Meta AR kickstarter

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
zoost
One Eyed Hopeful

Meta AR kickstarter

Post by zoost »

cerulianbaloo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Meta AR kickstarter

Post by cerulianbaloo »

While that looks interesting, their pitch video is 100% pre-rendered fluff with no proof-of-concept shown, so I'm a bit skeptical. Reminded me of those gorilla glass surface promo videos, it all looks quite spiffy but where's the real world implementation? I did see one incredibly short no audio video below the main KS one, and it looked like some pretty rough early stage graphics. Not too sure about this one but who knows, it could be something worth looking into down the road.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Haha, NO, I've already spent $390 for The Gallery :-p

Honestly though, $750? Seriously? Ouch.
usb247
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by usb247 »

good thing it's $750 or else I probably would've impulse bought this too!
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Sadly I don´t have that much money...

BTW: Why has this been posted in the Oculus Rift forum and not in the VR/AR forum?
It is completely unrelated to the Rift.
Last edited by Marulu on Sun May 19, 2013 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Marulu wrote:BTW: Why haas this been posted in the Oculus Rift forum and not in the VR/AR forum?
It is completely unrelated to the Rift.
The kickstarter link half of the message is completely unrelated.
Unfortunately the "got some money left?" half of the message is very much related to the Rift. :(
The Gallery, Rift Rush, Xing, Amongst The Sleep, Theme Park Studio, Orange Box, and the extra $10 of Doom 3 BFG are starting to add up.
MikeANite
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MikeANite »

doesn't seem worth the money imo. Looks like someone put the PS3 EYE on top of glasses.
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

Nobody is looking forward to AR more than myself. I would love for this product to come out and ignite an AR revolution. But that's not going to happen. Not even close. What will happen is that people will receive a pair of crappy see-through display glasses with a kinect strapped to it and will regret having paid $750 for it. Seriously, VR just reached the point where it is viable for a consumer product, and that's much easier than AR. When the Rift kickstarter happened there was already a very impressive prototype. This thing has a single 10-second demo that it so unimpressive it makes me laugh every time. If this "dev kit" was for real, then it would be geared towards developers. They wouldn't have a 100% CG video with no specs and "int $heads = 3".
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

boone188 wrote:Nobody is looking forward to AR more than myself. I would love for this product to come out and ignite an AR revolution. But that's not going to happen. Not even close.
This is pretty much how I feel. I think Google Glass has real potential to spark the mainstream adoption of AR technology, it could be a game changer even more so than the Rift, but Google hasn't even started talking about when we might see a consumer model. I think a lot of people out there recognize that if a significant portion of the public wants AR glasses and Google isn't quite ready to provide them, a crappy personal video viewer with some cameras glued onto it could make a lot of money even if the experience isn't polished. This thing doesn't feel like the dawning of a new era, it feels like a cash grab. What's most disappointing is that it appears to be working.

No head tracking? No sensors of any kind besides the stereoscopic cameras? 23º FOV? 960x540 per eye, floating five meters away? These sound like the specs of a mid-90s' VR rig. Even if the feature set is kind of a wash when compared to Glass, Google has every reason to sell their hardware for less than the ~$300 it costs to produce. I'd rather just take rfurlan's advice and build my own AR rig, thanks. Apparently I could even toss a few pics of the result up on Kickstarter and retire in style! :lol:
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

AR technology, great idea for buying stuff from online stores. You could take a look on the clothes you're thinking of buying, or that pair of sneakers you think might look ugly. Or board games, D&D.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Seeing the Preview picture, I thought the campaign would be about some kind of Wall-E Robot (which I would have baked immideatly :lol: )
But it's too expensive for me. AR is something I can wait for (like when google glasses become affordable ).

This thing reminds me very hard on the AR Device developed by 2 former Valve employees.
Last edited by Dakor on Sun May 19, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Nedo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nedo »

nateight wrote:No head tracking? No sensors of any kind besides the stereoscopic cameras? 23º FOV? 960x540 per eye, floating five meters away? These sound like the specs of a mid-90s' VR rig.
LOL exactly what i thought, and i can only afford to support 1 Company 100%
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Those specs seem ok for AR, where you want a higher resolution and dont care so much about a big FOV.

Certainly I prefer it to the recent one by Jeri Ellsworth, simply because this one doesn't require a retroreflective screen.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I think the future fusion of technologies pioneered and developed for the rift and google glass has awesome potential for AR. The path is there. This... this isn't it. We aren't quite ready to make the leap to AR.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I'm moving to the AR forum. Has nothing to do with the Rift.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

If it didn't have what appears to be good references from the the guy who worked on Avatar and the Ove Arup connection I'd say this was a scam. It looks so ridiculously homebrew and as pointed out there are some very nice animation sequences but the quick bit of something that might be 'real' looks awful.

There are several opensource projects around that seem to be producing better results.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”