Introducing Vireio Perception (3D Driver for Oculus Rift)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Introducing Vireio Perception (3D Driver for Oculus Rift

Post by Namielus »

I think F4 and F5 shifts the convergence, but there are a readme in the drivers with instructions for that
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

jayoh wrote:does anyone know if the driver is still tuned for 5 inch displays? if so, how can it be modified?

unreal tournament and mirror's edge are super zoomed in, and extra sensitive.
Yes it is tuned for a DIY Rift. I have the SDK warp shader working in a test build, but it is not ready yet.
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

thanks guys.

adjusting the convergence works, but its kind of tricky to get it just right. it's touchy!
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

I built Baristan6's version and the head tracking works pretty well in all of the games I tried it in. I'm still having trouble finding just the right combination of settings to get the image to look right but other than that this is pretty promising so far! Nice work.
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

just put some more time in with skyrim. haha, how much fun is that? i accidently mousewheeled down and went into third person and it was surprisingly cool! it worked almost as you think it would, like controlling a camera behind a doll. wild.

i could see a few minor tweaks and third person will be totally viable in the rift. it also seemed to induce less motion sickness for me. i've not been sick, but the front of my head has been fuzzy after some sessions.

just my thoughts as of right now..
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

For Mirror's Edge there is an FOV mod floating around that may help with the "zoomed in" problem (it didn't work with the Steam version so I had to find another exe online). The core of the issue is that in order to get the correct aspect ratio, I had to cut the horizontal FOV in half. For some games, like L4D, Skyrim, etc. you can bump up the FOV with a console command and everything is fine. Mirror's Edge does not allow that.

At first I tried to use the driver hook to alter the FOV. This did somewhat work, but then objects would be culled (disappear) at the edge of the screen. It was very jarring to see this, so I took it out. There is still probably a solution, as I know they do similar things for triple-head display setups (Eyefinity, etc.). So there is probably a way to get this working.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

A thought I just had. I wonder how difficult it is to reverse engineer the file structures for the assets in some of these games like SkyRim? So you could just open up the graphics data, push it into another engine, and render it perfectly for the Rift. Obviously you wouldn't get all the gameplay aspects of it, but it would be really cool just to walk around the Skyrim terrain in VR.
Bad_Karma
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bad_Karma »

lordvtp wrote:My Order # was 00397

I'm just south of Portland Oregon so California sourced delivery's are pretty quick. L4d2 was awesome aside from hud/crosshair issues but are to be expected from non native support. I've played FPS's long enough not to require a crosshair anyway. Tf2 refines the experience with it's native support, I imagine the vr mode for source will get transplanted or will be able to be transplanted before too long. Dear Ester was both serene and surreal, the lack of head tracking really hurt it though as the game naturally makes you want to peer at stuff. Lack of head tracking on the actual Rift is really the only fly in ointment so far as you naturally expect it to work and when you move your head in the slightest and it doesn't react your stomach reacts in turn. Will try l4d1 and skyrim today and maybe portal...I pretty much have any game you'd want to play... I Rifted for about 3 1/2 hours last night and that was pretty rough for a first time overall!

Thanks.

I'm 1575 and still waiting in sunny Southern Cali...
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Hi, please can be used vireio driver for this :
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=re ... L_C3VMt4wM

The program for realtime fractal rendering is here, it is in open GL:

http://www.quikquak.com/media/DH_Terrain.exe

It is wery small program but with amazing result, really interesting. I am too waiting - in cold central Europe covered by snow :-(
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

cybereality

2 questions

1. Warping for 7" Dev Kit

Any idea when the warping will be fixed on the driver to support 7" dev screen? Like you and I stated it is zoomed in and not the greatest right now. I am going to not use it anymore until it is fixed. I saw a .fx file that had some inf in it but I am not smart enough to edit it.

2. Head Tracking for Dev Kit

I see someone coded support for tracking but the exe has not been built yet. I see you posted you may get it built today. Even if the head tracking is there I am still going to hold till warping is fixed. I am thinking I should learn how to build these exes on my own so I do not have to wait.

Great job so far. Dirt 2 was really zoomed in to much to play. As soon as I ran through the Tech Demo and TF2, I am hunger for more content. HL2 is great but zoomed in and hard on the eyes to get setup looking good.

I was thinking there maybe another way to scale the screen down to see more content, but can't find anything. I am using an AMD gfx card but the over-scan option for Rift is grayed out.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
lordvtp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lordvtp »

Twiddles thumbs, waiting patiently :D
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

put in some more time in skyrim testing, using a really high fov helps smash the game content into the usable area of the screen. the warping isn't quite right, but it's more usable in the 150 or so range (instead of the 110). most of the game ui is on the screen now.

i did fade the ui out and just walk around for a while. it kind of works as a hunting simulator in this regard...
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Here are some screen shots of the warping differences between Vireio and TF2 Valve which is made for the Rift dev kit.

I think Cyber already said this, but you can tell from the screen shots the vertical space needs to be fixed. If anyone knows how to scale or distort these directx9 games that would be great.

Enjoy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
lordvtp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lordvtp »

uuuugh.... I've been trying to get my hydra and perception to play nice today to no avail. Get junk for source based games...tried using the 1.1 ver which displays right ...but when I use f5 to fix the convergence the games force close! :oops:
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Where did you get 1.1?
lordvtp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lordvtp »

Sorry, I mean 1.0.1 :oops:
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Which Source games you try? I just downloaded 1.0.1 I will test it out. I wouldn't think the warp would not be correct on an earlier version of driver, since dev kit is still shipping.

I just tried 1.0.1 it has the same warp as 1.0.4. Also the F5 converge works when I use it at least on HL2.

I am no coder but you can change the values in the text file SideBySideRift.fx in fx dir.

float2 Warp(float2 Tex : TEXCOORD0)
{
float2 newPos = Tex;
float c = -81.0f/10.0f; You can change these two number to change warp
float u = Tex.x*2.0f - 1.0f;
float v = Tex.y*2.0f - 1.0f;
newPos.x = c*u/(pow(v, 2) + c);
newPos.y = c*v/(pow(u, 2) + c);
newPos.x = (newPos.x + 1.0f)*0.5f;
newPos.y = (newPos.y + 1.0f)*0.5f;
return newPos;
}

Changing warp is not some much the issue, but changing vertical space. We need to duplicate it distortion Vavle did to TF2. Otherwise we will have this weird zoomed in look which also throws off the 1 to 1 ratio you want in vr. Being zoomed in vr world is not to fun. You may think it looks pretty cool at first and it does, but then it starts to suck IMHO.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

To manually change the convergence and separation you can edit the profiles.xml in the Perception\cfg dir.
GeneralSAUCE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GeneralSAUCE »

How does Skyrim work without crashing? DLLs are placed..

Windowed / res?

*Side-by-side
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

i'm using a custom version baristan6 has been hacking on.

however, make sure you are running both in administrator mode. 1280x800, non windowed. i'm on windows 7, 64 bit.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Is there anyway way I can download driver without having to figure out how to build it? I just read that cyberreality is not working on this project anymore. Sorry for asking you those questions in an earlier post cyber. I should have read more post. I also read you are working for Oculus, good for you. I am jealous. I need more games lol. I know it is still early so I must. I hope Hawken is out soon. I think I check out the tridef forums for rift stuff.
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Here's the version I compiled from Baristan6's github:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/107270227/Perce ... istan6.zip

Baristan6, let me know if this isn't cool with you and I'll take it down.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

jack612 wrote:Here's the version I compiled from Baristan6's github:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/107270227/Perce ... istan6.zip

Baristan6, let me know if this isn't cool with you and I'll take it down.
It's fine with me. I would have released it already, but am waiting for Cyberreality to confirm the licence is compatible with Vireio.
The way I read it it should should be ok to release binaries linked to LibOVR, as long as the Rift SDK isn't modified or included in the source.

I have a shader that is mostly working with the DEV kit, and will release it later this week.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes, it's totally fine to post the executables. I am working on the license issues now, most likely what I will do is re-license the Vireio software as MIT license, so it's better compatible with the Oculus SDK license. Hopefully I can get to this within the next couple of days. Thanks guys for your support.
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

this is great news!
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Jayoh have you tried the distortion driver? Its pretty awesome zooming in and out of screen with new vertical scale hot keys. The vertical scale is still off, but soon as this is fixed, the screen will be render in correct scale. Super exciting. Did some testing with Skyrim and L4D 2 yesterday. Was awesome. So close.
Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Mel »

pizzy00 wrote:Jayoh have you tried the distortion driver? Its pretty awesome zooming in and out of screen with new vertical scale hot keys. The vertical scale is still off, but soon as this is fixed, the screen will be render in correct scale. Super exciting. Did some testing with Skyrim and L4D 2 yesterday. Was awesome. So close.
Where can I find info about this 'distortion driver'? This is the first I've seen it mentioned. :)
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

Mel wrote:
pizzy00 wrote:Jayoh have you tried the distortion driver? Its pretty awesome zooming in and out of screen with new vertical scale hot keys. The vertical scale is still off, but soon as this is fixed, the screen will be render in correct scale. Super exciting. Did some testing with Skyrim and L4D 2 yesterday. Was awesome. So close.
Where can I find info about this 'distortion driver'? This is the first I've seen it mentioned. :)
I'll post the new version here later today, after I take one last stab at fixing the vertical scale.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

This may help with Skyrim

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9718

Certainly there are 6 files that fix stereo 3d issues as well as the conversion.

May be worth the go.
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

I was mainly just testing the warp and FOV yesterday in Skyrim. I was staying in one room in the early part of the game for testing. I went outside and noticed the shadows were not rendering correctly in 3D, even through a I had added info to the Skyrim config from Preception readme.

Once the warp, FOV, scale, are corrected.

I will start going through all of the Skyrim mods for fixing 3D rendering issues like, shadows, third person kill cam. Until then I will find another way to disable shadows.

I wanted to mention the way Skyrim renders your hands and arms in 3D is not correct. Not a huge deal but kinda of throws you off as you are trying to find correct 3D settings in Perception. So I just sheath my weapons or hands.

Side note L4D 2 testing was very cool. I have played L4D 2 for over 100 hours according to Steam. I played in 2D and 3D on my dual 1080p projector Real D Imax hack setup.

Anyway playing VR is so awesome. It is like I am meeting the characters in a whole new way. It almost like hey guys I am in this game with you now lol. Insane. Just standing there watching the characters facial animations is fun/mesmerizing.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

Can someone tell me how this looks on a Rift.
Vireio OculusRiftView Skyrim1 Test1.jpg
EDIT
Fixed the border
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Baristan6 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Glad I have the Rift at work again today. I just viewed screen shot with Rift. It is an improvement in regards to vertical scale. The scale for table looks correct, not steched and skewed like it was in testing yesterday. I need to adjust separation some more, but don't have the stereo tools on this computer. I will need to test it in game. I will be at home in an hour or so.

YOU ARE DA MAN. 8-)
K701
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by K701 »

Baristan6 wrote:Can someone tell me how this looks on a Rift.
Vireio OculusRiftView Skyrim1 Test1.jpg
Looks fine except on the far left and right edges, where I can see a pincushion effect with a white border due to the way you cropped the image. However I can't see it if I close either eye.

I still pointed it out in case you did it on purpose. In that regard, since the white border is visible maybe you could stretch the image a little more.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

K701 wrote:Looks fine except on the far left and right edges, where I can see a pincushion effect with a white border due to the way you cropped the image. However I can't see it if I close either eye.

I still pointed it out in case you did it on purpose. In that regard, since the white border is visible maybe you could stretch the image a little more.
Fixed the border.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

pizzy00 wrote:playing VR is so awesome. It is like I am meeting the characters in a whole new way. It almost like hey guys I am in this game with you now lol. Insane. Just standing there watching the characters facial animations is fun/mesmerizing.
Lol nice I never thought of this way before, good description! My rift can't come soon enough!
K701
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by K701 »

Baristan6 wrote:
K701 wrote:Looks fine except on the far left and right edges, where I can see a pincushion effect with a white border due to the way you cropped the image. However I can't see it if I close either eye.

Fixed the border.
I can easily see the black border on the bottom without moving my eyes. The one at the top if i move my eyes a tiny bit.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

K701 wrote: I can easily see the black border on the bottom without moving my eyes. The one at the top if i move my eyes a tiny bit.
That is due to Vireio rendering both eyes and the screen at the same resolution. Either loose vertical fov or crop the horizontal off. If someone knows how to change the the screen resolution so that it is not the same as the game, I could get the full vertical fov.
K701
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by K701 »

Baristan6 wrote:
K701 wrote: I can easily see the black border on the bottom without moving my eyes. The one at the top if i move my eyes a tiny bit.
That is due to Vireio rendering both eyes and the screen at the same resolution. Either loose vertical fov or crop the horizontal off. If someone knows how to change the the screen resolution so that it is not the same as the game, I could get the full vertical fov.

how about if you crop the horizontal off and increase the ingame fov to compensate.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

K701 wrote:how about if you crop the horizontal off and increase the ingame fov to compensate.
Like this.
Vireio OculusRiftView Skyrim1 Test2.jpg
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Hi, Mr Cyber,

Just to say that VireIO is sort of working in Project64...
I just used the "Mudlord's Rice Video Build 6.1.3 - DX9" plugin, and copied d3d9.dll from your driver into the Project 64 folder.

The warping seems to be working fine, but it looks like the two images are identical (ie. no depth / parallax separation)?
At least it's playable in "2D" on the Rift atm (duping / warping working). :D

EDIT: Just tried the Anaglyph mode in VireIO, and you only see separation when the camera or objects are moving.
ie. there seems to be the delay of one frame between the left/right eye images, but the result is 2D anyway.

The 6.1.3 DX9 plugin in PJ64 has a few of it's own glitches though - it often flickers etc.

This is a nice start though, looks like it's almost there. :)
I've only tried Mario 64 and Mariokart so far.

I can send you my copy of PJ64 if you need it?
I know emulators aren't exactly a priority atm, but will be a lot of fun to play N64 in S3D.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”