excellent front-of-screen performance, including Professional Color Certification, 1680x1050 resolution, 300 nits of high brightness and 1000:1 contrast ratio, as well as wide viewing angles for getting the most out of fast action games, downloaded video content and full-length movies. When coupled with NVIDIA's GeForce Stereoscopic 3D technology, the ViewSonic 120Hz display provides game enthusiasts with realistic depth, intense motion, rich graphics and detailed images that literally leap off the screen.

"ViewSonic continues to deliver innovative technology that leads and supports the growing trends and demands in digital entertainment," said Jeff Volpe, vice president of Global Brand and Emerging Technologies, ViewSonic. "The 120Hz technology will deliver superb front-of-screen performance and will drive new standards in desktop entertainment igniting the next evolution in digital viewing capabilities."

The first displays with ViewSonic's 120Hz technology are expected later in the year at select resellers, retailers and etailers. Pricing is not yet available.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

This sounds more like a single DVI dual-link input to me. (2 DVI in a single cable through a single DVI plug)
All high end graphics cards use dual-link DVI outputs for exemple to have SLI with one 30" monitor.

But still a good news, the more 3D solutions we have the better for us.
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

This sounds very promising. I hope they price them reasonably. Then again i do remember paying $1,200 for my first 19" monitor from VS (LOL). I've been a Viewsonic customer for 7-8 years and am very happy to see them making an S-3D compatible monitor. Will definitely keep a close watch on this.

Anyone know if this will use polarized or shutter glasses? I couldn't find any info on it.
stepsbarto

Post by stepsbarto »

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Killigath wrote: Anyone know if this will use polarized or shutter glasses? I couldn't find any info on it.
I think since it says "120hz" it will use shutterglasses, otherwise this high refresh rate would just be there for kicks :)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
VadersApp
Cross Eyed!

Post by VadersApp »

Maybe the Nvidia IR-Emitter which is mentioned in the new stereo3d-driver has somenthing to do with this display?
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

More info:

http://www.tweaktown.com/pressrelease/2 ... vision_08/

and the text:

Dive into the game with 3D Stereo at NVISION 08

DIVE INTO THE GAME WITH 3D STEREO AT NVISION 08

AUGUST 25, 2008

News Facts:

• NVIDIA will demonstrate truly immersive three-dimensional gaming today at NVISION 08 in San Jose, Calif. Gamers are invited to experience the hottest new PC games on 12 systems featuring NVIDIA GeForce Stereoscopic 3D technology.

• Several different games will be shown in 3D including Spore, Call of Duty 5, Race Driver Grid, Devil May Cry 4, and Unreal Tournament 3.

• The games will be displayed on Mitsubishi 73-inch 3D Ready 1080p DLP® and never-beforeseen ViewSonic® Corp. 3D Ready 120Hz LCD displays.

• NVIDIA GeForce Stereoscopic 3D technology is compatible with more than 350 existing games with no need for special game patches. GeForce Stereoscopic 3D is part of the Force Within, along with NVIDIA SLI® technology, PhysX, and CUDA. These key technologies are only available on NVIDIA GeForce GPUs.

• The sleek ViewSonic 3D Ready 120Hz LCD displays at NVISION feature rich, colorful, blur-free video thanks to their lightning-fast 3ms response times and 120Hz refresh rate. This makes it an ideal display for extreme gaming, entertainment, computer animation, and everyday computing applications.

• NVISION 08 is a three-day event August 25-27 for professionals and enthusiasts who are passionate about visual computing. Thousands of consumers, designers, developers, artists, gamers, film makers, and business professionals are expected to attend. For more information, visit www.nvidia.com and www.nvision2008.com.

Quote by Ujesh Desai, general manager of GeForce desktop products:

“This technology is killer. When you experience our immersive 3D technology, the game totally changes.
You feel like you’re in the middle of all the action. It’s totally awesome!”
VadersApp
Cross Eyed!

Post by VadersApp »

This marketing is a killer, too :lol:

Nvidia forgot that they had the same technlogy 10 years ago after they took over the ELSA S3D-Team.
But nearly 100% of the future customers don´t know anything about that. So this is tricky.

If development is going on with the same speed as in the last weeks, we will think in 10 years about 2D gaming and movie viewing like we do now with black & white movies.
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Didn't Nvidia fire the head of 3d and give it to someone else last year? Perhaps that was just a false rumor.
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

Does any1 know?

whats better ?

Woudl a Zalman/IZ3D screen be better then 120HZ shutterglasses solution ?? IE with ghosting and movement of head ??
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

staticbuddha wrote:Does any1 know?

whats better ?

Woudl a Zalman/IZ3D screen be better then 120HZ shutterglasses solution ?? IE with ghosting and movement of head ??
Personally, only based on specifications, I would choose either the iZ3D or the Viewsonic monitor because they are both full resolution while you lose half the vertical resolution in each eye with the Zalman monitor. I would have to see a Zalman monitor in action to see if this halved vertical resolution is noticeable/annoying or not.

After that, I know that shutter glasses look very good with a DLP projector. You get zero or extremely near zero ghosting since there's basically zero switching time between the frames with DLP technology. Now I don't know how it would look with 3 ms LCD technology, I would have to see for myself before judging. A response time of 3 ms is fast for an LCD but it's still a bit slow for working at 120 Hz.

1/120 = 8,33 ms.
3/8,33 = 36%

A frame at 120 Hz is displayed for 8,33 ms. Let's say there's pure white in one eye and pure black in the other and 3 ms is the time it takes to go from pure black to pure white and to go from pure white to pure black. Let's say the left eye is seeing pure black. At the switching of the frame, it will take roughly 1/3 of the time of the frame to switch from pure black to pure white, pure white will stay displayed for 2/3 of the frame.

Logically, this should ghost a bit if the glasses are switched at the same time as the frames but if they shut out both eyes during the first 1/3 of the frames, it should look ghost free but with a bit less than 1/3 of the brightness as seen without the glasses. A response time of 3 ms is much better than phosphor decay time on a CRT so it should look much better than a CRT monitor.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

22inch? Lame.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

It's called a prototype so maybe the production version will be bigger.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

just went on nvidia site ,

AT NV08 they where demo straing gamign using 3d shutter glasses,

reads:

3D Stereo Gaming Demo
Just off the GeForce LAN area, NVIDIA is showing off its new 3D stereo gaming technology. Using 3D shutter glasses, a GeForce GPU, and a compatible LCD monitor, gamers can experience true depth perception in their favorite games. Over 350 existing DirectX 9 and 10 games are supported right out of the box, with no special patches or modifications required.

chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

I wish that someone from these forums was able to go to this show and give us the details!

I want someone to corner an Nvidia person and find out when universal support for shutter glasses will be included (again) in the Nvidia driver.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I can't speak for NVIDIA, but I really don't see them implementing universal shutter glasses support unless they go with a home pay per user home licensing model like iZ3D, and I have yet to see any evidence of that. Have they given you any indication that they are planning on doing this? I'd compare this question to dropping by Microsoft's booth and asking when they are going open source.

Regards,
Neil
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

I don't think comparing Nvidia drivers supporting all shutter glasses to Microsoft open sourcing their code is a fair comparison. Microsoft is a software company that makes money primarily on that software. Nvidia is a hardware company that makes money primarily from their graphics cards. If Nvidia wants me to purchase their video card over an ATI video card, then they better make their card as attractive as posssible.

Personally, I am really annoyed at how Nvidia dropped 3d support for so long only to come back and only support those companies that pay them.

I hope that ATI pays IZ3D to allow their drivers to be included with ATI drivers and only function with ATI cards. I spent years telling my friends to buy Nvidia over ATI simply because Nvidia cards offered the 3d option that ATI never did. Now, I would love to reverse that stance.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I know you are angry and upset about NVIDIA's choice of support. I'm guessing the only way NVIDIA could make money out of the S-3D industry if the drivers were completely free and for everyone was if their drivers were the only players in the field (which they are not), and if there were so many adopted S-3D solutions on the market that S-3D gamers represented 10% or more of their market share (I'm just throwing out a number). Supporting S-3D software is very much a hardware question, and money is money in the business world if it can be made reliably.

For now, by licensing to manufacturers, NVIDIA gets the revenue they need, the modern solutions get supported, and the drivers are regularly updated as we all hoped for. We live in a different world now, so the business models need to be equally different. That's my take, anyway.

Regards,
Neil
LawnDart
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LawnDart »

I agree with Neil on this. A company cannot put out a product for free and make that product successful. They MUST make money on it to allow for putting the time and effort into it.

The glasses and display are amazing. There isn't anything better on the market today that I've seen. I believe they will have great success with this S-3D solution and it will push stereo forward a great deal. We will have support and longevity instead of struggling to be heard by the masses.

I don't want S-3D to be some fad that slips away. Does anyone remember slot cars? I caught the latest wave on that one in the US several years ago. I thought it was amazing and invested a bunch of money on cars and controllers. It faded out and was gone.
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

I fail to see how Nvidia doesn't make money off of their video cards if their driver supports all 3d hardware while ATI doesn't have 3d support. I never bought an ATI graphics card in the past because only Nvidia supported all of the 3d hardware.

Anyway, since this is getting off topic I went ahead and started a more relevant post in the General section:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=13730#13730

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”