Confirmed: All 6 Star Wars Movies to be Released in 3D

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Confirmed: All 6 Star Wars Movies to be Released in 3D

Post by Silversurfer »

:D Finally the wait is over, hurray! Just have to wait for production to start. If the prequals timescale is anything to go by we are looking at least a two-year wait between each release. Anyone else care to speculate on the timescale?

Here's how gizmodo.com reported the story:

"Rumors have been floating around about it for quite some time, but it appears that all systems are go for the entire Star Wars franchise to be re-released in the 3D format. DreamWorks Animations CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg confirmed the details in a recent interview with Comingsoon.net saying "Lucas is excited about it" and "He isn't going to put a product out, I think, that isn't anything other than first rate."
Apparently, the cost of converting a traditional 2-D movie into 3D is between $50,000 and $100,000 per minute. I'm sure that Lucasfilm will make their money back and then some, but is it really worth it? Does anyone care to see this or is it just another case of Lucas screwing around too much with the franchise? [Comingsoon via io9 via Wired]

Article:
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/full ... ased-in-3d"
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

well the 3d graphics I understand- just re render everything from a slightly different angle. But as for the actual real life shots- unless he plans to use some 29.95$ 3D-2D converter app this is where the money will go. Probably there will be people that will do this frame by frame. Although this is good news it would be way easier to just shoot the next movies that he plans to do in original 3d. Then again I'd sure like to see what he comes up with.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Good news for an all time star wars freak! :P
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I've been telling people about this for years, finally some confirmation!!!

My money is on 4Q '09 for A New Hope in 3D. The stake is the price of one movie ticket. Any takers?
bustincapps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bustincapps »

It would be cool if the new CGI Star Wars Clone Wars is released in 3d. Star Wars Galaxies(SWG) and Star Wars Empire at War are both pretty awsome in 3d.

I play on Bria as Kan', Ro'lin or Eyla if any 1 else is still kickin around :P Playing in 3D got me resubbed lol
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

DreamWorks Animations CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg confirmed the details[
So the 6 Starwars films will be redone in CGI and in S3D?

Dreams come true, a Star destroyer floating in the room...

Hope for Line interlanced or side by side version, not only anaglyph for the DvD
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

cirk2 wrote:Hope for Line interlanced or side by side version, not only anaglyph for the DvD
Yeah... right... Considering Lucas still hasn't even released BluRay versions of StarWars I wouldn't hold my breath for the 3D-DVD version.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

This sounds really time consuming and difficult. I imagine they will use software to add depth markers by hand to each section of each frame and give it a 'twist". Im sure the result will be amazing.
mykee90
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mykee90 »

Ohh yeah, it will be awsome. Hehe a tie fighter would cut my hair lol.
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

BRING ON THE 3D!!! :D :D :D

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

stee1hed wrote:BRING ON THE 3D!!! :D :D :D
LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

stee1hed wrote:BRING ON THE 3D!!! :D :D :D
LOL!!!
Do you think they'll give me a job?
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

Woo Hoo! That gets my wookie all excited! :lol: :lol: :lol:
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I don't know, I am still pissed from when the first 3 got screwed over and converted to crap looking CG special effects.

The Sabers Do NOT look better. (I of course am probably a little nuts, I own the Tron special edition, a movie shot in black and white that was backlit through aerogels, so I am biased. The old sabers look much more natural and cool in my opinion. Anybody can make a clinical looking CG movie, you have to work really hard to get what Lucas had for free with the first one.)

I don't think I could stomach pixel puppets enough to watch it over again in full CGI, and you can bet at this price he won't do the "old" one over again.

The latest one? I don't give a crap, the "clones" looked like a transfer on a gunny sack was tied over the extras head in several shots, poor quality at best. (plus natalie portman was mind achingly retarded, if she could shut up she might be attractive, but not mooning over dumb-ass anakin.)

So this gets a :? meh :? from me.

It would be nice if this got some good support for bringing movies to the home in good quality 3D, or more 3D movies/movie theaters in general.
SuperDre
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SuperDre »

I hate to brake it to you all, but this week lucas told he wouldn't be doing them in 3D for awhile, he's looking for better technologie to get a better experience.. (yeah well we know what that means comming from his mouth: a fubar movie)

oh, here the report of him saying it's a while off: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080808h.php

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”