Zalman Trimon Mini-Review

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Zalman Trimon Mini-Review

Post by cybereality »

I've been a little busy lately but I wanted to post a quick mini-review for the Zalman Trimon 22" 3D monitor. I actually got into an accident and I'm stuck in a wheel-chair, but I just got out the hospital (yeeaaaa!!!!). That said I haven't got much of a chance to play with the monitor lately, but I did get to test it before I got hurt. Anyway, heres my little mini-review while its still somewhat fresh in my mind. I'll took pictures and stuff for a full review at a later time, this is just a teaser.

The Zalman Trimon is hands down the best stereo 3d I've ever seen on a home platform. I have not tried the iz3d and don't wish to make this about comparing them. Both are comparable solutions and both have pros and cons. However I am very happy with my purchase of the Zalman Trimon monitor and do not regret my choice at all. The picture quality is totally crisp and crystal clear. In the right hot-spot there is practically zero ghosting (aka stereo cross-talk). If you move your head around the image begins to ghost but once you move to the right spot its not an issue. The Trimon also has a very smooth adjustable neck similar to the old one-piece iMacs. Really this is one of the best monitors I've ever had the pleasure of using, 3D or 2D, its really that good. The screen itself is highly glossy, which I consider a pro, it gives great colors. Other people might not like the gloss so its something to keep in mind. The 3D glasses themselves are comfortable and easy to use (passive polarized) and a clip-on set is also included if you wear glasses already. Overall an outstanding package, worth every penny.

In terms of gaming I've only tried a few compatible games but they worked great. On Windows Vista I played Bioshock and it was simply amazing. On a high-end rig in 3d this was not even the same game I played on Xbox360 last year. Really I was blown away by the graphics on Bioshock in stereo3d. Some other titles I tried didn't work as well, games like GRID worked but not as good as Bioshock. Nvidia could work on the compatibility a bit more. On XP I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004 and boy was it intense. The Trimon monitor took this game to another level, past even what I've seen with shutter-glasses. What I got was a ghost-free, flicker-free, full-color crstal clear stereo 3d image. Really, its the only way to play. It even blew the VR920 HMD headset out the water in this game. I will admit the VR920 was capable of a deeper image, meaning the rooms looked bigger, but that was the only advantage. Otherwise the Zalman Trimon was easier and more comfortable to play while offering a high-resolution a full refresh-rate among other technical benefits. Really, I can't got back to those other stereo solutions now, the Trimon really is worth the ticket price. Half-Life 2 Episode 1 was simply breath-taking once setup properly. It really took the game to new heights. Highly recommended. I also tried Crysis under Vista and it looked awesome but I'll need to wait for a new video card to come out before this game will be fully playable in stereo3d. The only downside was the spotty compatibility, read up on the supported games list before you buy. Otherwise I was very happy with the product. It also matched well with my existing 22" widescreen 2D monitor, so now I've got a dual monitor setup going, much to my liking. Overall I'm a happy camper.

I can safely recommend the Zalman Trimon to other experienced stereo3d gamers. If you have never gamed in 3d before, the Trimon might be a little complex to get working, but worth the effort. But a cheaper solution may be better for a newbie looking to get their feet wet. Overall a high-quality product and a great monitor for both 2D and 3D purposes. I've been gaming in stereo3d for many years so this is not a light recommendation. Zalman has earned its place in history, this monitor is a real gem.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I wish you a fast recovery form the accident.

Thanks for posting the review/teaser. I think it has a LOT of superlatives for this screen :lol:
But you have to consider, the pricing. It is way more expencive than VR920 and even IZ3D. Maybe a DLP rig would be equal. And it's about in the same price range. I would expect a top screen for so much money. This happened aparently. Unfortunatly the (driver) support seems to be not the biggest pro :?

Well maybe you'll be able to get a second driver for it made by IZ3D. Of course that would add to the price again :wink:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Woah! That sounds like a terrible accident you went through, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Can you read the Crysis review I wrote and post your thoughts in the attached thread? I did not have the same experience you did with Crysis, and if I'm doing something wrong, I'd like to know so I can update the review accordingly.

Regards,
Neil
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I've read that the Zalman screen uses polarization arranged in horizontal lines. If it's like that, it means each eye sees black horizontal lines between each lines of visible pixels. Are these black lines annoying to see and do they cause problem with reading text in games?

It's roughly twice the resolution of the VR920 so it's roughly twice the price. :wink:
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hope you recover soon! At least you have something to play with during the time. :oops:
Good to know that you enjoy your purchase.
I have always wondered: If you should split the polarization on a screen in a checkerboard pattern instead of lines the interlacing effect wouldn't be too bad. ANy other with ideas?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wish you a speedy recovery

I don't thing the vertical resolution halving would be an issue- with shutterglasses it's also halved yet you don't notice it.
Yeah zero ghosting would rule. The only thing that makes me apprehensive of the zalman is to my knowledge it only works on vista.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

cybereality, sorry to hear of your accident and hope the best on your recovery!

I'm glad to read your review and that it really impressed you. One thing I either missed or it wasn't there is that it only requires one video output to drive it, correct? For my setup this would be a killer combo.
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Post by funkee »

Likay wrote:Hope you recover soon! At least you have something to play with during the time. :oops:
I have always wondered: If you should split the polarization on a screen in a checkerboard pattern instead of lines the interlacing effect wouldn't be too bad. ANy other with ideas?
You would be in trouble with the viewing angle. Currently the split in polarization is done in a plate in front of the LCD screen, and this leads to a limited vertical sweet spot but and acceptable horizontal one. If you switch to a checkerboard first of all the retarder plate would be a LOT more difficult to make, but the result would be a horrible horizontal viewing sweet spot. Not feasible, I think
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Post by funkee »

stee1hed wrote:cybereality, sorry to hear of your accident and hope the best on your recovery!

I'm glad to read your review and that it really impressed you. One thing I either missed or it wasn't there is that it only requires one video output to drive it, correct? For my setup this would be a killer combo.
It requires one DVI output, yes. And it comes with NVIDIA drivers (well, my one did, at least).
StereoGaming4Me
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by StereoGaming4Me »

I tried looking up the manufacturers website for compatible games and it is down, a korean site too. Exactly where are these made?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

funkee wrote:
Likay wrote:Hope you recover soon! At least you have something to play with during the time. :oops:
You would be in trouble with the viewing angle. Currently the split in polarization is done in a plate in front of the LCD screen, and this leads to a limited vertical sweet spot but and acceptable horizontal one. If you switch to a checkerboard first of all the retarder plate would be a LOT more difficult to make, but the result would be a horrible horizontal viewing sweet spot. Not feasible, I think
Very true. The polarizing layer has to be very close to the original lcd. If the lcd it self has a thick glasslayer in front of the pixelelements this cannot be accomplished. Still like the idea though. :D
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Likay wrote:
funkee wrote:
Very true. The polarizing layer has to be very close to the original lcd. If the lcd it self has a thick glasslayer in front of the pixelelements this cannot be accomplished. Still like the idea though. :D
I remember that BlackQ said he would know, how expencive these polarizers are... and that IZ3D with their second LCD panel ARE competetive to Zalman! And now imagine to make an even more complex polarizer... Zalman is more expencive than IZ3D even now!

I was thinking it would cost only some cents and maybe ins some time every screen would be interlaced or checkerboarded... but that won't be the case - except S-3d goes mainstreem...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Thanks for all your support. Let me try to address some of the questions.

The big one is the issues with the interlace format. For the most part its not a big issue. While watching videos or games its barely noticable. Text, however, is un-readable. You have to take the glasses off to read the text (or move your head far enough from the hotspot that you see both views). Either way its a hastle, however only with small text. Watching videos or in many games, like Unreal Tourney 2004, its not an issue at all. It just depends what you are doing. The important thing to look at is that I don't notice the black lines at all in those situations. It looks like normal due to the high resolution. Overall a minor complaint that I can live with.

In terms of Crysis, you need to tweak it out to get proper stereo3d. I was using this custom CVar mod which helped overcome some issues. I'll post a link if I can find it.

AFAIK, the Zalman only works with the Nvidia drivers at the moment. It can work in XP with an older videocard (NV 7 series) but only in Vista w/ a modern PC. I tested both, both were impressive.

Like I said before, I've never used the iz3D so I can't say which is better. The iz3D has much better driver support and its cheaper, so it gets the recommendation for newbies. If you are more experienced with stereo3d and are comfortable with the nvidia drivers then the Zalman is not a bad choice either. Mainly I wanted to make the distinction that the Trimon monitor is better than older solutions like shutter-glasses. I heard some people claiming SGs were better and they clearly didn't set the monitor up properly. Overall I'm happy with the purchase, although it was a little more expensive than I would have liked.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm able to run Crysis on the Zalman with the iZ3D drivers. There was a crash because of beta driver bugs, but it is playable. More than that, it was on my NVIDIA machine which was unexpected. Let's see what happens with the next version.

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Neil wrote:I'm able to run Crysis on the Zalman with the iZ3D drivers.
wow awesome news! So no more need to hack stuff to get crysis to work? :) Once 1.09 will become stable it will be the awesomest driver ever.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”