Infosys develops 3D cellphone cameras, projectors

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Infosys develops 3D cellphone cameras, projectors

Post by Silversurfer »

Engadget.com bring the news of 3-D cellphone images here:

"We've seen a couple handheld 3D devices, but Infosys just announced that developed a chipset capable of capturing and projecting 3D holograms from ordinary cellphones, and that it hopes to take the tech mainstream by 2010. The system captures a series of 2D images from normal cameras and uses them to develop 3D holograms, projecting received images using a laser projector and micro optical elements. Infosys also had a patent granted on the system required to transmit 3D data over normal telecom networks without clogging them up -- the data is transmitted unprocessed, and the chipsets at either end do the heavy lifting. There's no word on what devices this stuff might appear in, but we're wondering what that laser system is supposed to project onto -- or if we'll have to take up smoking to get our 3D on.
Article:
http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc ... 316878916/"

I know that these very small Pico projectors (the size they cigarette packet) are going to be the rage later this year/early next year but who knew 3-D would be following in its footsteps onto cellphones. strange but I won't believe that until I see it, what do you think ?
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Depending on the laser it could project directly into the eyes...
That would be pretty good for HMD's, too, because you should have a higher FOV...

I'm not shure about them either, but there was a prototype with 2 cameras, too. There is hope 8)
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

LukePC1 wrote:Depending on the laser it could project directly into the eyes...
That would be pretty good for HMD's, too, because you should have a higher FOV...
Yeah, I've been thinking about the whole projecting directly onto the eyes thing, but with lasers? Surely that can't be safe...
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

It depends on duration the beam is on a spot and on the intensity of course. I bet there are leasers of such a low power, that it does not hurt. At least not, if every spot is only enlighted by a fraction of a second...

100hz*1mio pixels = ca 1/100mio of a second that the beam is on every 'pixel' (don't know the biological term) of the eye...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

LukePC1 wrote:It depends on duration the beam is on a spot and on the intensity of course. I bet there are leasers of such a low power, that it does not hurt. At least not, if every spot is only enlighted by a fraction of a second...

100hz*1mio pixels = ca 1/100mio of a second that the beam is on every 'pixel' (don't know the biological term) of the eye...

I knew I should've paid attention in science class :?
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”