How to realize a triple 3D projection setup?

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
spyro
One Eyed Hopeful

How to realize a triple 3D projection setup?

Post by spyro »

Hi there,

our university is planing to build a mid-range driving simulator. Currently I am searching around for suitable solutions for this project.

- 3 (3D) projectors @ Full-HD@60fps (Which model?)
- Should we use a triple SLI/Crossfire configuration or link 3 PCs together?
- Should we use 3 discrete projection screens or alternatively a strongly curved screen (where to buy?). FOV should be around 180°.
- Any tips for a Racing cockpit/seat, maybe with force feedback (if affordable)?

Is it even possible to realize this with a budget around 20.000$? Any tips for hardware/software? I have read about SimVisuals/HUSIM for edge correction an prewarping. Are they compatible with 3D and a triple projection setup?

Does - say - Project C.A.R.S. even support configurations like this?

Thank you in advance :),
spyro
Last edited by spyro on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: How to setup a triple 3D projection setup?

Post by xhonzi »

I would say that any active projector (read: all of them) is right out since there is likely no way to synchronize the 3 IR/RF/DLP synch signals that each pair of glasses would get.

Motorman's Omega filtering kit would probably work better... but now you're looking at 6 projectors.
spyro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by spyro »

xhonzi wrote:I would say that any active projector (read: all of them) is right out since there is likely no way to synchronize the 3 IR/RF/DLP synch signals that each pair of glasses would get.
Hello xhonzi, thanks for your answer. I was hoping the sync signal won't make any trouble as long as the 3 projectors are running in sync to each other on the same pc? Maybe it should be ok if only one projector actually send out this signal (maybe the one in the middle?)

I also found a video where some guy seems to have a triple 3d projection setup with NVidia 3D Vision (but is not using SLI): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wMBS_bfkFk
Motorman's Omega filtering kit would probably work better... but now you're looking at 6 projectors.
Sounds great, thanks for the tip! But I wonder how you can send out the left and right signal to each channel to 2 separate projectors...? Ok, each of the cards has (more) then 2 HDMI/DVI-Ports but is there any software solution for that?

It seems as I need 3 Geobox 501 just to seperate the signals again, right?

So what I need is basically this

or this

Maybe there is a solution with only 3 relatively cheap 3D-DLP-projectors if they are in sync to each other (so that only one sync signal source for the shutter glasses is working). Unfortunately I was not able to find a projector which can receive a 1080p@60 signal in 3D. They all have HDMI interfaces. We need DisplayPort or Dual-Link-DVI for that and a firmware which really can handle 3D at Full-HD with true 60 fps and not only stuttering 24 fps or 720p@60...

spyro
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

spyro wrote:
xhonzi wrote:I would say that any active projector (read: all of them) is right out since there is likely no way to synchronize the 3 IR/RF/DLP synch signals that each pair of glasses would get.
Hello xhonzi, thanks for your answer. I was hoping the sync signal won't make any trouble as long as the 3 projectors are running in sync to each other on the same pc? Maybe it should be ok if only one projector actually send out this signal (maybe the one in the middle?)
1. I have no experience with multiple 3D projectors. I do have an Epson 3010 that I use for 3D several times a week, so take my comments with that understanding. Maybe it's more possible than I thought- that youtube guy seemed to make it work.

2. Here's the real question. The synch signal is not the same as the video signal. If the 3 videofeeds are coming from the same PC, then the video is in synch... but then then the projectors turn that 60fps/hz video signal into a 120hz/240hz/whateverhz signal along with an IR/RF/DLP "pulse" that tells the glasses which eye is which. I'm not sure how the projectors determine when to start the high frequency cycle. If it's based off of the input frames, then you might be in luck. If it's based on the alternating current of the power supply... then you may again be in luck. Seemingly all 3 projectors would have the same power cycles. If it's not based on either of those two... then you're depending on luck, I think. It might not be too bad. You could be lucky and get 2 projectors to be pretty close and the third one would be off-phase... then you should be able to "switch eyes" on that projector (most have this feature).

Still, I think you'd want to do as you said and ensure that only one projector outputs the signal. If it's IR, thick tape may make this work. If it's RF and has an external emitter, you may be able to only plug one in. Depending on the PJ, it may not support 3D without an emitter plugged in. If it's DLP link, again you might have to check whether a particular model supports 3D display when the emitter is turned off.

However, now that I think about it, you might not want to turn off DLP link since the flashes affect the colour of the picture. Maybe 3 DLP flashes wouldn't be the end of the world.
Sounds great, thanks for the tip! But I wonder how you can send out the left and right signal to each channel to 2 separate projectors...? Ok, each of the cards has (more) then 2 HDMI/DVI-Ports but is there any software solution for that?

It seems as I need 3 Geobox 501 just to seperate the signals again, right?
Geobox or equivalent. The Optoma 3DXL is also popular. If you have 3 demultiplexors, then you still just need the 3 outputs from the PC.
Unfortunately I was not able to find a projector which can receive a 1080p@60 signal in 3D. They all have HDMI interfaces. We need DisplayPort or Dual-Link-DVI for that and a firmware which really can handle 3D at Full-HD with true 60 fps and not only stuttering 24 fps or 720p@60...

spyro
Good luck on that one. I know of no low priced PJs that do 1080p@60hz. Actually I don't know of any high priced ones either... You're right that it's at least a limitation of current HDMI specs, but there might be other reasons as well that those don't exist yet.

Back to the 6 projector set-up we've already discussed... 2 PJ passive rigs often bypass the demultiplexors and just use a dual headed card and render at 3840x1080 side-by-side. That would probably be ridiculously difficult to make work for a 6PJ setup (if it's possible at all)... but maybe worth thinking about. It may be the only way to get 3x1080@60hz@3D.
spyro
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: How to realize a triple 3D projection setup?

Post by spyro »

Hmm, that sounds all bad. I was hoping that 1080p@60/3D this would be no real problem except the computing power. NVidia Surround should be possible with 3 normal 3D PC displays with 120 Hz input and Full HD, right (2 x DVI, 1 x DisplayPort)? I wonder if a single card can handle this in terms of sheer memory bandwidth.

Man, why has 3D always to suck when it comes to HDMI. :(

spyro
xhonzi

Re: How to realize a triple 3D projection setup?

Post by xhonzi »

Maybe you just have to adjust your requirements. 3x720p@60hz@3D isn't too bad, right? That youtube guy made that work a couple years ago, so it should be pretty affordable to repeat what he did now, I would think.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”