Philips debuts 22-inch auto-stereoscopic 3D monitor

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

this is great, however when I hear about these new 3d capable screens I usually ask myself "what's the point". Not in the sense that 3d isn't the future and isn't absolutely amazing, but:

1. no recent drivers/ poor drivers for games.
2. very few 3d movies available - around 20-30 and that's if you've bought everything from every site.

guess it's a chicken and the egg type of dilema....
gimme some iz3d drivers for me shutterglasses and I'm happy :)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

yuriythebest1 wrote:this is great, however when I hear about these new 3d capable screens I usually ask myself "what's the point". Not in the sense that 3d isn't the future and isn't absolutely amazing, but:

1. no recent drivers/ poor drivers for games.
2. very few 3d movies available - around 20-30 and that's if you've bought everything from every site.

guess it's a chicken and the egg type of dilema....
Well I can agree, there is a serious lack of content (especially 3d-dvd). Seriously, where is Beowulf? What are they waiting for? Blu-ray can handle S3D, full HD dual streams. We have Samsung and other 3d plasmas on the market. All these companies are jumping on it, but where is the content? I'd be happy if they could go through the vault and just restore all the existing 3d movies in full 3DHD. The technology is all here already but people are sleeping at the job. So yeah, I hear that.

But the hardware manufactures are the ones that need to pave the way. You can't write software for hardware that doesn't exist. You can, however, develop hardware without the software. So obviously they have to bring out the 3d sets first. You have to think that if these people could invent a 3d monitor they would have to know what the current state of S3D content is. Surely they must know about all the compatibility issues with games, so I'm sure they are planning something.
uberdeity
One Eyed Hopeful

Fantastic!

Post by uberdeity »

Autostereoscopy is probably the way forwards for a lot of people- no nerdy looking glasses or intimidating headsets. Just get it rolling out to professional gamers and maybe even professional 3D modellers/3D CAD guys at a decent price with decent performance. Get people's co-workers oohing and aahing at the new disply, have [for example] Fatal1ty start using these screens to rack up some serious frag counts.

Essentially, as it doesn't need anything extra to work and as it's from a mainstream manufacturer it means that this is now an almost mainstream-ready product. It should be literally plug-and-play.

If it's at a decent price range- unlikely, but possible- I'd be tempted to get one for home and try to get one for work too.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”