NVision Aug 25th-27th - New 3d hardware/software?

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

NVision Aug 25th-27th - New 3d hardware/software?

Post by chrisdfw »

I read about Nvision on the Nvidia forums:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=75121

and here is the Nvidia link to info:

http://www.nvision2008.com/

Neil, are you going or speaking at this event?

If someone goes, could you please corner an Nvidia person and get them to answer the question about when or if their 3d drivers will again support all major 3d hardware and not just Zalman?
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

I think they will present the Forceware 180 with Stereo-OpenGL and some intresting "compatibility enhancements" as stated by Neil in the current news (http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/newsletter.cgi?news_id=57).
i hope the "compatibility enhancements" will enabel HDR and Bloom in S-3D, currently it's producing "Fake" ghosting (not caused by the sceen, rendered in the picture... Ghosting "build in").

Also I think Nvidia will present facts about the next card generation with DX10.1 for December/January.

Jamie Hyneman & Adam Savage are a bit strange for an Hi-Tech exhebition... May the Blow up an gpu :D

At all it will be intresting, but its to far for me... Germany --> America and not in hollydays and just after the GamesConvention in Leibzig is finished...

But ther will be many intresting reports, I'm shure
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

iZ3D Will be there. It looks like an interesting event, I can't wait :)
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Great, so can you corner the NV people? And maybe ask them to unlock their outputs in SLI :D
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
patricklupo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by patricklupo »

I attended Nvision for a couple of days and it's now unmistakable that Stereo 3D is very important to nVidia. I spoke to a few nVidia reps and poked around some of their demos, and the following bits of info are from dierct observation or responses to questions.

Stereo Drivers:
All of nVidia's demos were making use of their upcoming shutter glasses; either with the Viewsonic 120Hz LCD moniter or Mitsubishi DLP TV's. I was able to exit one of the games on demo, checked out the driver and it showed Forceware 177.93 running on Vista 32bit. I checked supported 3D devices and Viewsonic 120HZ and Mitsubushi DLP were listed along side Zalman and anaglyph. nVidia just released 177.92, so either it, or the very next version will likely support Stereo shutter glasses. Whether the new shuttter options will be unlocked in a new 177.xx Stereo driver app, remains to be seen. My guess is tha nVidia might try to keep shutter support under wraps until their 3D glasses are ready for market. I asked an nVidia rep why Samsung DLP was missing from the supported list and he said Samsung 3D TV's should work, but certification was still pending. Another rep noted that SLI would be initially supported in the new S-3D drivers.

nVidia's S-3D LCD Shutter glasses:
I was just about to order IOD's DLP 3D shutter glasses, but after seeing the new nVidia branded models, I'm going to wait. These babies are indistinguable from sunglasses and are comfortable. They're very lightweight and don't put pressure on your temples. Electronics, battery and the IR pickup is built into the right side arm of the glasses. The battery is internally sealed rechargeable with a 40 hour capacity. A mini usb socket facilitates connection to the A/C charger. Manufacturer date on a pair listed 7/8/08. When asked about retail availability, two different reps quoted, "a couple of months" and "before the end of the year". Neither would comment on a rough price, but said they would be competitively priced. A rep did say that the glasses would initially be available as both bundled and seperately.

Viewsonic 120Hz LCD 22"? wide screen moniter:
Very nice with some ghosting in bright scenes (less so than my old 19" moniter @ 110Hz though). The Mitsubushi DLP produced less ghosting with the same nVidia shutter glasses. I confirmed with a rep that the Viewsonic LCD was in fact using true page-flipping and the DLP TV was using checkerboard 3D rendering.

Games demoed:
Call of Duty 4, UT 3, C&C 3, Tiger Woods Golf, Spore, Devil May Cry 4, Race Driver Grid, Guitar Hero 3? and Gears of War were all available for free play in S-3D on the Viewsonic moniters. All looked great. CoD 4 and UT3 were using driver based cross-hairs. Some 3D in-accuracies on post-processing effects were apparent; like on the UT3 gun models, but no glaring Z value errors otherwise. All map and heads up displays rendered properly at flat screen depth.

Well, that's it. I hope to have some of nVidias glasses and drivers in my hands by November or December. They obviously have fairly stable S-3D drivers and shutter glasses in-house, so it's just a matter of when they'll be released.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

well it does inspire confidence because now that nvidia actually will sell shutterglasses it will have more incentive to keep up to date drivers. For everyone whose only solution atm are non-nvidia glasses and non-nvidia screens can always get the upcoming iz3d drivers- much cheaper than a high end screen.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Wow thanks :D hardcore info!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”