It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 am



Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 GDC 2013 - News and impressions 
Author Message
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 pm
Posts: 1644
SoundSelf.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sou ... f?ref=live


Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:03 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:15 am
Posts: 44
MaxPalmer wrote:

That's a great video. Lots of leading questions that made me smile. Thanks for sharing the link.


Palmer has something up his sleeve that is going to blow us away. He was hesitant when asked what his current favorite game was on the Rift. I have a feeling the Rift is going to get an explosion of support from developers.

Do you guys also notice from all the GDC videos and photos that the Oculus booth is really attracting the attention from the crowd. Seems like most booths are empty, but there is always a crowd around the Oculus booth. Such an exciting time for Virtual Reality.

Cheers to Oculus VR!

_________________
PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: Moggle69


Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:40 am
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 am
Posts: 370
Location: Denmark
I got the same feeling. It really seems like developers are on the Oculus wagon so to speak. The future is very bright for VR.

Did you see the line for trying the Rift? It was literally more than 100 people waiting to try it out. That must truly capture the attention of other developers attending GDC. I'll bet we end up having so much support for the Rift it will be hard to choose a favorite game.

Palmer revealed that the military is very interested in the Rift. I'll bet they already has a lot of funding from there. That it the perfect way to finance our VR experience :D

_________________
www.AwesomeBlade.com


Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 am
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:40 am
Posts: 72
I seriously hope they will release consumer version of OR as soon as possible (the end of 2013 or early 2014 would be great).
I'm really forcing myself not to press "buy developer kit" button :shock:


Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:24 am
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 am
Posts: 370
Location: Denmark
Paintbrush wrote:
I seriously hope they will release consumer version of OR as soon as possible (the end of 2013 or early 2014 would be great).
I'm really forcing myself not to press "buy developer kit" button :shock:


I tried that for a few days and then failed. :)

I guess I am not the only one.

_________________
www.AwesomeBlade.com


Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:29 am
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 am
Posts: 73
brantlew wrote:

Giving demos to the general public is really fun because the reaction is near universal awe - especially from the the completely unprepared. I think after all the repetitious press demos it's probably a breath of fresh air to go do the public ones. I've dragged damn-near perfect strangers into the Rift just to get that reaction - often with the only preparation being "close your eyes...now open them". All of you guys are going to be grinning like Nate when you show off your new toy to your wife/girlfriend/dad/friends/etc...


I'm looking forward this the most. My father-in-law was "blown away" when I demoed him my DIY FOV2GO style HMD using my measly little iphone screen. It was awesome seeing how excited he was just by that little demo. I plan on filming all of my demos when I get my Rift Dev Kit and making a montage of all of their reactions!! :lol:


Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:03 am
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:12 am
Posts: 427
Location: UK
That's a good idea. I might have to film the reactions from family and friends when my Rift kit arrives too.

Strange really - A few years ago, we were hoping to get close to this sort of reaction...


And now we're finally there, but at a fraction of the cost, no giant screens, and fluffy slippers not mandatory!


This is my favourite reaction vid to the Rift so far (Anthony is a funny guy. "Like you're f*cking Morpheus." lol)...


Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:26 am
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:16 am
Posts: 97
Paintbrush wrote:
I seriously hope they will release consumer version of OR as soon as possible (the end of 2013 or early 2014 would be great).
I'm really forcing myself not to press "buy developer kit" button :shock:



I m not a dev but i have buy one dev because we don t know the futur of oculus and i will be very sad if i miss the ocasion to have a HMD. so if you have enough money and very enthousiast buy it ;)

And since i read this forum, i m happy to buy a dev kit because know i want to learn UDK and build a "warhammer 40k space marine " demo.
bolter + chainswaw sword + jetpack :woot :woot :woot


Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 am
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 80
Paintbrush wrote:
I seriously hope they will release consumer version of OR as soon as possible (the end of 2013 or early 2014 would be great).
I'm really forcing myself not to press "buy developer kit" button :shock:


Consumer version can't be released without a bunch of VR ready games on the market. Since devs kits will be available in a few days, don't expect to see Oculus in store before around 18 or 24 months.

Will you be patient enough? 8-)


Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:40 am
Posts: 72
norgoth wrote:
I m not a dev but i have buy one dev because we don t know the futur of oculus and i will be very sad if i miss the ocasion to have a HMD.

I think there's no stopping for VR anymore. If not OR (by some crazy twist of events) somebody else will do it.
VR is simply the only logical next step in computer evolution.

Honestly, the only thing that's stopping me from buying dev OR right now, is that I'd have to wait for it till July (or more) anyway :)

EDIT:
laast: noooo, don't tempt me :lol: hope that won't be the case. In some recent interview they said something would have to go wrong if we'd have to wait till 2014 holiday season for consumer version.


Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 am
Profile
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm
Posts: 741
Location: QC, Canada
So... Those VR-deams-crushing talks by Valve yesterday? Anything came out of this?


Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:28 am
Profile
Certif-Eyable!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am
Posts: 1057
Location: Germany
Paintbrush wrote:
norgoth wrote:
I m not a dev but i have buy one dev because we don t know the futur of oculus and i will be very sad if i miss the ocasion to have a HMD.

I think there's no stopping for VR anymore. If not OR (by some crazy twist of events) somebody else will do it.
VR is simply the only logical next step in computer evolution.

Honestly, the only thing that's stopping me from buying dev OR right now, is that I'd have to wait for it till July (or more) anyway :)

EDIT:
laast: noooo, don't tempt me :lol: hope that won't be the case. In some recent interview they said something would have to go wrong if we'd have to wait till 2014 holiday season for consumer version.


If you think you might not resist forever, then order soon - who knows, by october the ETA might be sometime 2014! Orders are bound to rise - look at GDC, people try it, tell people "you have to try it", suddenly there are people waiting for hours. the same is likely to happen with preorders. ;)

_________________
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here


Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:54 am
Posts: 248
GeraldT wrote:
Paintbrush wrote:
norgoth wrote:
I m not a dev but i have buy one dev because we don t know the futur of oculus and i will be very sad if i miss the ocasion to have a HMD.

I think there's no stopping for VR anymore. If not OR (by some crazy twist of events) somebody else will do it.
VR is simply the only logical next step in computer evolution.

Honestly, the only thing that's stopping me from buying dev OR right now, is that I'd have to wait for it till July (or more) anyway :)

EDIT:
laast: noooo, don't tempt me :lol: hope that won't be the case. In some recent interview they said something would have to go wrong if we'd have to wait till 2014 holiday season for consumer version.


If you think you might not resist forever, then order soon - who knows, by october the ETA might be sometime 2014! Orders are bound to rise - look at GDC, people try it, tell people "you have to try it", suddenly there are people waiting for hours. the same is likely to happen with preorders. ;)


i totaly agree

so guys if u are thinking about ordering a dev kit, DO it now because the orders will skyrocket!

_________________
Image


Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:49 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:45 am
Posts: 35
Location: Hispania
Kirito wrote:
so guys if u are thinking about ordering a dev kit, DO it now because the orders will skyrocket!


As the production rate will do.
Right now they just have 10k orders stacked. Soon they will be able to produce more units than new orders.

_________________
J


Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:05 am
Posts: 243
Location: Vancouver Island
MrGreen wrote:
So... Those VR-deams-crushing talks by Valve yesterday? Anything came out of this?


Valve is a smart company, they've got plans. How I read the current situation with them is that they are carefully picking the tech apart and very likely developing their own solutions.

That would explain why they are so hung up on current hardware limitations rather than looking at what's viable with software right now. Of course, everyone who develops wants the "perfect" VR experience but a larger majority are willing to accept the flaws and limitations to get a taste of where things are going right now.

Thankfully Oculus is being the disruptive force here and getting ahead of the normally super secretive and long-winded backroom development process.

_________________
Image

http://www.thegallerygame.com


Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Two Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 am
Posts: 63
Ha! Loved that Palmer mentioned Chrono Trigger.

I was reading an article the other day about how much money Square-Enix was losing. The first thing I thought of is how bad they need to make a Chrono Trigger 3.

...but then I realized they'd probably ruin the franchise like they have with Final Fantasy.

Moggle69 wrote:
Palmer has something up his sleeve that is going to blow us away. He was hesitant when asked what his current favorite game was on the Rift. I have a feeling the Rift is going to get an explosion of support from developers.

No question. I was actually hoping for some announcements this week. I kind of expected Bioshock Infinite support. Palmer mentioned many times that they're leaving software announcements to the developers/publishers. So, we'll just have to wait and see.


Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 am
Profile
Certif-Eyable!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:49 am
Posts: 957
Location: Norway
Cliff Bleszinski just retweeted me! COOL

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb?uid= ... =6+279&t=1

Im Chris /CafioMedia

_________________
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
Image
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.


Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Petrif-Eyed
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:23 pm
Posts: 2188
Location: Irvine, CA
brantlew wrote:
Just a short comment to say that sensor fusion is incorporated into the SDK and is not something that we are asking developers to solve.


I just want to follow up on this now that everything is nailed down with the SDK release. I know there has been some hand-wringing and theorizing about reported yaw drift in Hawken and I want to clarify that. Magnetometer fused drift correction did not quite make it into this release, so no drift correction was being demonstrated at GDC, but I can tell you that generally magnetometer fusion does a very good job of stabilizing yaw. It's currently listed as an Upcoming Feature of the SDK and is a high priority. If you have more questions about it you should head over to the Oculus Dev Center.


Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:49 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:15 pm
Posts: 555
Bishop51 wrote:
MrGreen wrote:
So... Those VR-deams-crushing talks by Valve yesterday? Anything came out of this?


Valve is a smart company, they've got plans. How I read the current situation with them is that they are carefully picking the tech apart and very likely developing their own solutions.

That would explain why they are so hung up on current hardware limitations rather than looking at what's viable with software right now. Of course, everyone who develops wants the "perfect" VR experience but a larger majority are willing to accept the flaws and limitations to get a taste of where things are going right now.

Thankfully Oculus is being the disruptive force here and getting ahead of the normally super secretive and long-winded backroom development process.


That's probably pretty aggravating. Your boss asks you to work on VR and you come back and say "Well, it's gonna be a mess until we resolve X, Y and Z." And then some punk 19 year old comes up with something that doesn't resolve those issues but is totally fun and workable.


Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:03 pm
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:43 pm
Posts: 61
Location: Washington, DC
brantlew wrote:
If you have more questions about it you should head over to the Oculus Dev Center tomorrow after the internet recovers from our awesomeness

Fixed that for you.


Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:15 am
Posts: 44
TheTechFeed

_________________
PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: Moggle69


Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:08 pm
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:46 pm
Posts: 256
brantlew wrote:
brantlew wrote:
Just a short comment to say that sensor fusion is incorporated into the SDK and is not something that we are asking developers to solve.


I just want to follow up on this now that everything is nailed down with the SDK release. I know there has been some hand-wringing and theorizing about reported yaw drift in Hawken and I want to clarify that. Magnetometer fused drift correction did not quite make it into this release, so no drift correction was being demonstrated at GDC, but I can tell you that generally magnetometer fusion does a very good job of stabilizing yaw. It's currently listed as an Upcoming Feature of the SDK and is a high priority. If you have more questions about it you should head over to the Oculus Dev Center.


If the magnetometer is not correcting for drift, is it being used at all in the current SDK?


Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 am
Posts: 166
Parallaxis wrote:
Paintbrush wrote:
I seriously hope they will release consumer version of OR as soon as possible (the end of 2013 or early 2014 would be great).
I'm really forcing myself not to press "buy developer kit" button :shock:


I tried that for a few days and then failed. :)

I guess I am not the only one.


I tried it for a few minutes....

Well that is to say back in January I took a best guess at the release date of the consumer version to be earliest mid 2014 and thats simply too long to wait. I'll happily burn $300 to experience the birth of consumer VR with the dev kit and all the early content.


Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:33 pm
Profile
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:25 am
Posts: 747
Machinima wrote:
Parallaxis wrote:
Paintbrush wrote:
I seriously hope they will release consumer version of OR as soon as possible (the end of 2013 or early 2014 would be great).
I'm really forcing myself not to press "buy developer kit" button :shock:


I tried that for a few days and then failed. :)

I guess I am not the only one.


I tried it for a few minutes....

Well that is to say back in January I took a best guess at the release date of the consumer version to be earliest mid 2014 and thats simply too long to wait. I'll happily burn $300 to experience the birth of consumer VR with the dev kit and all the early content.


i wouldnt think that its burned. if the consumer version releases in mid 2014 you could sell it a half year before, for i would say 2/3 of the original price.


Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 pm
Profile
Petrif-Eyed
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:23 pm
Posts: 2188
Location: Irvine, CA
Krenzo wrote:
If the magnetometer is not correcting for drift, is it being used at all in the current SDK?


No, but soon...


Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:42 pm
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:43 am
Posts: 72
Location: Connecticut
history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n5B3fl-bU

_________________
AMD 8 Core 8150FX CPU OC'ed to 3.9Ghz / XFX AMD 7990 6GB Video / 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM / 256GB Kingston SSDNOW Sold-State Drive / Windows 7 64-bit / Sony 3D monitor


Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:36 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:15 am
Posts: 44
Rev3Games CASUAL FRIDAY

_________________
PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: Moggle69


Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:10 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:38 am
Posts: 501
BloodShed wrote:
Ha! Loved that Palmer mentioned Chrono Trigger.

I was reading an article the other day about how much money Square-Enix was losing. The first thing I thought of is how bad they need to make a Chrono Trigger 3.

...but then I realized they'd probably ruin the franchise like they have with Final Fantasy.

Moggle69 wrote:
Palmer has something up his sleeve that is going to blow us away. He was hesitant when asked what his current favorite game was on the Rift. I have a feeling the Rift is going to get an explosion of support from developers.

No question. I was actually hoping for some announcements this week. I kind of expected Bioshock Infinite support. Palmer mentioned many times that they're leaving software announcements to the developers/publishers. So, we'll just have to wait and see.



when did palmer talk about chrono trigger...and WHEN WAS THERE A CHRONO TRIGGER 2??????

_________________
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/fulllist.php?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/


Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 pm
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Deep underground


wow, Thanks for that link! I still have my VFX1 from 1997, the OR will bring back my dream. It was still pretty awesome though, I had fun with it. I wonder if we could revive the cyber puck...


Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:32 am
Posts: 342
brantlew wrote:
brantlew wrote:
Magnetometer fused drift correction did not quite make it into this release, so no drift correction was being demonstrated at GDC, but I can tell you that generally magnetometer fusion does a very good job of stabilizing yaw. It's currently listed as an Upcoming Feature of the SDK and is a high priority. If you have more questions about it you should head over to the Oculus Dev Center.


That's great news! This should certainly reduce the drift worries that had started to emerge in the forum :)


Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyable!

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 pm
Posts: 1139
Zoide wrote:
brantlew wrote:
Magnetometer fused drift correction did not quite make it into this release, so no drift correction was being demonstrated at GDC, but I can tell you that generally magnetometer fusion does a very good job of stabilizing yaw. It's currently listed as an Upcoming Feature of the SDK and is a high priority. If you have more questions about it you should head over to the Oculus Dev Center.


That's great news! This should certainly reduce the drift worries that had started to emerge in the forum :)

Actually, that's very disappointing news. I expected that they had already implemented sensor fusion. But it's good that they are working on it. Cockpit games need drift correction.


Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:11 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 27
Whoops. I accidentally made a new thread when I should have probably just put this here.

Tuscany Razer Hydra Demo



http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/03/30/gdc-2013-oculus-rift-razer-hydra-tuscany-unity-demo-4401


Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:25 am
Profile
Cross Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:09 am
Posts: 101
Location: Finland
totallymichael wrote:
Whoops. I accidentally made a new thread when I should have probably just put this here.

Tuscany Razer Hydra Demo

[youtube] 07IwxUD8N8E [/youtube]

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/03/30/gdc-2013-oculus-rift-razer-hydra-tuscany-unity-demo-4401

This is really cool! :woot


Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:32 am
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 131
Wow, yeah that Hydra demo is very cool. Hopefully Sixense releases it for some of the Rift + Hydra users to play around with.


Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:45 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:05 am
Posts: 243
Location: Vancouver Island
totallymichael wrote:
Whoops. I accidentally made a new thread when I should have probably just put this here.

Tuscany Razer Hydra Demo



http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/03/30/gdc-2013-oculus-rift-razer-hydra-tuscany-unity-demo-4401


That's great to see. We're working directly with Sixense and Razer right now to bring additional interactivity to The Gallery ;) Can't wait to show you guys!

_________________
Image

http://www.thegallerygame.com


Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Two Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:08 pm
Posts: 64
That Tuscany razer hydra demo made me immediately think of a hydra/rift VR shadowgate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVBqxc3U4DU

Maybe someday. :)

Edit: the gallery first of course. ;)


Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:55 am
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 am
Posts: 166
Wow. i'm very close to being sold on the idea of getting a Hydra, looks really cool!


Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:30 am
Profile
Certif-Eyable!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am
Posts: 1057
Location: Germany
Bishop51 wrote:
That's great to see. We're working directly with Sixense and Razer right now to bring additional interactivity to The Gallery ;) Can't wait to show you guys!


Awesome. Their hands seem pretty evolved, I hope they make them available for Unity in the future.

_________________
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here


Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:38 am
Posts: 252
Bishop,

One thing I noticed in the Hydra Gallery demo was how dead hands look. Any thoughts on dealing with that? Maybe triggers could close the hand? Also an idle animation?


Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:15 pm
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:05 am
Posts: 243
Location: Vancouver Island
rmcclelland wrote:
Bishop,

One thing I noticed in the Hydra Gallery demo was how dead hands look. Any thoughts on dealing with that? Maybe triggers could close the hand? Also an idle animation?


Oh absolutely. We are incorporating smart snapping points with object specific animations that lock to specific hand-forms. Thing is, that's just a cost/time issue more than anything else. We need the time and money to get that stuff happening in-engine.

_________________
Image

http://www.thegallerygame.com


Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DrBeef, Google [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.