OVER SEAS! Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

supermike
One Eyed Hopeful

OVER SEAS! Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by supermike »

Hello Chaps,

For us people that don't live in the land of the free and the brave!

Anyone over seas had there rift arrive yet?
supermike
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: OVER SEAS! Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by supermike »

Anyone from Canada at least get theirs???
alexlf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alexlf »

I'm order #107 in Canada and no sign of it yet. It IS good Friday though, so I imagine it'll be there on Tuesday.
mrbabbage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrbabbage »

Has anyone managed to get _any_ information from oculus about what is happening with backers outside of the Americas? They seem to be ignoring the issue, kind of getting annoying.
supermike
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by supermike »

Yea Easter is becoming a real bitch. I recon 4 weeks for Australia.

"Has anyone managed to get _any_ information from oculus about what is happening with backers outside of the Americas? They seem to be ignoring the issue, kind of getting annoying."

I don't think they are ignoring you man they just got a lot on.
mrbabbage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrbabbage »

I don't deny they have a lot on, but when 50% of your backers are overseas and facing a significant difference in shipping order/time it wouldn't take long to send out an email saying what the go is.
supermike
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by supermike »

mrbabbage

I have to agree with you mate and its a fair call. There is a world outside the USA.
mrbabbage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrbabbage »

Thanks Mike, not trying to be spoilt/demanding. I can understand that Oculus might need to change their shipping schedule it's just frustrating for us in Australia (then again we should be used to it by now haha). Hopefully we here something soon.
SlimJim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SlimJim »

It would be interesting to know whether they'll ship them out individually or in bulk to each country. I think I worked out I should be receiving mine in Australia around late April if everything stays on track. I'm in the early 6000's.
omeDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by omeDev »

anyone here from singapore? thailand? or malaysia?
Lurking in the shadows.
indiegogo has a gaming section:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects?filte ... ory=Gaming
supermike
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by supermike »

So we got people from SEA and Australia. What about Europe? U guys still sleeping?
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Keep in mind that *no one*, not even US residents, has received any shipment notifications or tracking numbers directly. So it's entirely possible that the overseas shipments started shipping out right along with the others starting this past Wednesday. Since they are shipping from the US people in the US will be receiving theirs first even if the similarly numbered international orders were shipped the same day.

As to why they haven't started sending out the tracking numbers I'm not sure but I can imagine a few reasons. They are a very small company with employees wearing many hats. They just came off of GDC today. While doing automated email mail-outs with tracking numbers isn't the most complicated thing to code up they're a brand new company working 12 (or more) hour days to get the Rift to us as soon as possible and just probably haven't gotten around to writing the code required to do that yet. You've got to at least write the code that can read from the shipping database, read from the customer database, add a table and a sproc to track who's been sent an email, whip up an email template and do testing.

I'd bet you wouldn't want them holding your shipment until they got back home from GDC and were able to implement it. You'd say "no! ship it now! just send my tracking info when you are able, thanks!" :)

As far as why don't they just say something? My guess it's because they are so close to having it working they'd just rather be able to say "ok we have the tracking number mail-outs working, you should be receiving your tracking numbers today." rather than say that they are working on it. Because if they say they think it will be ready tomorrow and it takes a day longer for whatever reason. People start being unreasonably vocal about it.

I'm not saying this is for certain the case. I'm just saying there's not enough evidence that you shouldn't at least consider this the most likely possibility. To me it's the least dramatic, conspiracy laden scenario.
Last edited by tmek on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
joakizmo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by joakizmo »

supermike wrote:What about Europe? U guys still sleeping?
Norway is monitoring this thread.
Qoheleth
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Qoheleth »

They started shipping on Wednesday from the U.S. There is absolutely no way the package would be there within 2 business days (thursday and friday). It usually stays in customs for a day or two, then it starts getting delivered to your door. Be patient, I'm sure it's on its way.

I used to work for UPS and in retail shipping here in the U.S. It's amazing how many people who don't work in this field think and expect that Santa Claus magically delivers toys in a day or two for under $10.
joakizmo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by joakizmo »

tmek wrote:Keep in mind that *no one*, not even US residents, have received any shipment notifications or tracking numbers.
Qoheleth wrote:It usually stays in customs for a day or two, then it starts getting delivered to your door. Be patient, I'm sure it's on its way.
As far as I know, despite not getting tracking numbers or shipment notifications, every US backer up to around order 4xxx got an order update saying "processing".
As far as I also know, no one overseas got that order update. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

However, there's no surprise that domestic and international orders are handled separately, and I'm sure most of us understand that it makes sense to ship the first batch to US backers, so that at least some lucky basterds got a Rift on the last day of GDC. That being said, I do hopefully expect an order update early next week (order 50x).
supermike
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by supermike »

Yea i totally agree with Joakizmo and Tmek.

UPS mission statement is not the same as the US Air force.
"Bombs On Time On Target"
DFP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DFP »

I can already feel I'm going to get screwed over by UPS customs fees.
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

DFP wrote:I can already feel I'm going to get screwed over by UPS customs fees.
I've assumed that from the start. If the shipping was ~$35 rather than the ~$70 to ship to NZ the total would be under the amount that customs cares about. Then I'd have had a chance of not paying more. Unfortunately at $300 + $70 I know I'm going to be paying another ~20% to customs.
tcboy88
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tcboy88 »

I am in korea.

my status is still ready, it us not even processed yet.

well, 35xxx isn't quite early, but 45xx in USA has been Ashley processed many days ago
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Correct me if I'm wrong for your country but the customs fee is a tax charged by your government, not by UPS, FedEx or whatever carrier is delivering the package. Just like with any other tax I'm pretty sure the carrier isn't allowed to increase or fudge that number for their benefit, it goes directly to your government.
mrbabbage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrbabbage »

Seeing everyone whinge about customs fees makes me grateful for once that I live in Australia. No custom fees for <$1000, no dicking around, it's the little things ^_^
Mark2036
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mark2036 »

omeDev wrote:anyone here from singapore? thailand? or malaysia?
I'm in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I'm really not expecting my kit till probably May though (i'm in the early 6000s). No idea with customs process here either, sometimes with electronic imports they tend to get "special" taxes or even .... <shudder>.... go missing!

Here's hoping it all arrives well and in April if I'm lucky.
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

Order 23XX. Shipping to UK. Still stuck on 'Ready'.

Had a dream it arrived last night. Almost got to the point of trying it on then woke up. :cry:
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

Order 5xx, shipping to the UK, still says ready. I understand that Oculus have their reasons but damned if it just feels strange. I guess it like waiting for a bus, you wait for ages and ages, while getting madder and madder, then when its arrived all is forgiven! You are just so happy that its finally here.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

'Unassembled Kit' backer, order no. 000315, shipping to UK.
Status is still 'processing', as it has been since last week.
mrklaw
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mrklaw »

Maybe they picked the first units shipped to be domestic, either for simplicity while they get shipping up to speed, or to get more units in people's hands more quickly after shipping started?

Maybe they'll do bundles of European/UK units as bulk shipments if that is easier/cheaper for UPS to handle?
AntonieB
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by AntonieB »

I got the feeling international orders are also shipping.. they just take longer to get to their destination. The status update says nothing because there are dev kits ariving with all kind of states (in the /sales page)

It is a bit of a mess though a simple order tracking link would be awsome (mayb in the comming week they will fix this)
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

This could be wild speculation, but i have it on good authority(my own) that Oculus is really a front for an xenophobic movement, who's only goal is to make non-us citizens suffer for not being part of their glorious nation. It has be reported several times(probably) that Palmer himself has a deep seated racism of European people in particular the UK! He was once quoted as saying "If i could wipe those limey bastards of the map i would" when asked about VR development in the UK. Now some of this might be exaggeration bordering on out right fabrications... its hard to tell.
Last edited by Nogard on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
AntonieB
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by AntonieB »

:) hehe
3dcoffee
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3dcoffee »

Czech Republic here.

Order ID: 00031x
Purchase Date: Aug 1
Order Status: Ready - Your order is ready! We'll notify you as soon as it's shipped.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Don't forget to check this...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... oTlE#gid=0

And if you find it useful add your details (nothing personal needed) to it and update for others

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by LordJuanlo »

Order 14xx to Spain, status Ready...
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

Unclebob wrote:Don't forget to check this...

And if you find it useful add your details (nothing personal needed) to it and update for others

UB
What is the delta symbol for in the E column?
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Nogard wrote:

UB
What is the delta symbol for in the E column?
The difference between the current estimated order and the order before so that you can see how complete/accurate the estimate number of the data set is.

After all this is user compiled data and although we know the big jumps in order numbers correspond to certain things who is to say there are not variations within each order number set...

0-9000 odd, 20000-22000 odd, 40000-43000 odd etc

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
DFP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DFP »

tmek wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong for your country but the customs fee is a tax charged by your government, not by UPS, FedEx or whatever carrier is delivering the package. Just like with any other tax I'm pretty sure the carrier isn't allowed to increase or fudge that number for their benefit, it goes directly to your government.
UPS adds fees on top of custom fees, which itself is dependent on the price of the item depending on which shipping method you use with UPS.
Example:
$200 replacement heater fan
$25 Non-optional UPS shipping

$13.53 total normal customs charges for a $200 item
$39.25 UPS brokerage charges

A $200 fan which I needed to have heat in my house ended up costing $282 total.
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

On that arrival google doc can the US guys please mention that you are from the us city followed by state short hand is kinda confusing when us euro trash are surfing the list.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

UB
It's a nice list and I am impressed, but at the same time I note that it is quite the pile of over the top OCD (tweezers and eyeglass enhanced) Butt picking. :)
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

DFP wrote:
tmek wrote:
UPS adds fees on top of custom fees, which itself is dependent on the price of the item depending on which shipping method you use with UPS.
Example:
$200 replacement heater fan
$25 Non-optional UPS shipping

$13.53 total normal customs charges for a $200 item
$39.25 UPS brokerage charges

A $200 fan which I needed to have heat in my house ended up costing $282 total.
Brokerage fees are a combination of a base charge level for handling the brokerage plus the duties...AND a insurance like fee for UPS paying it ahead of time on your behalf, whether you screw them over or not. The higer the value the higher the fees.

They can get away with such high numbers as you are one and they are many. UPS is Bigger than you and it is only a single stab. What they do is they crank the fees until the threshold of full scale rebellion, then they cut it back a notch. Just like politics and forced change. As much as you will tolerate, without getting out of your chair and curb stomping them. As hard as you can be pushed but still gotten away with. People's tolerance and desire to get along has always been used against them.

In the case the receiver having a UPS account and that account handling the brokerage, the entire episode terminates at being a flat $5 fee per item, or thereabouts, and then they bill you for that (plus the import duties) given two week period. (UPS bills their account holders every two weeks, on average)

IF it was possible to ship the overseas item with a note that it is a DEVELOPER'S SAMPLE, and is free, but has a replacement value of $300 for the purposes of insurance on the package, then the item would arrive with no brokerage fees and possibly no duty.

However, this would require Oculus to develop a form of a tap-dance that could backfire on them, and it is not recommended to begin such a process at this late date.

For example, That the $300, could be written up as a developer's website access fee, a software access fee, but the development hardware is actually free. Such a thing WOULD work, if it was stated from the beginning.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Ugh. I'm sorry the non-US folks are in limbo like this. Anyone sent feelers to Oculus?
rajveer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajveer »

A small post indicating whether international orders are also shipping, or how long till they are, would be nice. Give us a hint please Oculus.

Order number 8 to the UK still ready.

Return to “Oculus VR”