Lamp-free DLP

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
dr_barnowl
One Eyed Hopeful

Lamp-free DLP

Post by dr_barnowl »

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080619PR202.html

Since the lamp has been replaced with LED as a light source, it's presumably much cheaper to run because you're not shelling out hundreds of dollars for bulbs.

Because it's DLP it's suitable for S3D purposes.

With any luck the fabrication costs are nice and cheap as well ; a double-barrelled model with dual inputs for S3D use can't be far away....
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

Ah yes, I was expecting these. Eagerly waiting... :)
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

I am curious why it is such an engineering accomplishment to produce a 3d capable DLP projector.

It appears the latest that are 3d capable only work by sending a video signal for each seperate display instead of simply doing 120hz and pageflipping on a single video signal. All they have to do is increase the refresh rate and allow 120hz. I know there is a limit to the current HDMI bandwidth that prevents this but there isn't a limit on standard VGA. I have no idea if there is the same limitiation on DVI but since DVI to HDMI conversions can occur with just a cable with the different connector on each end I guess DVI could have the same bandwidth limitation.

All I want is simple 1024X768 or better DLP projector capable of 120hz over standard VGA and nobody will make one!
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

It's already possible to display at 120 Hz. Some projectors do 1080p24. They take something recorded at 24 fps and they display it at 120 Hz (they show the same frame many times in a row). That's probably why some Optoma projectors show 120 Hz as their maximum vertical refresh rate. It's only a step further to add a second input on the back of the projector, add a sync port for glasses and display the two inputs one after the other. All the technology is there already. From what I've read, they now make DLP DMD that are real 1080p (one mirror per pixel).

I say it's simpler to add a second DVI or HDMI input on the back to get one input per eye. That way you're not limited by the DVI/HDMI bandwidth and you're not relying on outputting left and right picture one after another (hard to get right on Windows because it's not a realtime OS). You just need two inputs running at 60 Hz and they can both be as high as 1920x1080 for 1080p gaming.

chrisdfw, I want one too. I want it to be at least 1024x768, 1280x760 or 1920x1080. I think the time is close for that to come out (hopefully this year or next year).
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I was interested in this about 2 years ago (Lumenlab forum member, some of the DIY guys have been experimenting for a while), but now the real interest is in "DLP" style Laser projectors, 2-axis mirror will allow you to "paint" the picture in much the same way as a CRT (regular old TV) does.

Benefits? No focusing, lasers are focused permanently. One moving part, a microscopic mirror that tilts in 2 axis. Small and light projector that shouldn't overheat.

Aren't LED and LASER similar technologies? I could be way off, but I thought the invention of a blue LED was something that helped with the invention of the blue laser. Regardless, BluRay has made production of blue lasers cheaper, so I don't see a problem with a laser projector.

Before:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/editori ... s-and-pdas

Recently:
http://popsci.typepad.com/popsci/2008/0 ... n-pre.html
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

LED has replaced the traditional lamp in the vast majority of Samsungs DLP HDTV's. I thought i read somewhere that Samsung or Mitsubishi had announced a "laser" HDTV??
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

pixel67 wrote:I thought i read somewhere that Samsung or Mitsubishi had announced a "laser" HDTV??
A New Dimension in Home Theater: LaserTV and 3D

Mitsubishi LaserTVs not only provide the ultimate picture quality,
they are also capable of delivering a true 3D viewing experience,
demonstrating the company's continued commitment to set the standard
for entertainment viewing by partnering with Hollywood on
next-generation entertainment solutions. At the LaserTV launch event
at the Palms Hotel on Monday, Mitsubishi teamed with leading 3D
digital technology provider REAL D to demonstrate the most advanced 3D
content available today.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/08/mits ... -unveiled/

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”